BMW Luxury Touring Community

BMW Luxury Touring Community (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/)
-   K1200LT (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/)
-   -   Stalled at 75 MPH (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/43711-stalled-75-mph.html)

MSal4090 Jan 16th, 2009 2:49 pm

Stalled at 75 MPH

This morning on the way into work the bike just stalled while I was doing 75 MPH. I was able to get it to the center divider were it fired up again. I then got it off the highway and it stalled a second time and now will not fire.

It was about 30 degrees out (which is normal this time of year) and I filled the tank yesterday. I ride it everyday to work and this is the first time anything like this has happened. The bike has about 60K on it and I changed the fuel filter at 45K. I am the pretty sure the canister is still on board but I am not the original owner.

Tomorrow I am going to check for fuel at the injectors then spark. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

joegottberg Jan 16th, 2009 2:52 pm

Re: Stalled at 75 MPH

Bummer Mark,

Sounds like you are on the path.

The fuel pump could be a problem, but you'll see that when you check gas flow.

Do you hear the "whoosh" when removing the gas cap? If so the cannister is plugged. I believe you can ride her home with it opened for venting.

Let us know what you find.

eljeffe Jan 16th, 2009 2:54 pm

Did you happen to overfill the tank? If you open the gas cap and year a sucking sound, you probably overflowed into the charcoal cannister.

Sometimes if gas overflows into the charcoal cannister, this can happen. Also, if your vent hoses got gummed up with stuff, the same thing can happen.

EDIT: What Joe said above about the whoosh.

Dick Jan 16th, 2009 3:19 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by eljeffe
Did you happen to overfill the tank? If you open the gas cap and year a sucking sound, you probably overflowed into the charcoal cannister.

Sometimes if gas overflows into the charcoal cannister, this can happen. Also, if your vent hoses got gummed up with stuff, the same thing can happen.

EDIT: What Joe said above about the whoosh.

Other 'possibilities' (not suggestions yet!):

Bad load of gas.
Fuel filter hose clamp finally let go and the hose popped off after 15K.

Hope whatever it is, requires a quick and simple fix - sometimes that happens!! :rolleyes: ;)

Voyager Jan 16th, 2009 8:53 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSal4090
This morning on the way into work the bike just stalled while I was doing 75 MPH. I was able to get it to the center divider were it fired up again. I then got it off the highway and it stalled a second time and now will not fire.

It was about 30 degrees out (which is normal this time of year) and I filled the tank yesterday. I ride it everyday to work and this is the first time anything like this has happened. The bike has about 60K on it and I changed the fuel filter at 45K. I am the pretty sure the canister is still on board but I am not the original owner.

Tomorrow I am going to check for fuel at the injectors then spark. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Possibly some water in the last load of gas that froze and blocked the gas line.

tumbleweed Jan 16th, 2009 9:37 pm

Has some symptoms similar to when my Hall effect sensor went bad.

drags Jan 21st, 2009 9:13 pm

happen to me took it to the shop and they changed the field contoller,what ever that is.get bike back tomorro.its under warranty

kk610lt Jan 25th, 2009 10:29 am

Mine did that once and it was a fuel hose that came off inside the gas tank/fuel pump.

GolfGuy Jan 25th, 2009 12:10 pm

Had the same problem...turned out to be bad battery connection. FWIW :wave

scout70 Jan 26th, 2009 11:56 am

Last summer I was riding my 2008 RT and as I took the off ramp it started to sputter and pop. I pulled to the shoulder and it died. I started it again and fired up but I had to work the throttle to pump fuel into it to keep it going. It finally just quit. It would crank over but not start. Had to have it towed to the dealer. Turned out it was the fuel pump that went out.

Your symptoms sound similar. Sounds like the fuel pump.

bob

MSal4090 Feb 9th, 2009 9:34 pm

Well I pulled everything off and pulled the fuel pump out to bench test it. I came on for a second then stopped, it never came on again. When it was on, it did not sound like it should so I am going to replace it.

I came across the thread about the Ford Taurus fuel pump. Has anyone tried it? How did you attach it to the housing? BMW wants $400.00 for the pump and screen.

Thanks again for the help,
Mark

zippy_gg Feb 10th, 2009 10:54 am

Check ltparts.com and beemerboneyard.com for a used unit.

MSal4090 Feb 17th, 2009 10:08 pm

I ended up getting a fuel pump from one of the members on the site and installed it this evening. I put the tank back on at it fired up on the second try.

Since everything is off, I am going to clean her up a little more.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Mark