Engine oil Over flow?? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jan 21st, 2009, 5:11 am Thread Starter

Engine oil Over flow??

Hi Guys

Again new issue for me, i was abt to change engine oil and doing like in normal opening the drain cover and ones open that FLUSH of oil came out, generall whole 3.6Lm filter was still in place, could some one explane if this is normal or not,, for me it's Not, i mean oil should stay inside filter and not coming outside,,,bit of advice is needed,,,i go clean my hand's meanwhile....I got OILED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jan 21st, 2009, 5:25 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: Engine oil Over flow??

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1200LT-TH
Hi Guys

Again new issue for me, i was abt to change engine oil and doing like in normal opening the drain cover and ones open that FLUSH of oil came out, generall whole 3.6Lm filter was still in place, could some one explane if this is normal or not,, for me it's Not, i mean oil should stay inside filter and not coming outside,,,bit of advice is needed,,,i go clean my hand's meanwhile....I got OILED
If I under stand you correctly you removed the plate that covers the oil filter. All the oil came out and the filter is still in place.If this is so then all is just fine. The oil filter is inside the oil sump. Just remove filter , install new one , replace plate. Be VERY CAREFUL not to over tighten the 3 small bolts as they can be striped VERY easy. Then refill with oil and your done.

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 12 Old Jan 21st, 2009, 6:03 am Thread Starter

katnapinn

thanx a lot,, tons of weight was gone from my shoulders,, as im heading for 7 day tour on friday morning and need to change all the oils,, this one is last then all systems are ready to go.

Im plasing new K&N performance filter to there now,,should fit as far KN Filters told me. (KN-163 filter)

post #4 of 12 Old Jan 21st, 2009, 6:21 am

I fill the new filter with oil before installing it. helps get oil to the engine faster.
just a hint.
little_jake
post #5 of 12 Old Jan 21st, 2009, 6:59 am

Since we're on the subject, is there a faster way of getting the oil in the motor? With the two funnels I've used, it takes forever to fill this thing and I don't want to buy a "Jiffy Lube" pumping system. Gotta be a better way.
post #6 of 12 Old Jan 21st, 2009, 8:37 am

Something I wasn't aware of until I started playing with Ducatis.....I used to fill the new oil filter with oil before installing. But, Ducati says to only fill it half way. Something to do with a full filter possibly causing cavitation and/or an air lock in the oil system. I realize it's Ducati and they can be a little weird but now I only fill the filters half way whether I was working on my LT or someone elses bike. FWIW.

Matt
95 Honda Magna (sold)
97 R1100RT (sold)
00 LTc, Canyon Red "Tarkus" (sold)
01 F650GS (wifey's, sold)
01 Ducati S4 Monster "LittleOne"
04 R1150RT (turned to scrap)
99 R1100RT Tundra Green
Kalamazoo, MI
"Worry does not rob tomorrow of it's sorrow. It saps the strength of today."
post #7 of 12 Old Jan 21st, 2009, 12:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRon
Since we're on the subject, is there a faster way of getting the oil in the motor? With the two funnels I've used, it takes forever to fill this thing and I don't want to buy a "Jiffy Lube" pumping system. Gotta be a better way.
I've never considered the fill time to be an issue, just a minor annoyance. Perhaps you need a funnel with a larger opening to compensate for the oils viscoisity. One of the dealers I used to use had what looked like a plant watering can that would hold the desired amount of oil and dump it in fairly fast. Maybe something like that.
post #8 of 12 Old Jan 21st, 2009, 2:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1200LT-TH
Hi Guys

This may be a stupid question, but here goes. Did you drain the oil through the drain plug before you removed the filter cover? If so, not much oil should have come out when you removed the filter cover.

Joe Van Orsdol
Zimmerman Mn
'02 K1200LT
'94 K75S for sale
'11 DR650 Alaska Bike
'13 KTM 250XCW
post #9 of 12 Old Jan 21st, 2009, 6:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joevano
This may be a stupid question, but here goes. Did you drain the oil through the drain plug before you removed the filter cover? If so, not much oil should have come out when you removed the filter cover.

We have an oil drain plug? Never used it.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #10 of 12 Old Jan 26th, 2009, 2:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRon
Uh....I discovered that leaving oil in unheated garage, when temps were about freezing, demonstrates the 'molasses in January' concept. Next time, I'll keep them indoors for a day or so before trying to change oil. Didn't even attempt the final drive that day.

As long as engine was warmed prior to draining oil, would there be any problem putting the new oil containers in a bucket of hot tap water before filling the bike?

...Bob
2001 K1200LT der LadungsTräger
1978 GL1000
post #11 of 12 Old Jan 26th, 2009, 5:35 am
Lifetime Supporter

Wink Re: Engine oil Over flow??

Bob,
When you use multi viscosity oil(15-50 as an example) it is thin when cold and thicker when hot. The manual gives temp ranges for the different weight oils.
Since I am in NC I get to use 15-50 all the time.
Make sure you are not trying to use the wrong weight for your location.

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'
post #12 of 12 Old Jan 27th, 2009, 6:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblalock
Bob,
When you use multi viscosity oil(15-50 as an example) it is thin when cold and thicker when hot. The manual gives temp ranges for the different weight oils.
Since I am in NC I get to use 15-50 all the time.
Make sure you are not trying to use the wrong weight for your location.
15W50 oil--My understanding: cold, its like a 15 weight cold. Hot, its like a 50 weight hot, which is still thinner than a 15 weight cold. Its viscosity does get thinner as it heats up, just not as thin as a single 15 weight oil would.

I did double check....15W50.

...Bob
2001 K1200LT der LadungsTräger
1978 GL1000

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in