New battery = loud alarm= no fob= HELP! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jan 15th, 2006, 6:08 am Thread Starter

New battery = loud alarm= no fob= HELP!

O.K. Good friend's 01 LT has developed an annoying (and had he found a hammer, near fatal) flaw. He can't shut the alarm off. OOPS!! The last time we planned on riding his battery was weak so he declined. He purchased a new battery (as I had months ago) and he dutifully installed it. But unlike mine, his bike's alarm started and wouldn't stop. For some reason I had zero problems and my alarm never went off on my LTC. He has called Lonestar in Austin and although friendly as usual they were not a lot of help at closing time Saturday and suggested he trailer it down on Tuesday. All fine and dandy but-we want to ride.

Rest of the story . Both he and I purchased our bikes used, mine is an 00. Neither of us received a key fob or pin with our bikes. I have looked through using the search function and Hall of Wisdom and I can't figure out what to tell him. I found one reference to bypassing the alarm completely, and one to paying $400 for an entire new alarm. Oh joy!

Anybody want to take a stab at it? I'd appreciate it a bunch and so would he. Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jan 15th, 2006, 7:35 am

i not 100% sure but i think if you find and pull the fuse for the alarm you should be ok....dont ask me where it is im not sure myself,,,,best i can do,,,when i shovel my into my garage ill get my manual and look
post #3 of 7 Old Jan 15th, 2006, 8:31 am

The alarm fuse is Number 3. Unfortunately, that's also for your horn and brake light! You may need to remove the tour trunk and disconnect the alarm system. Sounds a lot worse than it is. Getting to it is only a 10 minute job, the second time. 30 minutes, the first.

(Ignore my note regarding the radio fuse.)

post #4 of 7 Old Jan 15th, 2006, 9:37 am

Post No Instructions

I have alarm fob but do not have the instruction manual on how to operate it. The bike is a 03. Can anyone give brief instructions on how it operates.
I think it is turned off now hasn't went off. Got the bike used and no manuals with it.

beemerjohn
Arlin (John) Johnson
Pocahontas, IA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 R1200RT Biarritz Blue
post #5 of 7 Old Jan 15th, 2006, 10:01 am

John:
My LT is an '03 so this should apply. Use reasonable caution. The fob you have may not be for your machine but if it turns the alarm on, it should also turn it off. You'll know if it dosen't do anything, you might want to start with a fresh battery in the fob.
There are 3 levels the alarm can be programed to, mine is the mid level and this applies, should yours be a lower or higher levels, well.......
With the bike parked and up on the center stand, depress the left button. The 4 way flasher should flash a couple of times and in about 30 seconds the little red LED on the right by the headlight adjust knob will flash, once every 10 seconds or so. Alarm is now armed. Should the bike be moved the alarm will sound (horn blows) and the 4 ways will flash for about 30 seconds and then reset, if it gets moved again, it'll do it again. The imobilized is also activated. This means you can't start it, even with the key if the alarm is armed.
To disarm (turn off) the alarm just depress the button on the fob and you should be good to go. The red LED wil stop flashing to indicate the alarm is off.
If you park the bike for an extended period of time (couple of weeks or more) with the alarm activated, it will be a good idea to have a trickle charger on to maintain the battery charge. It does use a small amount of battery to run it, enough to kill the battery in a couple of weeks, sooner if your battery is marginal.
I'm going to look for my manual for the alarm system and see about making you a copy. This is a sophisticated system and theres a lot more to it than what I can reasonably present here. No joy if the alarm system keeps you from starting it to get home.
post #6 of 7 Old Jan 15th, 2006, 11:37 am Thread Starter

Unhappy

If my friend hasn't found the big hammer yet, will the fuse "fix" or the "disconnect" the alarm "fix" render it rideable? i.e. will it allow it to start? because as the alarm was going off it was immobilized also. (Probably should have said that, huh?)

Any idea on why mine didn't react this way? Could the previous owner of my bike (who added many gadgets) have disabled the alarm/immobilizer function as was suggested in at least one post I found while searching? Or is the system different? Or should I play the lotto because I am a lucky SOB mine didn't react as his did?
post #7 of 7 Old Jan 15th, 2006, 5:27 pm

Angry

Mine is an 01 and my alarm also has its own battery back-up.Im the one who had to pay 400 bucks for a new alarm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in