Touring New Mexico - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Jan 21st, 2009, 1:12 pm Thread Starter

Question Touring New Mexico

My wife and I are headed to New Mexico this early September for our first trip to this state. We like to visit historic sites and enjoy the road less traveled and closer to the land and scenery. It seems there are 2 BMW dealers in N. M., one in Albequerque and one in Santa Fe where we will be staying. We have a week to vaction and have only time to allow for a 2 day bike tour somewhere and a hotel overnight. We want to rent an LT or RT, but it seems the only choice I've found via the net is an Electra Glide. Any touring tips or experiences from the members will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time to write me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Jan 21st, 2009, 2:28 pm

Re: Touring New Mexico

Oh, Joy, New Mexico! one of my favorite states for riding. Especally the north central portions, anywhere within a hundred miles of Taos.

If you're going to be there in early September, I strongly suggest you check out the New Mexico BMW club's annual rally, the Bavarian Mountain Weekend, located not far north of Sante Fe, in truly one of the best motorcycle roads and scenery I've experienced. Take a look at

http://nmbmwmc.org/sipapu.htm

Some recommended riding would include north from Sante Fe, on "the High Road" (historic route, photo attached) to Taos, through the villages of Chemayo (famous for delicious chili's) Truchas (where movie "The Milagro Beanfield War" was filmed, a great movie by the way), and on over the mountains to Taos.

From Taos don't miss riding "The Enchanted Circle" about 125miles, a beautiful loop that includes Angel Fire, NM Vietnam Memorial (very moving), Red River, and more.

North and west of Taos, the routes to the towns of Tres Piedras, Chama, Dulce, and more are among some of the best unspoiled and undeveloped mountain scenery imaginable.

I've returned to this part of NM three times since "discovering" it in 2007, and plan to return again this year at least once.

I'll try to get some highway numbers this evening when I get home where my maps are.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	High road to Taos.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	21514  

Bob Allred
Riverton, Utah
'03 K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 old Airheads & 1 Oilhead

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Allred; Jan 21st, 2009 at 2:29 pm. Reason: spelling
post #3 of 14 Old Jan 21st, 2009, 2:43 pm
Lifetime Supporter

A couple of suggestions if you are using Santa Fe as your home base. The "Enchanted Circle", starting in Taos and going counterclockwise, Route 64, 38, and 522 takes you through some beautiful mountain scenery. Also the roads from Espanola to Taos, Routes 76, 75, and 518.

In western NM, eastern AZ don't miss US 180 and 191 (the old 666). A loop something like 12 south from Datil (on US 60 west of Socorro) south then pick up 180 near Gila NM. 78 toward Clifton AZ and the fun begins with 191 north. You go through the one of the world's largest open pit mine, and then there are too many curves to count up to Hannigan Meadow. At Alpine AZ, you can either head north on 180 to US 60 at Springerville, or south to Gila again.

Motor On ,/'

post #4 of 14 Old Jan 21st, 2009, 4:35 pm

We have a cabin in Angel Fire. The enchanted loop is always good but I prefer to take it counterclockwise because of the scenery dropping into Red River. Another good loop is to take 434 S through Angel Fire to Mora and pick up 518 west or Nwest back to Taos through Tres Ritas. Rancho De Chamyo is a neat restaraunt to go to off of 76. 2 days isn't enough time. I love to head to SW Colorado and hit Pagosa, Durango, Silverton etc.

Have fun and bring rain gear in Sept.

Last edited by hognot; Jan 21st, 2009 at 5:18 pm.
post #5 of 14 Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 8:01 am

Taos was nice. And so was breakfast at Michael's Kitchen. Up to Chama and across to Cortez and up Dolores Canyon. Two days is not enough. A week would not be enough.............

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #6 of 14 Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 9:03 am

I've been going to New Mexico since the 1980's and still have not seen all of it. In addition to what has been mentioned above, Hwy 4 out of Los Alamos to Jemez Springs and San Yisidro is great.

If you are around Chimayo about lunch or dinner time you have to go to Rancho de Chimayo for some of the best New Mexican and margaritas around.
Another great place, a bit pricey but very good food and fantastic atmosphere, is The Stakeout. It is about 4 miles south of Rancho de Taos and about 1 mile down a very bumpy gravel road. It is an old hacienda that has been a resturant for many, many years. My wife and I got married there almost 19 years ago.

You could spend a full month and not see anything twice.

We sold our house in Angel Fire last month for several reasons but one was so we would be more likely to go to other areas instead of always being based out of Angel Fire.

Bob Walker
Rio Rancho,NM
'13 Yamaha Super Tenere
'00 LTi Trike, Basalt Blue
'12 K1600GTL, Dark Blue(Sold)
post #7 of 14 Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 9:27 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssnowgun
My wife and I are headed to New Mexico this early September for our first trip to this state. We like to visit historic sites and enjoy the road less traveled and closer to the land and scenery. It seems there are 2 BMW dealers in N. M., one in Albequerque and one in Santa Fe where we will be staying. We have a week to vaction and have only time to allow for a 2 day bike tour somewhere and a hotel overnight. We want to rent an LT or RT, but it seems the only choice I've found via the net is an Electra Glide. Any touring tips or experiences from the members will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time to write me.
You might try HERE there list Goldwings and other small cruisers

Stevie Shreeve
post #8 of 14 Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 11:07 am

By all means do the "Coronado Trail" in western NM / eastern AZ. A loop from roughly Alpine to Clifton that includes Rt 180 in NM and 191 in AZ; fantastic scenery twisties big time, and a freaky huge open pit copper mine north of Clifton that you ride right through the middle of.

I have heard that stretch of 191 referred to as one of the best extended twistie stretches in the country. It is certainly on my list.

RB

2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000DS (red)
2009 BMW R1200 RT (biue)

post #9 of 14 Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 11:10 am Thread Starter

Smile Re: Touring New Mexico

Thank you all for some real informative travel tips. Much appreciated for a newby to New Mexico. That margarita watering hole will have to be included in the travel plans.

Snowgun
post #10 of 14 Old Jan 24th, 2009, 10:46 am

Thumbs up Re: Touring New Mexico

Definitely the Enchanted Circle when in Taos. Be sure to stop at the Vietnam Memorial. Very nice.

If you're in Santa Fe, eat at Maria's or Tomasita's for the best southwestern cuisine and great margaritas. Bestest green chile cheeseburger in the world is at Bobcat Bites. When done eating, travel south on Turquoise Trail (Cerrillos Road/Hwy 14) south to Madrid where Wild Hogs was filmed. Have a quick brew at the Mine Shaft Tavern then continue to Sandia Peak (highest mountain in NM). Great twisties and view. If you're into aliens, then continue to Roswell via Carrizozo. Wash the dust down and have a quick bite (another bestest green chili cheeseburger but only order "half" fries with that. You'll find out why) at the Outpost Bar & Grill. If you're inclined stop at the No Scum Allowed Saloon at White Oaks, just outside Carrizozo. Be warned, the owner is NOT vet friendly!

Ride safe, it's wide open country. Good luck!

~George

http://www.newmexico.org/explore/sce...ways/index.php

It's the journey, not the destination.

2002 K1200LT-E "StratoLounger"
2000 Road King Classic "StratoKruzer"

Last edited by Road_King; Jan 24th, 2009 at 11:03 am.
post #11 of 14 Old Jan 24th, 2009, 6:46 pm

we just came back from NM we drove from silver city to taos cross to flag staff to ship rock saw the 4 corners (nice but over rated ) then we drove to utah, now that a beautifull state we drove to brice. zion then over to Maob where arches national park is that was one fantastic vacation. total driving time 3,500 miles on a rental car 2 weeks in total
post #12 of 14 Old Jan 26th, 2009, 7:27 am
Super Moderator

Go to Chama - get off the bike - take a ride on real steam locomotive train. Several rides availabe and the scenery, sounds and sights are really nice.

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #13 of 14 Old Jan 27th, 2009, 11:00 pm

...you can also ride the train at Santa Fe.
http://www.sfsr.com/

It's the journey, not the destination.

2002 K1200LT-E "StratoLounger"
2000 Road King Classic "StratoKruzer"
post #14 of 14 Old Jan 30th, 2009, 11:19 pm

I'll add my endorsement to the Eastern AZ, Western, NM loop. Attached are a few pictures of 191 in AZ. They are in order as you drive north on 191, last pix is in NM on US 60 going east to the VLA (Very Large Array--Radio Telescope).

If you go, spend the night in Silver City, NM. Take 180 to 78 into AZ. Be careful, just after crossing into AZ on 78, you descend into a canyon with a spectacular view and while you're distracted the first right sweeper is a decreasing radius turn. Gas up in Clifton!

The high plains pix with the K100-LT in it is my favorite day dreaming pix and is my computer "desk top." This country is some of the most pleasant and serene riding I have done. You won't encounter many vehicles on the entire 191 ride.

Have a good ride, Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	next services-sm.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	21630   Click image for larger version

Name:	twisties-sm.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	21631   Click image for larger version

Name:	AZ-191-high-plains-sm.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	21632   Click image for larger version

Name:	9183 ft-sm.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	21633   Click image for larger version

Name:	VLA Plains-sm.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	21634  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in