New owner ?: key position - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Jan 19th, 2009, 7:03 pm Thread Starter

Question New owner ?: key position

A friend of mine just picked up an '09 and hasn't registered here yet, (I'm working on him).

He says that he has three positions on his ignition: "off", "r" & "on". When he puts the key in the "r" position, he can take the key out, but the dash lights stay on. In order to get the lights to go out, and still take the key out, he needs to put it in the "off" position, which requires the handlebars to be in the correct position to be locked.

I don't remeber it being that way on my '01. Have they made changes on the newer modles?

TIA

George Barnes
'06 K1200LT
'01 K1200LT, totaled with 180,000 miles, 10/18/07,

'97, '99, '01, '05, '07 & '09 Iron Butt Rallies, (won the '99)
IBA#146

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Jan 19th, 2009, 7:16 pm

Re: New owner ?: key position

That is the way my 2005 is.
post #3 of 15 Old Jan 19th, 2009, 7:23 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBarnes
A friend of mine just picked up an '09 and hasn't registered here yet, (I'm working on him).

He says that he has three positions on his ignition: "off", "r" & "on". When he puts the key in the "r" position, he can take the key out, but the dash lights stay on. In order to get the lights to go out, and still take the key out, he needs to put it in the "off" position, which requires the handlebars to be in the correct position to be locked.

I don't remeber it being that way on my '01. Have they made changes on the newer modles?

TIA
My 2000 has 4 positions from right to left or counter-clock wise.
there in on (Bike starts)
next R motor off radio and map lights on
then off everything off handlebars locked
last far left position headlights and accessories on but not radio & will not start

Stevie Shreeve

post #4 of 15 Old Jan 19th, 2009, 7:23 pm

My 2009 is the same way too. The whole "locking the bars to remove the key to unlock the gas cap" is kinda a PITA but what the heck. Must be a German thing.

2011 CVO FLTRUSE
post #5 of 15 Old Jan 19th, 2009, 7:37 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the info.

I've already forwarded him the instructions for modifying the gas cap so it can stay unlocked.

GB

George Barnes
'06 K1200LT
'01 K1200LT, totaled with 180,000 miles, 10/18/07,

'97, '99, '01, '05, '07 & '09 Iron Butt Rallies, (won the '99)
IBA#146

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 Old Jan 19th, 2009, 8:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
My 2000 has 4 positions from right to left or counter-clock wise.
there in on (Bike starts)
next R motor off radio and map lights on
then off everything off handlebars locked
last far left position headlights and accessories on but not radio & will not start
Ole Toad's '99 ignition layout, which should match your previous LT, George:

On = ignition and all electrical circuits switched on (engine will start with starter button).

R = Ignition off; key can be removed

OFF = ignition off, steering locked

P = Parking light on, steering locked

Not sure how the radio player works on the '09, butt when the key is in the 'ON' or the 'R' position, ole Toad can play tunes. Other positions - nada.
post #7 of 15 Old Jan 20th, 2009, 11:19 pm

The "R" position does indeed turn on the dash light and also the lights under the wings. They stay on for about 30 seconds and then fade out. It also allows the trunk light to turn on when the trunk is opened. I routinely only use this position on my 2005LT and just have to remember to turn off the "on" radio button on the console to ensure that the battery won't run down overnight. This key position is also useful so you can charge the battery through the BMW plug instead of having to attach directly to the battery leads. The only time I lock the steering is when it is parked in public somewhere for extended time such as when I'm at work. At least that's how things seem to work with mine. I hope this helps
post #8 of 15 Old Jan 21st, 2009, 8:09 am

My battery tender appears (by the lights) to charge when the forks are locked.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #9 of 15 Old Jan 21st, 2009, 9:45 am

Wink Re: New owner ?: key position

If you use the BMW plug on the lower left fairing your Battery Tender will work just fine in any position, including bars locked. If you use the plug on the trunk you will need to turn power on to make the connection. The lower left one is wired hot at all times, while the rear one is powered through the ignition switch.

HTH,

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Dawg
The "R" position does indeed turn on the dash light and also the lights under the wings. They stay on for about 30 seconds and then fade out. It also allows the trunk light to turn on when the trunk is opened. I routinely only use this position on my 2005LT and just have to remember to turn off the "on" radio button on the console to ensure that the battery won't run down overnight. This key position is also useful so you can charge the battery through the BMW plug instead of having to attach directly to the battery leads. The only time I lock the steering is when it is parked in public somewhere for extended time such as when I'm at work. At least that's how things seem to work with mine. I hope this helps

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #10 of 15 Old Jan 21st, 2009, 12:04 pm

That's was exactly how I had understood it.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #11 of 15 Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 11:44 am

As a follow up to this thread, will the battery drain if you leave put the key in the "r" position and extract the key? I am shipping my bike and the shipper needs to be able to move the bike (have forks in unlocked position). AS I see it, the only way I can do that is if I leave the switch in the "r" position. I am afraid that the bike will arrive at the destination with a dead battery if I leave it in the "r" position. Takes about 7 to 10 days for shipping. Other alternative is to give the shipper the key. Not the best option.

Thanks

2006 LT Mag Black

1977 HD XL

"Not all who wander are lost"
post #12 of 15 Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 12:21 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

It should be fine just shut off the radio before shutting off the engine. If you are really worried disconnect the Battery negative terminal.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #13 of 15 Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 12:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpancho
As a follow up to this thread, will the battery drain if you leave put the key in the "r" position and extract the key? I am shipping my bike and the shipper needs to be able to move the bike (have forks in unlocked position). AS I see it, the only way I can do that is if I leave the switch in the "r" position. I am afraid that the bike will arrive at the destination with a dead battery if I leave it in the "r" position. Takes about 7 to 10 days for shipping. Other alternative is to give the shipper the key. Not the best option.

Thanks

You should be ok so long as the shippers do not decide to fool with the radio and whistle whistle they work. You may also want to consider pulling some strategic fuses but I believe shippment of the bike does require disconnecting the battery anyway.

Mugz

"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving."

BMWMOA - #45711

2006 K1200LT - Blue Baby
2003 R1150GS - Yellowbird
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
1991 K1100RS - Sold and burned
1986 K100RS - In the past
post #14 of 15 Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 4:31 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
It should be fine just shut off the radio before shutting off the engine. If you are really worried disconnect the Battery negative terminal.

On my 2007, I leave the key in the "r" position and the radio turns off by itself in about 30 seconds. When I start the bike again, I have to hit the "ON" button to turn the radio back on.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2017 KTM 350 EXC-F (single track monster)
2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun on the fire roads)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cowÖwhat a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #15 of 15 Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 8:45 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickerbiker
On my 2007, I leave the key in the "r" position and the radio turns off by itself in about 30 seconds. When I start the bike again, I have to hit the "ON" button to turn the radio back on.
There you go another undocumented improvement. Normally the radio will stay on or can be turned on from the "R" position, as it is sort of the accessory position. There was an issue with older bikes having miss-matched radios and radio controllers and if you did not shut down the radio before turning off the key (and I mean all the way off) you had a serious current drain.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in