Difficult Stainless Steel Screws! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jan 20th, 2009, 2:39 pm Thread Starter

Difficult Stainless Steel Screws!

Here's an issue I hadn't imagined would be a factor, as I take it as a given that a bolt or nut of a given size is going to fit what it is supposed to fit.

Well, most of the time, I suppose, but in the recent reassembly of tupperware on my LT, after 36K maintenance and mods, I had a devil of a time now and then getting the 5mm stainless steel screws to thread into the U-bolt fasteners that typically hold the tupperware on. Some fit fine, others were just impossible to get the threads started. GRRR! Nuts and bolts that used to fit now don't ????

The only thing that would help was running a threading tap through the U-bolt, and running a die down the bolt threads. Stainless steel is very tough, and the die was removing a barely perceptable amount of metal from the bolt threads! Even then, the seemed to fit very tight!

Interesting, so I tried some of the old style black anodized steel screws from my RT project, and VIOLA! they threaded easily into the same U-bolts that the stainless bolts would not start in!

Has anyone else experienced frustration when replacing standard bolts with stainless steel? I suppose there are variations from one manufacturer or to another, as everything has tolerances....but I wonder if the supplier who proved the stainless steel bolt kit to the previous owner, who accomplished the stainless steel conversion, might have sourced the kit from China ??

Accordingly, I will have some caution about converting any other bike to stainless!

Bob Allred
Riverton, Utah
'03 K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 old Airheads & 1 Oilhead

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jan 20th, 2009, 4:48 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Re: Difficult Stainless Steel Screws!

This is somewhat common. Change screws from one to another tinnerman nut and see if it works. If not, it's either the tinnerman nut or the screw itself.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #3 of 8 Old Jan 20th, 2009, 5:13 pm

Hello Bob

When using stainless fasteners that are to be removed again and again I always put a wee dab of any grease on the threads . Stainless fasteners are all most always made of one the precipitation hardening stainless steels , 17-7 or 18-8 and they are the most prone to galding

Bob G

post #4 of 8 Old Jan 20th, 2009, 5:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbob
Hello Bob

When using stainless fasteners that are to be removed again and again I always put a wee dab of any grease on the threads . Stainless fasteners are all most always made of one the precipitation hardening stainless steels , 17-7 or 18-8 and they are the most prone to galding

Bob G

Last time I checked, 17-7 (AISI 302) and 18-8 (AISI 304) are NOT preciptation hardening alloys. They are austenitic grades. Unfortunatley, these grades are VERY soft as fasteners, very susceptible to galling, and when put into contact with mild steel will cause corrosion when exposed to an electrolyte (like salt or tap water). The corrosion couple will be aggrivated on your bike because many of the steel parts are part of the electrical ground. If your Tinnerman nuts have a white film on them, you have a bit of corrosion starting.

Honestly, I don't know why people waste their money buying these mushy stainless fasteners.

If you feel you must use them, grease them first with some sort of anti-seize to prevent them from galling. If you cross thread one of them, throw it away, as the metastable austenite (the phase that makes them so soft) deforms and undergoes a transformation to martensite (a very hard and strong phase) and makes a hard spot that doesn't follow the correct thread path. You can't remove the hard spot, so it will continue to destroy the other Tinnerman nuts you try to thread it in to.

Tim Barstow

2004 GSA Silver
2007 X Challenge
post #5 of 8 Old Jan 20th, 2009, 5:37 pm

The reason I still use stainless nuts and bolts on my short free standing tower is that they don't rust all over the tower and they are much easier to brake than rusted steel bolts when I have to remove them.

A regular box end wrench, and ratchet, a little extra force, and SNAP!

Best from warm Tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #6 of 8 Old Jan 20th, 2009, 9:56 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I carry a good quality HSS die on my bike and it works fine on the stainless screws. I also carry extra new ones in three lengths just in case. I did find the two I had dropped this summer when I had the tank off a while ago.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #7 of 8 Old Jan 21st, 2009, 5:55 pm

I got Murph's Black coated stainless steel screws and Zinc coated Steel Torx Screws from Master-Carr. Both of them thread well. No issues to report so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allred
Here's an issue I hadn't imagined would be a factor, as I take it as a given that a bolt or nut of a given size is going to fit what it is supposed to fit.

Well, most of the time, I suppose, but in the recent reassembly of tupperware on my LT, after 36K maintenance and mods, I had a devil of a time now and then getting the 5mm stainless steel screws to thread into the U-bolt fasteners that typically hold the tupperware on. Some fit fine, others were just impossible to get the threads started. GRRR! Nuts and bolts that used to fit now don't ????

The only thing that would help was running a threading tap through the U-bolt, and running a die down the bolt threads. Stainless steel is very tough, and the die was removing a barely perceptable amount of metal from the bolt threads! Even then, the seemed to fit very tight!

Interesting, so I tried some of the old style black anodized steel screws from my RT project, and VIOLA! they threaded easily into the same U-bolts that the stainless bolts would not start in!

Has anyone else experienced frustration when replacing standard bolts with stainless steel? I suppose there are variations from one manufacturer or to another, as everything has tolerances....but I wonder if the supplier who proved the stainless steel bolt kit to the previous owner, who accomplished the stainless steel conversion, might have sourced the kit from China ??

Accordingly, I will have some caution about converting any other bike to stainless!

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

post #8 of 8 Old Jan 21st, 2009, 7:01 pm

I find the tinnerman nut gives in way before the screw. NEVER put a rusty TN back in.
As others say, use a spot of grease - I use copper grease - grat stuff

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in