can't start my 2000 lt - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Jan 19th, 2009, 8:47 pm Thread Starter

can't start my 2000 lt

I am recently healing from a leg operation every sunday I start my bike and let it run for about 5 minutes I have been doing this for the past 5 month bike is on the center stand. well last week I had to move it and I left it on the kick stand for about 4 days now I can;t start the bike did the kick stand do something with the gas. let me know...jorge bike has only 12 M miles on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Jan 19th, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: can't start my 2000 lt

Sorry to hear you are grounded. I hope you get well soon.
Although stale gas can cause trouble, can you be more specific about not starting? does the starter work? it rotates more slowly? It rotates as usual but the engine doesn't start? Have you tried opening the gas tank lid and starting it?
post #3 of 23 Old Jan 19th, 2009, 8:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by printman
I am recently healing from a leg operation every sunday I start my bike and let it run for about 5 minutes I have been doing this for the past 5 month bike is on the center stand. well last week I had to move it and I left it on the kick stand for about 4 days now I can;t start the bike did the kick stand do something with the gas. let me know...jorge bike has only 12 M miles on it
Ole Toad won't start with the sidestand down *unless* the clutch lever is pulled in, AND the transmission is in neutral.

post #4 of 23 Old Jan 19th, 2009, 8:54 pm Thread Starter

well my gas was low so I poured in super premium the engine turns over it will make a couple of popping sounds like if it was going to start but nothing
post #5 of 23 Old Jan 19th, 2009, 8:59 pm Thread Starter

well I thing my kick stand is down but my bike is in neutral and I allways press my clutch in
post #6 of 23 Old Jan 19th, 2009, 8:59 pm

One of the most common causes for an American model LT not to start is a clogged canister. Try removing the gas tank lid, and if you hear the sound of air going in or/and it starts with the lid off, you already know what it is

Dick: I'll have to try that one!
post #7 of 23 Old Jan 20th, 2009, 6:36 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

There was a case in the last few week of an LT with the same trouble. It turned out that the fuel filter had come off from one of the lines. The fix was easy but to getting to the filter is a bitch..... It's in the fuel tank. I believe he said he could hear a bubbling sound from the filler hole while trying to start the bike.

Stevie Shreeve
post #8 of 23 Old Jan 20th, 2009, 7:58 pm

Yes sir, that was me who had the line come off the filter. It does take a while to get to the filter but there really isn't anything difficult about it. I do think I will add an automotive oil filter wrench to my tool kit though. That is what I used to get the union nut off so I could remove the fuel pump and filter. You could maybe try to tap it off with a screwdriver but you may also break it that way. Last week when that happened I went onto ebay and purchased, with the buy it now button, a new Clymer manual. I got it yesterday. I had the shop manual but it doesn't help to trouble shoot. This new manual impresses me. I've had some for my other bikes in the past but this one seems to really have a lot more detail. Right to my door for $37.01. Probably not much in there you can't find on this site though...
post #9 of 23 Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 12:11 pm Thread Starter

Smile Re: can't start my 2000 lt

ok back again well I tried removing the gas cap, raising the kick stand, making sure my bike was in neutral and still nothing wont start motor turn make couple popping sound but nada!!! last effort before removing tapeware goung to take out battery take it to pep boy and have them charge it for me. I have been charging battery with a sears little charger (maybe this battery needs a big charge from a proffesional charger. can this be a cause of not getting a strong cranck on the motor...
post #10 of 23 Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 1:29 pm

OK,

Turn on the key, Can you hear the fuel pump run ? It should run for a second or two and then stop when the system is up to pressure.

Sidestand up ? Neutral light on ?

If you're battery is not strong and it's not turning over well, That well could be the reason you're not starting. But usually if it's turning over and everything else is right, it will start.

With the fuel cap off and then turning on the key, Can you hear bubbling from inside the tank ? If so this would indicate a fuel hose off inside the tank.

Three things needed to run. Fuel, Air, And spark at the right time.
You may have to pull the tupperware and get into the nitty gritty if it isn't something obvious..

The timing set on these bikes is pretty tough. So if it's been running I doubt that you'd have a timing problem. Also it'd probably be making some bad noises..

I think there is a hall effect sensor involved in the timing circuit but they rarely fail.

Critters chewing on the wiring ?

I'm betting it's some kind of fueling issue. That's usually the culprit on the LT when it won't start with a good battery..

Keep us posted on your progress.

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 23 Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 2:28 pm Thread Starter

thank you john, I will try everything you mention I took the battery a couple hours ago to pep boys for a full charge if it does not start then the covers will come off and visual check all the lines....
post #12 of 23 Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 3:43 pm

Cool Re: can't start my 2000 lt

Just a WAG, but all those times you started it for 5 minutes may have fouled the spark plugs. I know it would do that on the old K75. In the future don't do that!
post #13 of 23 Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 9:27 pm

The guys have given you some good pointers. If you fill out your profile it's possible one of us may live in your neighborhood. Lots of us love to help fellow riders.
post #14 of 23 Old Jan 24th, 2009, 2:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjordans2000
The guys have given you some good pointers. If you fill out your profile it's possible one of us may live in your neighborhood. Lots of us love to help fellow riders.

Most common reason for fouled plugs. Most techs will tell you not to start it unless you plan to ride it. Keep it on a batt tender and and if its indoors thats all. Outdoors, keep stabil in the fuel.
post #15 of 23 Old Jan 24th, 2009, 2:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwread
Just a WAG, but all those times you started it for 5 minutes may have fouled the spark plugs. I know it would do that on the old K75. In the future don't do that!

Most common reason for fouled plugs. Most techs will tell you not to start it unless you plan to ride it. Keep it on a batt tender and and if its indoors thats all. Outdoors, keep stabil in the fuel.
post #16 of 23 Old Jan 24th, 2009, 2:35 pm

I was working as a svc mgr about 10 yrs ago when a guy with no legs brought his Ultra in with catastrophic engine failure. He had lost his legs in an accident and had bought the bike with the settlement...The bike was 4 years old with 6 miles on it...just the PDI test ride. Well he had been starting it once a week and letting it run over in the corner for 45 minutes for 4 years. Of course the constant overheating took its toll. The oil pump finally failed and the engine was trash. The guy was EXTREMELY upset because his Harley only had 6 MILES on the clock. Harley Davidson Motor Co. exchanged his engine under a good will warranty. The dealer absorbed some of the labor and he paid the rest and left happy.

Lessons:

1. Don't start your bike because you think it needs to run to stay in shape...it needs to be ridden!
2. Loyalty begets loyalty.
post #17 of 23 Old Jan 24th, 2009, 6:33 pm Thread Starter

well you can make sure when I get it running it will be driven daily. I just pull the tupperware off if I pull the fuel line off the one that leads from the tank to the Engine it should pump into my canister right
post #18 of 23 Old Jan 24th, 2009, 7:45 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Not necessarily. The quick connects are self-sealing when separated. But since you bring it up, if both halves of your QDs are plastic, replace at least the male half with metal while it's apart. Guaranteed you'll be doing it sooner or later anyway.

post #19 of 23 Old Jan 24th, 2009, 8:25 pm Thread Starter

is there a line that goes from the pump to the engine that I can test to see if the pump is pumping
post #20 of 23 Old Jan 24th, 2009, 9:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by printman
well you can make sure when I get it running it will be driven daily. I just pull the tupperware off if I pull the fuel line off the one that leads from the tank to the Engine it should pump into my canister right
If you're talking about draining the tank using the fuel pump output don't forget fuel injection systems are under high pressure. In answer to your later post, if you are in doubt about fuel delivery you could place a fuel pressure test gauge in the above mentioned fuel output line. This will confirm fuel pump operation and/or clogged filter issues.
post #21 of 23 Old Jan 24th, 2009, 9:08 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Yes, but it's a self-sealing quick disconnect (QD). You may be able to get it by removing the right side crash bumper and chrome which will take five torx screws. The lines are black and each has a QD on it. They are just underneath the actual crash bar itself and they make a 90 degree turn there. Be careful, fuel injection lines carry high pressure.

post #22 of 23 Old Jan 25th, 2009, 2:23 pm Thread Starter

is there a book or video that teachhow tochange the fuel injectors my bike before it whent down had injector problem
post #23 of 23 Old Jan 25th, 2009, 2:55 pm

I think you're probably making things too difficult...We do that sometimes.

Have you done the things mentioned ? Can you hear the fuel pump running ?

The only way you're gonna fix it is to troubleshoot. You can't shotgun it..

If the fuel pump is running and it doesn't sound like it's disconnected itself in the tank, Then I'd probably go straight to the spark plugs and check them...

Fouled plugs will keep her from going.

Let us know what you've actually done...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in