Front brake line part number - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jan 14th, 2009, 7:58 pm Thread Starter

Front brake line part number

First, let me say that I should have checked the forum before I made any decisions....

So it was a warm Colorado Saturday, and I was going to get out my new (to me) 99 LT and take it for a spin. Front brakes felt kinda spongy, looked down, there's a huge brake fluid puddle under the front tire. I push it back into the garage, and pull out the offending line. It's the flexible one that goes from somewhere up top to the front right caliper. Ordered one from my local BMW dealer (mistake -- shoulda ordered new ones from Spiegler), a week later, I pick it up. I finish pulling the old one out, start to install the new one, and what do you think I found? IT DOESN'T FIT. The top of the hose fits fine all the way to the lower brake connector that goes into the caliper. The old one was at about a 45 deg angle; the new one is at 90 deg. No way will it fit. Take it back, and boy, I'm bummed (another nice Colorado Saturday). Parts manager takes a look at it, rechecks the part number, reorders. I leave the line with him. He gets one in, it's still the wrong one.

So, he's taken a picture of both of them and sent them to BMW NA to figure out what's going on.

My question -- has anyone else had this problem?

Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jan 14th, 2009, 8:09 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Front brake line part number

I would recommend you just get the kit and replace all the flex lines as they are now 10 years old. They made us change all hoses on aircraft every 4 years. We have seen way too many of these failing now on the older LTs. This may be the year I do the ones on my 5 year old 05.

I looked at the manual - the integral brake hose uses a 90 degree banjo the ABS II uses a 45 degree banjo. The correct PN is 34322331462(for the 45 degree). The PN for the later model line is 34327650208(90 degree).

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jzeiler; Jan 14th, 2009 at 8:18 pm.
post #3 of 7 Old Jan 14th, 2009, 8:15 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric80233
First, let me say that I should have checked the forum before I made any decisions....

So it was a warm Colorado Saturday, and I was going to get out my new (to me) 99 LT and take it for a spin. Front brakes felt kinda spongy, looked down, there's a huge brake fluid puddle under the front tire. I push it back into the garage, and pull out the offending line. It's the flexible one that goes from somewhere up top to the front right caliper. Ordered one from my local BMW dealer (mistake -- shoulda ordered new ones from Spiegler), a week later, I pick it up. I finish pulling the old one out, start to install the new one, and what do you think I found? IT DOESN'T FIT. The top of the hose fits fine all the way to the lower brake connector that goes into the caliper. The old one was at about a 45 deg angle; the new one is at 90 deg. No way will it fit. Take it back, and boy, I'm bummed (another nice Colorado Saturday). Parts manager takes a look at it, rechecks the part number, reorders. I leave the line with him. He gets one in, it's still the wrong one.

So, he's taken a picture of both of them and sent them to BMW NA to figure out what's going on.

My question -- has anyone else had this problem?

Eric
Sorry to say that I've not heard of this before. On my 2000 LT when I blew a hose I just went with Spiegler. My thinking was if one line blew how do the other line look? Also the full kit from Spiegler was less then $250.00 at my door and all lines from BMW where over $450.00. I've done 4 bikes with Spiegler lines this last year and highly recommend them. I say tell the dealer to refund your money and call Spiegler.

Stevie Shreeve

post #4 of 7 Old Jan 14th, 2009, 9:20 pm

Did you buy them direct for Speigler? I looked on their website and it did not look like they sold direct.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #5 of 7 Old Jan 14th, 2009, 10:41 pm Thread Starter

Did some more research, based on jzeiler's part numbers. The correct BMW part number for the brake line I need is 34322332448, and what my guy ordered 34327650207. From what I can gather, there's two sections of the part guide, and the correct section is group 34-15, Anti lock system, not 34-05, front wheel brake. Anyway, I'm going to take everybody's suggestion and get the Spiegler lines from somebody local.

And while I'm on the subject, can I reuse the BMW banjo bolts, or do I have to spring $6 each on new aluminum ones from Spiegler? Do they come with the crush washers?

Eric
post #6 of 7 Old Jan 15th, 2009, 12:08 am

Smile Re: Front brake line part number

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd
Did you buy them direct for Speigler? I looked on their website and it did not look like they sold direct.

Just give them a call and tell them what you want lines for.
post #7 of 7 Old Jan 15th, 2009, 1:15 am

Eric,
Had the exact problem - not a fun experience. Nearest dealer to me is 150 miles away in the Tacoma area. South Sound BMW ordered the recommended part for the 99LT and sent it over to me in Yakima. I was excited to have my "baby" back when I found (just like you) that the bottom banjo - rather than the 45 - was a 90 and the bottom tubing to the banjo was just a little shorter. I called them...the only other option was for an 05? - which they promptly sent, and voila - problem solved. Feel free to call them and ask them about the mix-up - they have been great to work with.
Mine only has 25K on it and I'm sure that the rest of the lines will follow shortly...not all things improve with age.

Good Luck
Ron

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in