When do you change tires ?? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jan 17th, 2009, 1:21 pm Thread Starter

Exclamation When do you change tires ??

Hi all;

I purchased the LT in November and was checking a few thing over the winter here and wanted to know at what tire thickness ( or lack there of) do you guys change the tires.

I have just under 4mm front and back (ME880's). I was told I have about 6,000 miles left on the rear, and maybe 8,000 on the front.

This seems like a longer range than I think!!!

Any info would be appreciated.

Regards,
Bowdon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jan 17th, 2009, 1:54 pm

Re: When do you change tires ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowdon
Hi all;

I purchased the LT in November and was checking a few thing over the winter here and wanted to know at what tire thickness ( or lack there of) do you guys change the tires.

I have just under 4mm front and back (ME880's). I was told I have about 6,000 miles left on the rear, and maybe 8,000 on the front.

This seems like a longer range than I think!!!

Any info would be appreciated.

Regards,
Bowdon
By the book, ole Toad should get new shoes when the center-area tread depth measures 2mm. Sooner if 'tween 2mm-3mm and a longish trip is planned. I've never been able to equate mileage per mm, as it changes with riding style and riding location, I think.
post #3 of 8 Old Jan 17th, 2009, 2:19 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

I run them to the wear bars if I'm riding locally. I'll change sooner if I'm heading out on a long trip. That leaves a lot of half-worn tires hanging in the garage.

Plus I always keep the next set of tires waiting in the garage so that when I need to change, I can get it done that day. That's more important with the odd-sized LT tires than with my current GT, but it still helps.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 8 Old Jan 17th, 2009, 2:26 pm

The front tyre is even more important than the rear tyre. There's nothing more dangerous by an LT than a worn-out front tyre
post #5 of 8 Old Jan 17th, 2009, 2:52 pm

The tread depth on new ME880s is 5mm (front) and 9mm (rear). So you still have 80% of the front tire tread and 44% of the rear tire tread. I usually replace a tire when there is 20% of the tread left. But that is for my normal local riding or short trips. Like Dick I will change them out sooner if I have a long trip planned. Especially if I am more heavily loaded and riding into unknown territory or if I don't want to deal with a tire change along the way.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #6 of 8 Old Jan 17th, 2009, 8:23 pm
Super Moderator

When I get into the wear bars.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #7 of 8 Old Jan 17th, 2009, 8:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
When I get into the wear bars.
Which for DT is about every two weeks.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #8 of 8 Old Jan 17th, 2009, 10:44 pm

I change tires (BT020's) when the rear tire's center gets a flat spot and starts grabing the lines in the road. This is usually about 7K and I change both the front and rear at the same time.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in