Its Time for A Redesigned LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Jan 15th, 2009, 1:14 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Its Time for A Redesigned LT

I remember this board when you could log in and there would be great new posts with innovative ideas for customizing the LT. Wings of gold, Running lights, Rhinewest, etc. Lots of really useful and technical tips on servicing and modifying your LT from Dave Shealy, Marc Neblett and all the others.

After 10 years, we must've run out of ideas for the old gal. Lots of re-hashing of the same questions and comments. So it must be time for a new version of our grand old machine. She's run her course.

I'm biding my time and saving some cash. If the new model leaps ahead like this one did ten years ago, count me in.

Bob

Bob
2003 K1200LT Black
Rockaway, NJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Jan 15th, 2009, 1:35 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Re: Its Time for A Redesigned LT

Don't worry, a new LT is coming, soon. (They always say "soon", don't they?) I heard it will be a Wing-killer, with a 3,600cc flat-10 engine and built-in auto-deploying outriggers (since it will probably weigh 1,800 lbs). Of course, it'll only get 17 mpg, but it's gonna be great!

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 19 Old Jan 15th, 2009, 2:23 pm

I was thinking something more along the line of Art Arfons favorite engine(s).
It would only come in green.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtUB1yI035g&NR=1

Jim Whitsitt KC5KM
BMWMOA# 144388
Garland, TX
'06 K1200LT
Magnesium black metallic
'04 Bushtec Roadstar
"Hukt on Fonix rilly werkt fer mee."

post #4 of 19 Old Jan 15th, 2009, 4:46 pm
Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Don't worry, a new LT is coming, soon. (They always say "soon", don't they?) I heard it will be a Wing-killer, with a 3,600cc flat-10 engine and built-in auto-deploying outriggers (since it will probably weigh 1,800 lbs). Of course, it'll only get 17 mpg, but it's gonna be great!
And if flies, spews gold out of the rear drive, and attracts hot women with oversized breasts.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #5 of 19 Old Jan 15th, 2009, 6:33 pm

*Perks Up* Gold out it's back side and Breastes?.. flies too?.....
I'm IN!

Don't be afraid to say what you feel, as those that matter DOnt mind and those that mind Dont matter.
Dr.Suess-
-

1980 YAMAHA XJ650 MAXIM (RIP)
1982 YAMAHA 750 VIRAGO (SHES GONE)
1982 SUZUKI GS1000 (GONE)
2001 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R 1150 RT Sold.....
2007 BMW R 1200 GS
1986 BMW K100RT WITH A FLEXIT SIDECAR

1985 BMW K100 RT ( parts bike, but its too nice to do that, so it runs)
post #6 of 19 Old Jan 15th, 2009, 6:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
And if flies, spews gold out of the rear drive, and attracts hot women with oversized breasts.

now, on a more serious tone..

So let me get this straight, the LT should be redesigned because.. we ran out of accessorizing ideas? Basically the product is so good and lasts so long that one can ran out of stuff to add..?

I would understand something about the rear drive (although, if one checks the FD failure registry, it's not just the LT's drive that fails. All models have the same issue) or something about the clutch, but that wouldn't be a redsign, they would simple upgrade the LT as they have been doing thorughout the years. Some complained about linked brakes, they added linked servo-assisted brakes (best brakes in the world), then we complained that they were too sensistive, they fixed them. We complained about the lights, they changed them to HID. We complained about the seat, the narrower comfort seat became standard. We complained about handling at low speed, they changed the rake angle (?). We complained about the rear brake sounding like a dumpster stopping to pickup a trash can, they fixed it (at least Trinity doesn't squeal). We complained about the centrestand, they added electro-hydraulic centrestand.

Don't get me wrong, I am probably more of a sucker for a new toy than everybody else , and I am all for change. But throwing something away just because we ran out of ideas for it sounds a little extreme, especially when we are talking about an LT.. one of the very few smile-making, blood pressure stabilizing, anti-depressant, sense-stimulating, and darn FUN machine in the world.
post #7 of 19 Old Jan 15th, 2009, 6:54 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberphysicist

now, on a more serious tone..

So let me get this straight, the LT should be redesigned because.. we ran out of accessorizing ideas? Basically the product is so good and lasts so long that one can ran out of stuff to add..?

I would understand something about the rear drive (although, if one checks the FD failure registry, it's not just the LT's drive that fails. All models have the same issue) or something about the clutch, but that wouldn't be a redsign, they would simple upgrade the LT as they have been doing thorughout the years. Some complained about linked brakes, they added linked servo-assisted brakes (best brakes in the world), then we complained that they were too sensistive, they fixed them. We complained about the lights, they changed them to HID. We complained about the seat, the narrower comfort seat became standard. We complained about handling at low speed, they changed the rake angle (?). We complained about the rear brake sounding like a dumpster stopping to pickup a trash can, they fixed it (at least Trinity doesn't squeal). We complained about the centrestand, they added electro-hydraulic centrestand.

Don't get me wrong, I am probably more of a sucker for a new toy than everybody else , and I am all for change. But throwing something away just because we ran out of ideas for it sounds a little extreme, especially when we are talking about an LT.. one of the very few smile-making, blood pressure stabilizing, anti-depressant, sense-stimulating, and darn FUN machine in the world.
I agree. Fix the FD, slave cylinder, rear seal, etc. and maybe refresh the styling, but I'm not sure a complete redesign is needed other than to "keep up with the Jones" or "the Hondas" as the case may be!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #8 of 19 Old Jan 15th, 2009, 7:21 pm

After you ride the new 4 cylinder engine, you'll realize the flying brick really is at the end of it's life.

I want a heads up display with infra red to see the horned rats.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #9 of 19 Old Jan 16th, 2009, 9:20 am

Question Re: Its Time for A Redesigned LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter36
I remember this board when you could log in and there would be great new posts with innovative ideas for customizing the LT. Wings of gold, Running lights, Rhinewest, etc. Lots of really useful and technical tips on servicing and modifying your LT from Dave Shealy, Marc Neblett and all the others.

After 10 years, we must've run out of ideas for the old gal. Lots of re-hashing of the same questions and comments. So it must be time for a new version of our grand old machine. She's run her course.

I'm biding my time and saving some cash. If the new model leaps ahead like this one did ten years ago, count me in.

Bob
I was thinking the exact same thing after seeing 65 replies to the burn out post. WTF is up wit dat.

EZ-RDR55
The opinions expressed herein are mine, and do not represent that of any other humanoid past, present or future on this or any other planet.

'95 H-D FXDWG
'06 Honda CRF250X
'04 KTM 450EXC
'97 Honda XR-600R
'04 K1200LT (Sold)
'07 K1200GT (Sold)
'09 Wee-Strom DL-650ABS
post #10 of 19 Old Jan 16th, 2009, 10:44 am

I do hope you all realise that your current LT will be worth a lot less then

btw: I asked around here and I 've learned that it 's gonna take at least another two years for a new model to come. One of the reasons is that they where designing a 6-cylinder but they couldn't get it right for Kyoto. So back to the drawingboard for a 4-cylinder. Probably 2010 the new model will be presented on the motorshow in KŲln Germany

Last edited by WimLT; Jan 16th, 2009 at 10:58 am.
post #11 of 19 Old Jan 16th, 2009, 11:50 am
Lifetime Supporter

Smile Re: Its Time for A Redesigned LT

I hope the engineers don't hang out with these guys while they're on the drawing board for the new LT. (The 1,800 pound comment made me think of these guys)

http://www.bosshoss.com/products.asp

post #12 of 19 Old Jan 16th, 2009, 6:22 pm

No redesign needed...... Increase the color selection and keep doing the refining as has been done over the last decade..... Changing the looks with out major underneath refinements ain't no good... 2005 refinements was the way to make changes..........Pete
post #13 of 19 Old Jan 16th, 2009, 10:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
After you ride the new 4 cylinder engine, you'll realize the flying brick really is at the end of it's life.

Grif,
This hurts, but it is very true . I loved the brick.. had four of them, but a ride on the new four really highlights how dated the flying brick technology really is.
post #14 of 19 Old Jan 16th, 2009, 10:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oisin
Grif,
This hurts, but it is very true . I loved the brick.. had four of them, but a ride on the new four really highlights how dated the flying brick technology really is.
I just can't wait to see what they do with the new LT. Sure wish BMW would hurry up before someone pops a membrane.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #15 of 19 Old Jan 16th, 2009, 10:45 pm

Quote:
I just can't wait to see what they do with the new LT. Sure wish BMW would hurry up before someone pops a membrane.
Or runs out and buy's a Goldwing or sumthin

D.Kinsey
Santa Fe, Tx.
15 R1200RT
13 Ducati Panigale Tricolore

12 Ducati Diavel Carbon(SOLD)
08 K1200LT (born 12/19/07)(SOLD)

09 Triumph Sprint ST...RED(SOLD)
00 K1200LT Custom Painted(SOLD)
post #16 of 19 Old Jan 17th, 2009, 8:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Kinsey
Or runs out and buy's a Goldwing or sumthin
Before you know it someone will be interviewing for the greeter job opening at the local Walmart.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #17 of 19 Old Jan 17th, 2009, 8:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Before you know it someone will be interviewing for the greeter job opening at the local Walmart.
Prolly get a discount on the stuffed animals at least

D.Kinsey
Santa Fe, Tx.
15 R1200RT
13 Ducati Panigale Tricolore

12 Ducati Diavel Carbon(SOLD)
08 K1200LT (born 12/19/07)(SOLD)

09 Triumph Sprint ST...RED(SOLD)
00 K1200LT Custom Painted(SOLD)
post #18 of 19 Old Jan 17th, 2009, 9:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Kinsey
Prolly get a discount on the stuffed animals at least
Crane machine! Win it for 25 cents.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #19 of 19 Old Jan 17th, 2009, 10:48 am

Quote:
Crane machine! Win it for 25 cents.
If that was my quarter, I'd drop it in and come out with something that looks like a hard boiled egg. I would be OK with that until I tried to mount it on the trunk rack.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in