Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Edmonton, , Canada
K1200LT pronlems and repairs
I have had an 01 LT for tweo years now and I love it. However, there are some issues with it I need to address, and thank goodness, I went to the bike show here last night and a BMW club had a guy there with an LT and he really helped me and steered me to this site.
1. on cold starting, with the bike on the side stand, it would smoke a lot. I was told that this is normla for the K because of the horizontal cylinders and oil seeping into the chamber over time and burns off when statrted. Is this true and normal?
2. last year, on cold starts, I thought I smeeled fuel until warm. It got worse and then I started it one last ime in the garage before storing it and a puddle of fuel had formed under the engine. Is this the fuel connector problem an O ring problem I see on here? Should I fix it or get my dealer to fix it under the recall I saw on here?
3. Headlight quit on vacation last summer while riding I5 through Seattle at night. I thought it was the bulb but I see a post on here that it could be the ground. Is it easy to diagnose and fix?
4. rear brake noise. Just before I come to a stop, the brake has a high pitch squeel. I clenaed it but didn't help. Any ideas?
5. power winshield sometimes won't work. siwtch or motor or??
also, it now has 50 ooo KM on it, should I change the plugs? and is there oil, fuel, and air filters available at auto parts stores? Know the part #'s in fram, purolator etc?
83 Venture Royale
84 Virago 1000
83 440 LTD belt drive