Alarm System Issue - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jan 17th, 2009, 8:34 am Thread Starter

Alarm System Issue

I have had my 05 LT for 46K miles now. It has the remote key fob that locks the bike on the first push of the fob, and arms the alarm system on the second push of the fob.

Here is my issue, I have noticed this year, that when I ride in cold weather one push on the fob not only locks the bike but arms the security system at the same time, not two pushes as usual. It unlocks just fine and the bike runs just fine. No big deal, but I wonder if anyone else has experienced this and what causes it. Is it a harbinger of a problem somewhere?

When the weather warms up, the fob lock works as usual. No, I do not have a particular temperature that this occurs, but I would guess at least freezing. It happened yesterday in the teens.

Ultra LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jan 17th, 2009, 8:52 am

Re: Alarm System Issue

Greetings Ultra: My 2006 did the same thing yesterday. The temperature in the shop was 34 Degrees before I turned on the heater. First time for me too. I'm perplexed! Sorry...No clue!

v/r

AL
post #3 of 10 Old Jan 17th, 2009, 12:46 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Mine has done that as well but not temerature related. I think it has to do with interfering signals that makes the alarm "think" it has receive two hits. Some days at the same location I have to get the fob right up against the top case to set the alarm. Other days it will work several feet from the bike. 433 Mhz band is widely used by lots of different devices so the interference can come from anywhere. Yeah FCC Part 15!

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old Jan 20th, 2009, 10:29 pm

could it be the rubber on the flob getting cold and staying compressed for what turns out to be two clicks ?
post #5 of 10 Old Jan 21st, 2009, 9:38 am

Hey Rich,

There was a recall on the alarm module (at least on my 05) that Charlotte BMW replaced under warranty.

It never gave me any problem before repair (or since).

I'm assuming you looked through the alarm programming guide to make sure some accidental button pushes that could re-program her.

Joe

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .
post #6 of 10 Old Jan 21st, 2009, 11:22 am

As a matter of fact, I've seen mine immediately set the alarm after locking the bags twice recently when it's been near freezing. I just figured that it was me trying to use the remote with gloves on. And yes, the lack of response from the bike when trying to use the remote is annoying. In my opinion it's due to close proximity of strong radio signals (repeaters, pager and cell phone towers) swamping the input. I doubt that this bike's alarm has a good receiver and is most likely 'wide open' to out of band overloading. This doesn't happen in less populated areas. It works fine. At work it takes a while to lock the bike due to all 3 of the above in immediate view.

Jim Whitsitt KC5KM
BMWMOA# 144388
Garland, TX
'06 K1200LT
Magnesium black metallic
'04 Bushtec Roadstar
"Hukt on Fonix rilly werkt fer mee."
post #7 of 10 Old Jan 21st, 2009, 4:57 pm Thread Starter

Its a strange thing alright. It never happens in warm weather, so I don't think spurious radio phenomina is at fault. It only happens in cold weather. I am comforted to know others are experiencing the same thing and as far as anyone knows, this does not mean a problem is coming. Thanks for all your responses. Any other ideas are welcomed.

Ultra LT
post #8 of 10 Old Jan 21st, 2009, 8:16 pm

I bought my '05 used and it had an alarm but came without a fob. I picked one up used and, once programmed, I was experiencing all the same symptoms described in this thread. Sometimes it would work fine (2 pushes), sometimes I had to be right on top of the seat, sometimes it would "lock-n-load" in 1 push, once I couldn't get it to work at all. After changing the battery a few months ago, it has worked flawlessly from a resonable distance. Every time as expected. Cheap fix and worth a try.
post #9 of 10 Old Jan 21st, 2009, 8:30 pm

If you change the battery in the fob do you have to reprogram alarm?

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...holy $hit...what a ride"-Mavis Leyrer
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Stienbeck
08 CanAm Spyder "Fast Truck"(Wifes')
08 Kawasaki KLR 650 "Lil Dirt Truck"
05 K1200Lt "Lt Truck"
05 Piaggio X9 Reveloution "Lil Truck"

97 International 4700 "Big Truck"

AMA Life Member
BMWMOA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 10 Old Jan 21st, 2009, 8:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey
If you change the battery in the fob do you have to reprogram alarm?
Reprogram no. Just a resync. You just hold down the left button or press it several times (don't remember which) try both. Only takes like three seconds. Then your system will start to respond.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in