Bike work, project questions & what else to do? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jan 16th, 2009, 8:59 am Thread Starter

Question Bike work, project questions & what else to do?

2000 KLT on the lift in my little shop of horrors.
Did BWM 72K mile "Inspection" a little early, but winter is a good time to do it.

Valves: No valve needed changing, but then I had to change a few about 11K ago. Old air filter looks like new, changed it anyway. I hate to throw the old one away but I have read that even if the filter looks good, it will be more restrictive than new. Any truth to that or is it just air filter manufacturer marketing?

Throttle cables: I put in new cables with the 05 upgrade parts at the grip. This my third set of cables, I had changed them out prior to the 05 upgrade parts with some improvement over the OEM which had started to bind. My second set had also started to bind and the throttle was not fully returning closed. With the new cables it really snaps shut and turns pretty easily. Dave, THANKS! for this: http://picasaweb.google.com/dtnicks/...11035847773506
Those pics were a nice refresher, and I flew threw the throttle cable change out in just a few minutes. (I used the big curved hemostat approach so I didn't have to take off the fuel rail.)

I think I'm going to finally mount my air compressor in the place of the cannister (removed years ago) just to give me a little more space in the sidecase.

Wondering, what else should I do, just for fun while things are all apart?

Anyone have a heated seat they want to part with cheap? I've been thinking about that upgrade for years. Or, anyone have a source/technique for modifying the stock seat to make it heated? That would be a project. I wonder if I could just buy some kind of 12v heating pad and install it under the stock seat vinyl? How is the stock heated seat constructed, are the wires imbedded in the foam?

I won't get to ride for a while cause its coldddd!
For those of you in the sunbelt still enjoying riding, you're gonna miss Spring Fever!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7754.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	21457  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jan 16th, 2009, 9:11 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Bike work, project questions & what else to do?

Sounds like you are having fun Curtis.

Down here in the sunbelt we had 9 degrees this morning, Gerbing's just didn't cut it this morning. Actually I have half a mind to throw on the socks, pants and jacket just to see how bad it is tomorrow morning.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Jan 16th, 2009, 9:21 am

Curtis:
I have a spare seat. I am going to check and see if it's heated. It was given to me, so I would have to check it with an ohmmeter to see if it is good. I'll get back to you this weekend.

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne

post #4 of 11 Old Jan 16th, 2009, 9:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
For those of you in the sunbelt still enjoying riding, you're gonna miss Spring Fever!
There's much to be said for when the bluebonnets and other wild flowers start blooming on the side of the road. Best thing Ladybird ever did! And then there's the Mountain Laurels!! The smell is incredible when they bloom.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
post #5 of 11 Old Jan 16th, 2009, 9:58 am

There's a very thin foam "pad" with tiny wires embedded for the OEM seat heater. It's very flexible.

You can get aftermarket pads many places - but they tend to be kind of thick, stiff and ridiculously expensive. Some can be trimmed to fit with ordinary scissors so that you can follow the pear shaped outline of the seat and do a neat installation.

All OEM seats - even the unheated version - have a recess molded into the seat pan on the right side to fit a rocker switch. I've never been able to source one in the US that fits- it's kind of an oddball size.

If you rig an aftermarket pad the simple way to wire it is directly to the battery with an in-line fuse and switch - or find a keyed hot lead - which will keep you from ending up with a dead battery if you forget to turn it off...

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #6 of 11 Old Jan 16th, 2009, 10:07 am

Charlie at 72 K I would consider swapping out the fuel pump. Word has it they become a time bomb at 100 K.

I swapped mine out at 113K 2 years ago, my old pump may have been weak I noticed improved performance after the change.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #7 of 11 Old Jan 16th, 2009, 12:05 pm Thread Starter

Talking Re: Bike work, project questions & what else to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
There's much to be said for when the bluebonnets and other wild flowers start blooming on the side of the road. Best thing Ladybird ever did! And then there's the Mountain Laurels!! The smell is incredible when they bloom.
Ahh... quit rubbin it in, Grif. In another life (or maybe this one) I'm gonna be a Texan. (Can you be a Texan without being born there? 'Round here, we got Vermonters and "Real Vermonters". You have to born a Real Vermonter, and Real Vermonters generally have opinions about who makes the best pick up truck, and whether Holsteins or Jerseys are better.)

Bluebonnets and wild flowers huh? Bout the only thing we see on the open road round here lately is the snow snakes. Ya'll do know what snow snakes are, right? (I know how to say "ya'll" cause I spent six years in SC. Most folks round here don't know how to say "ya'll".)

Grif, warm wishes from deep south of Vermont.
post #8 of 11 Old Jan 16th, 2009, 12:43 pm

We know what snow snakes are in this part of Texas!
post #9 of 11 Old Jan 16th, 2009, 1:48 pm

My '03 LT is just coming off my lift after 4 weeks (I work very slow!) to accomplish the 36K service, and a number of upgrades and mods.

I didn't get everything done that I wanted, but did apply the "silicone mod" to hopefully quiet the rear brake cowbell noise, and also installed and wired a power center stand from an '05 LT, as well as performed the speedometer accuracy mod.

These and several other mods seem to make the LT a bit more personalized for me. Maybe one or more of these would be of interest to you?

Bob Allred
Riverton, Utah
'03 K1200LT

2 old Airheads & 1 Oilhead

post #10 of 11 Old Jan 16th, 2009, 5:21 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allred
My '03 LT is just coming off my lift after 4 weeks (I work very slow!) to accomplish the 36K service, and a number of upgrades and mods.

I didn't get everything done that I wanted, but did apply the "silicone mod" to hopefully quiet the rear brake cowbell noise, and also installed and wired a power center stand from an '05 LT, as well as performed the speedometer accuracy mod.

These and several other mods seem to make the LT a bit more personalized for me. Maybe one or more of these would be of interest to you?
4 Weeks?!?! That'd be some kind of record for winter work around here.
Excellent suggestions, but I have a Pre-cowbell rotor. (It used to schreech alot, until I wore the pads down to the metal and scored the heck out of the rotor; now she don't schreech no more.
Speedo fix done years ago; isn't the board great?

I'm going to do something to make the seat heated, clean up some of my Autocom wiring, and put some Marvel Mystery Oil in all the orifices. Okay, maybe not the last one.

I'd add one of those accessory fuse blocks in place of the several in line fuses I have, but fuse blocks are over priced IMO. Anybody know of a good but cheap, fuse block?

Thanks for the great suggestions.
post #11 of 11 Old Jan 16th, 2009, 6:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
Ahh... quit rubbin it in, Grif. In another life (or maybe this one) I'm gonna be a Texan. (Can you be a Texan without being born there? 'Round here, we got Vermonters and "Real Vermonters". You have to born a Real Vermonter, and Real Vermonters generally have opinions about who makes the best pick up truck, and whether Holsteins or Jerseys are better.)
When I lived in Texas, I was refferred to as a "damn yankee". It was explained to me that a yankee was from the north (or anywhere else that wasn't Texas), and a damn yankee was someone that is from the north that came to Texas and didn't leave. I guess I am back to be being just a yankee again.

Tony

2006 K1200LT "SNOB"

IBA 35008

"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders" - Ted Nugent

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in