Color choice...Black or Black? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old Jan 19th, 2009, 9:42 pm Thread Starter

Color choice...Black or Black?

So with all the LT's now coming in your choice of any color as long as it's black, I'm looking for some real-life input as to how it is to keep it nice looking while on the road (bugs, road grime, dried rain spray, etc.) I had a silver '03 and I loved the classic look of it and the color hid all the grime one accumulates while taking it on long tours. I'm considering an '09 LT and of course my only choice is black. While it looks great in the show room, I wanted to hear from you who have one and what it is like keeping it looking that way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old Jan 19th, 2009, 9:51 pm

Re: Color choice...Black or Black?

Easy, clean it after every ride.

Mine is dirty.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #3 of 28 Old Jan 19th, 2009, 10:11 pm

With the choice being between black and black , I would definitely choose black.
(FWIW)

post #4 of 28 Old Jan 19th, 2009, 10:16 pm Thread Starter

ok...you guys aren't helping. lol

1) it is easy to keep it clean when it stays in the garage, but a week on the road makes it a mess (and I don't like a dirty looking bike...even when touring and I'm not about to start stopping at car washes when on the road)

2) the choice between an '09 silver RT and a '09 black LT might come down to which color...

I suppose I could spend a bunch of coin and have someone paint the LT...
post #5 of 28 Old Jan 19th, 2009, 10:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBreeze

1) it is easy to keep it clean when it stays in the garage, but a week on the road makes it a mess (and I don't like a dirty looking bike...even when touring and I'm not about to start stopping at car washes when on the road)

2) the choice between an '09 silver RT and a '09 black LT might come down to which color...

.......and miss an opportunity to practice the full and unmitigated expression of obsessive-compulsive disorder while attempting to keep it shiny?
post #6 of 28 Old Jan 19th, 2009, 10:36 pm

Quote:
So with all the LT's now coming in your choice of any color as long as it's black, I'm looking for some real-life input as to how it is to keep it nice looking while on the road (bugs, road grime, dried rain spray, etc.) I had a silver '03 and I loved the classic look of it and the color hid all the grime one accumulates while taking it on long tours. I'm considering an '09 LT and of course my only choice is black. While it looks great in the show room, I wanted to hear from you who have one and what it is like keeping it looking that way.

Al ya have to do is take a motel towel and get it hot. Lay on front windshield for a minute and the bugs will come right off. Same is true of the paint.
But ...be warned ...all the hot towles tends to get rid of your nice wax job ...so...I carry a small bottle of spray wax with me.
Takes 10 min. at the end of the day...and a couple of beers. With some friends! And a lot of BS about the days ride.
I find it saves me the huge time consuming cleaning when I get home.

I believe this compulsive cleaning disorder is not a genetic abnormality but a result of the aging process. And I believe....there is no known cure!

Bob Thede
'02 K1200 LT-Blackie II
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'97 BMW Z3-SO's
BMWMOA #135792

CCR-'08

'62 Fender Jazz Bass-played often!
post #7 of 28 Old Jan 19th, 2009, 10:59 pm

...go for the silver. It's a classic look.

Black is fast but only good for the Harleys.

Ride safe,
~George

It's the journey, not the destination.

2002 K1200LT-E "StratoLounger"
2000 Road King Classic "StratoKruzer"
post #8 of 28 Old Jan 19th, 2009, 11:14 pm

Back in the day, almost everything came in black or black The black one at my dealer does look good.................Pete
post #9 of 28 Old Jan 20th, 2009, 12:27 am

Quote:

MRBreeze,

Well your right about the Black, it sure does look good when it's all clean, it dosent take long for it to get dirty. I had a Black Honda ACE and it wasent to bad to keep clean. It does show the dirt and slight scratches quicker then a lighter color. My 1600 was red and that could go through down pours and still look decent. Hope this helps.

John
post #10 of 28 Old Jan 20th, 2009, 10:47 am
Lifetime Supporter

Cool Re: Color choice...Black or Black?

My suggestion is "don't buy for the color, buy for the ride". If you are an LT guy as I am, the color will wear off you but the ride will still be there. I can't be happy back on a boxer.

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'
post #11 of 28 Old Jan 20th, 2009, 10:56 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfGuy

I believe this compulsive cleaning disorder is not a genetic abnormality but a result of the aging process. And I believe....there is no known cure!
I'm just the opposite the older I get the less I care about cleaning the bike and the more I care about riding the bike. Besides it get washed when it rains.

Stevie Shreeve
post #12 of 28 Old Jan 20th, 2009, 11:32 am

I use Maguires Quick Detailer spray at home and on the road. Cleans bugs off the windshield and fairing without resorting to laying wet hotel towels on your bike. Unless the bike gets real dirty I rarely wash the bike with soap and water; I just use the Detail Spray. I've had my 09 for 7 months and the finish still looks like new.

2011 CVO FLTRUSE
post #13 of 28 Old Jan 20th, 2009, 1:41 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
the choice between an '09 silver RT and a '09 black LT might come down to which color...
Seriously? You'd override all considerations of power, handling, ride comfort, amenities, etc. for a simple color preference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblalock
My suggestion is "don't buy for the color, buy for the ride". If you are an LT guy as I am, the color will wear off you but the ride will still be there. I can't be happy back on a boxer.
Exactly.

Quote:
Or just keep the body panels off your '03 . . .

Quote:
All ya have to do is take a motel towel and get it hot.)
Well sure that works, but it's a great way to piss off the motel owner, and thus foster hatred and discrimination against all riders. Please consider carrying your own old towel for such things.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #14 of 28 Old Jan 20th, 2009, 3:03 pm

Black attracts all of the white dirt..... A PITA to keep clean.

Green, hardly ever shows dirt and only needs to be washed annually....

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #15 of 28 Old Jan 20th, 2009, 3:11 pm

Even mo Black.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lone Star08.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	21504   Click image for larger version

Name:	LS08.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	21505   Click image for larger version

Name:	LS09 1.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	21506  

D.Kinsey
Santa Fe, Tx.
15 R1200RT
13 Ducati Panigale Tricolore

12 Ducati Diavel Carbon(SOLD)
08 K1200LT (born 12/19/07)(SOLD)

09 Triumph Sprint ST...RED(SOLD)
00 K1200LT Custom Painted(SOLD)
post #16 of 28 Old Jan 20th, 2009, 3:19 pm

I had the same experience. My first LT was 2002 Silver. My second LT is 2004 Black. Yes, silver was a great color to hide the dust. Black is not. But, I still clean on a biweekly basis only difference I take the dust off with microfiber cloth every other day in addition.

Quote:

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

post #17 of 28 Old Jan 20th, 2009, 4:01 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARK
I use Maguires Quick Detailer spray at home and on the road. Cleans bugs off the windshield and fairing without resorting to laying wet hotel towels on your bike. Unless the bike gets real dirty I rarely wash the bike with soap and water; I just use the Detail Spray. I've had my 09 for 7 months and the finish still looks like new.
+1 on this!

Bike does not see a lot of water washings. I do a quickie at the car wash if I am riding in Winter and been in a lot of salt.

Last few weeks nothing but small nagging snow/ice/sleet storms, and 15* daytime highs, too much black ice lurking to even think about it.

Using a motel room towel is a low thing to do IMHO.

A lot of places I have stayed at have gone out of their way for me, allowing me use of private hose, small buckets, OLD towels and anything in between. The guys who are using the room towels are just pissing places off and contributing to another place that will turn biker unfriendly in a heart beat.

A bottle of quick detailer of any flavor and a micro fiber towel or two will do it. Wheels, a few paper towels and detailer will clean them nicely and they will be easier each time after using detailer a few times.

On Topic:

Black and Chrome is just classic. So classy.

That said I NEVER ever want another Black Vehicle after 3 in my life. Just too hard to keep and shows dirt like nobody's business.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959

Last edited by LAF; Jan 20th, 2009 at 4:08 pm.
post #18 of 28 Old Jan 20th, 2009, 6:23 pm

I too just went through it. Black Suburban, Miata, Bug, Fat Boy, Ultra, then to the Silver LT. It was like it refused to show dirt. I still prefer the look of black over anything else. Just makes you take better care of your bike.

Diehly

Poke it through, tuck and roll
post #19 of 28 Old Jan 20th, 2009, 9:45 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Mine is a 04 black & the first trip I took I had my soap,bug remover,soft brush & my black towels that are always washed with fabric softener. It was a four day trip 2,200 miles & I washed it twice. I like my ride clean but I now wait until I get home.

It takes up to much space in side cases & to much time to wash after all I'm on vacation right. You can't see it in my avatar but I had just returned from a 3,700 mile trip from upper ND,MN,WI,MI & several other states & you could not see anything out the windshield. Seems like the farther north you go there are more & bigger bugs.

I just took a ride to Florida & back this weekend & rode 250 miles in the rain coming home. The temp was 37 to 41 degrees & now two days later the bike & my winter gear are dry & I can see salt everywhere. Not sure why they salt the roads in a poring rain but they must have.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #20 of 28 Old Jan 20th, 2009, 11:19 pm

I guess if you get the 09 you'll have over 20,000 reasons to keep it beautiful
My 04 is Midnight black, so is my wifes Subaru and my 328i.
Messy looking when dirty, beautiful when clean.

78 R100RS Red (first love)
95 R100RSL Dakar Yellow (second love)
90 K75 Red (wifes )
95 K1200LT Maroon (first couch rocket)
04 R1150RT Baritz Blue (quick fling)
04 K1200LT Midnight BLACK (match made in heaven)
post #21 of 28 Old Jan 21st, 2009, 6:03 pm

I'd go for the black. Did, as a matter of fact. Couldn't be pleaseder or happier. 02LT was black, so is the 07. Before a trip it gets a nice coat of wax, including the non-painted black parts like the wings. Also polish the windshield. On the road, I use Novus #1 on the shield, being sure to flush off any sand/grit first. On one trip, we got behind a semi in construction in rain - when we stopped, used the motel's hose and gave it (and us) a bath. Thanks to the wax and polish, dirt close to falls off.

Used to be fanatic about cleaning it, but after so many people would stop and say "wow, that's a great looking bike" I decided who was I to argue with them? A big green grasshopper is like a badge!

Jim Taylor
Minneapolis
07 Black LT "Dancing Heart", 03 Quantum "Ice"
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)
post #22 of 28 Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 8:59 am

Both my bikes are black
I use maguires tech wax once or twice a year and just a wash at other times.
Not a problem........
(depending on your "needs")

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #23 of 28 Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 10:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Seriously? You'd override all considerations of power, handling, ride comfort, amenities, etc. for a simple color preference?

Exactly.

Or just keep the body panels off your '03 . . .

Well sure that works, but it's a great way to piss off the motel owner, and thus foster hatred and discrimination against all riders. Please consider carrying your own old towel for such things.
Actually....I am used to motels having old towels for bikes...all you have to do is ask!

Bob Thede
'02 K1200 LT-Blackie II

'97 BMW Z3-SO's
BMWMOA #135792

CCR-'08

post #24 of 28 Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 11:26 am

Smile Re: Color choice...Black or Black?

I am on my 3rd LT, the 99 was Canyon Red, the 03 was Silver, and the 05 is Dark Graphite.
I keep all of them dirty... and really don't care as long as the mirrors , headlights and tail lights are clean.
However I do make sure to keep the Rick Mayer leather seats conditioned with the cream I got from Rick also.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #25 of 28 Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 12:21 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Actually....I am used to motels having old towels for bikes...all you have to do is ask!
Ah, much better. I've just seen too many pissed-off motel owners, who were surprised and pleased when I brought out my own towel. Better if it is a colored towel, so they know it's not one of their white ones.

Must be the HD crowd, then.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #26 of 28 Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 12:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Ah, much better. I've just seen too many pissed-off motel owners, who were surprised and pleased when I brought out my own towel. Better if it is a colored towel, so they know it's not one of their white ones.

Must be the HD crowd, then.

I agree! When I check in I always ask if they have old towels for the bikes. Most are elated that you even asked.

If'n they don't have one....I always carry them with me too.

Bob Thede
'02 K1200 LT-Blackie II

'97 BMW Z3-SO's
BMWMOA #135792

CCR-'08

post #27 of 28 Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 2:43 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I too use the Maguires quick detailer along with Eagle1 Wax-As-U-dry. They both are great products.

post #28 of 28 Old Jan 24th, 2009, 12:23 am

I have a new 09 LT and the first thing I did when I brought it home was to apply 10 coats of Liquid Glass. I have been using this product for the past 20 years with exceptional results. Not kidding 10 coats...takes a couple days but well worth it in the long run.

http://www.liquidglass.com/lgpolish.htm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in