J&M CB - BMW Option - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old Jan 15th, 2009, 4:07 pm Thread Starter

J&M CB - BMW Option

I need some help guys. I am in the process of installing a used J&M CB, which is the BMW option model. I have no instruction manual for it nor, to my knowledge, is there one available. I have been to J&M as well as my dealer with no help so far. My question lies with the Push to Talk button. The kit that I have has the button and its mount but no wiring harness coming out of it, which adds to the problem of figuring out where it should plug into the main harness. Upon removing the plastic and exposing the (6) leads coming out of the harness there is only one open receptacle in which to plug something in. This receptacle has only (1) white wire feeding into it. The Push to Talk button has (2) leads coming from it. That is my dilemma how and where does the PTT button hook into? In addition to this problem the supplied Power Lead/noise filter is a little puzzling also. It has a Positive, a Negative, and a Purple lead on the input side of the filter and a Positive and Negative lead going to the J&M unit. Upon hooking the unit up to the battery I get only 2.5 volts output to the J&M unit. If I hook the Purple lead up to a 12V power source I now have 12V feeding the J&K unit. I have wired up several JMCB2003 units on R1200GS's and have not encountered this extra wire. I appreciate any feedback anyone might have, and a BMW installation manual would be great.

Tom Dowell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old Jan 16th, 2009, 3:33 am
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile Re: J&M CB - BMW Option

You don't mention which year LT you have or what options it came with.
The '06 we have had the PTT wiring pre-installed in the left handle bar fairing.
Just had to remove the plastic and found two free wires with very small connectors. Hooked them up to a BMW PTT and it worked. The housing was from the motoLites.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PTT1.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	21455   Click image for larger version

Name:	PTT2.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	21456  

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in