HID installed last night.... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Jan 13th, 2009, 8:24 am Thread Starter

HID installed last night....

Hey Fellas,
I installed my HID from DDM Tuning last night (plug and play), and I have just one comment. HOLY FRIGGIN' CRAP! That setup makes ALL the difference in the world. I am running PIAA also, and now the forward vision is FANTASTIC! To anyone that hasn't done this upgrade and rides at night, bump it up on the priority list. It was VERY EASY.
I purchased this setup online for $55 SHIPPED. Worth every dime!
Their website is HERE
Kudos to DDM, AND they have a LIFETIME WARRANTY!

"You can tell more about a person by what he says about others than you can by what others say about him."
Leo Aikman

Remember folks, street lights timed for 35 mph are also timed for 70 mph. ~Jim Samuels

Current Love
2001 K1200LT Champagne (Roxy)

Previous loves...
2000 K1200LT Canyon Red (Suzie Q)
1986 Honda Interceptor Black (Weezy)
1999 K1200LT Graphite (Grey Goose)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Jan 13th, 2009, 8:47 am
Lifetime Supporter

Smile Re: HID installed last night....

Second the motion for DDM tuning. I purchased mine there as well. Their ballasts are the very small (cell phone sized) solid state units. I simply zipped mine to the side of my air intake.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old Jan 13th, 2009, 8:09 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: HID installed last night....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochinosucio
Hey Fellas,
I installed my HID from DDM Tuning last night (plug and play), and I have just one comment. HOLY FRIGGIN' CRAP! That setup makes ALL the difference in the world. I am running PIAA also, and now the forward vision is FANTASTIC! To anyone that hasn't done this upgrade and rides at night, bump it up on the priority list. It was VERY EASY.
I purchased this setup online for $55 SHIPPED. Worth every dime!
Their website is HERE
Kudos to DDM, AND they have a LIFETIME WARRANTY!
Do you know if their unit will work on a 2007 that already has an HID low beam? I'd love to have the same brightness on high beam as on low.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 Old Jan 13th, 2009, 8:43 pm

I installed HID on my high beam on my 05', got it from CQ. The small ballast and ingniter I just installed on top of the head light housing's nice flat surface.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #5 of 18 Old Jan 14th, 2009, 6:46 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatson
I installed HID on my high beam on my 05', got it from CQ. The small ballast and ingniter I just installed on top of the head light housing's nice flat surface.
Which bulb style did you choose? I'm assuming that CQ offers a variety like DDM offers, but maybe not...

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #6 of 18 Old Jan 14th, 2009, 11:59 pm

The H 11 bulb was a 5K, would have like to go with a 4300K but at that time they didn't stock it.

14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #7 of 18 Old Jan 15th, 2009, 10:02 am

5 degrees Kelvin.. That's pretty low...

I know you meant 5000K I just couldn't resist..

CQ's lamps start at 5000 kelvin..They don't offer the 4300.

Sounds like the DDM is the best price anyway these days... And the ballast is so much smaller... I may have to get 4 of them for my CLC..

Talk about light... The CLC has the best stock lights of any BMW as it is..

Changing them out to HID would be Awesome....

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #8 of 18 Old Jan 15th, 2009, 11:30 am

Coch: What is the price now. You said $55.00 and I could not find that one. Which one did you purchase?
post #9 of 18 Old Jan 15th, 2009, 11:51 am

Is the install really plug and play or do you have to drill any holes, grind any plastic or do any mods of any kind? Any pictures on the install?

Jim
post #10 of 18 Old Jan 15th, 2009, 12:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwoolsey
Second the motion for DDM tuning. I purchased mine there as well. Their ballasts are the very small (cell phone sized) solid state units. I simply zipped mine to the side of my air intake.

i've done one of the DDMs too .. a few winter night rides in rural maryland has me able to see the "deer zone" out to the sides that was just darkness before...

one of their techs had me order a dual headlight H7 kit that was intended for a quad...the kit was 15$ more than the single H7 kit so i have a spare bulb and balast ignitor unit for repair parts for less than the cost of 2 spare bulbs.

the quality and amount of light from the thing is astounding... best tech upgrade i have EVER put on any vehicle...on my 2000 LT i used some industrial strength velco to mount the balast units on the top of the water deflectors inside the fairing panels...if i need to pull tupperware i just need to 'shreeeeeek' the balast unit off that shelf.

only mod required is to drill a 7/8" hole into the back of the removable headlight cover. i had my entire install done in about 45 minutes with no bodywork removal.

DDM kit and product rocks....a happy customer.

g.

greg shamieh boof # 93 k-whiner # 83
jefferson, maryland

2000 K1200LT --- "darkside"
75R90S -- "esssss"
73R75/5 -- "mojo"
post #11 of 18 Old Jan 15th, 2009, 5:01 pm

The ballasts of the DDM, are they smaller than the ballasts of the CQ's? That is one of the reasons I went with them is the small solid state ballasts. My hight beam on the 05' was just plug and play but on some installs you have to cut out a hole in the lights rubber cover for the gromet to fit but that is easy.

14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #12 of 18 Old Jan 16th, 2009, 11:38 am

Hey dmatson- Isn't that a Ducati Designs headlight unit? I have one, too (if it is) and I thought you shouldn't put HID bulbs in them.

I researched it and found you can replace the Hella cells (the round brown things in your picture) with Hella projectors which would give you TRUE HID lighting. The non-HID cells just scatter light while the projectors pin-point aim it for perfect lighting. Unfortunately, the projectors are about $450 EACH. So when I have a spare grand lying around the house, I just might do that.

But again, my original question is, did you install HID bulbs into stock Ducati Designs lighting?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatson

mike p
2005 BMW K1200LT (got it in July 2007)
2002 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-12R (parked next to the LT)
1982 Suzuki GS-750EZ (paid $500
for it in 1985, sold it for $450 in 2000)
1978 Honda CB-500F (sold in 1980)
1976 Honda CB-400F (drowned to
death in the blizzard of 1978 in Boston)
post #13 of 18 Old Jan 16th, 2009, 11:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb0lxx
Is the install really plug and play or do you have to drill any holes, grind any plastic or do any mods of any kind? Any pictures on the install?

Jim

Also, how much of the nose cone/fairing did you have to remove for the install?

Thanks,
Glenn

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #14 of 18 Old Jan 16th, 2009, 2:41 pm Thread Starter

I bought the 35w ballast, and 4500K bulb. I went ahead and took off the tupperware, only needed to drill a 7/8 hole in the removable cover for the headlight access. I used the included double stick foam to mount the ballast to the plastic air intake.... I may want to try the 55w ballast. The 35w is bright, much better than stock, but a hunger for even more light might just make me try it....

"You can tell more about a person by what he says about others than you can by what others say about him."
Leo Aikman

Remember folks, street lights timed for 35 mph are also timed for 70 mph. ~Jim Samuels

Current Love
2001 K1200LT Champagne (Roxy)

Previous loves...
2000 K1200LT Canyon Red (Suzie Q)
1986 Honda Interceptor Black (Weezy)
1999 K1200LT Graphite (Grey Goose)
post #15 of 18 Old Jan 16th, 2009, 8:25 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford1604
Coch: What is the price now. You said $55.00 and I could not find that one. Which one did you purchase?
its the single kit with the upgrade to the 55 watt ballast for $10.
post #16 of 18 Old Jan 16th, 2009, 9:27 pm

Fashtek has them too (4300) but look like you found great prices.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #17 of 18 Old Jan 17th, 2009, 11:13 pm

The HID is only in the high beam. I begged Paul to make these for the 05' for a year until he gave in and I tested it for him, anyway he said that the Hella with the H9 bulb put out about 2/3's of the light an HID conversion to your low beam would so with two of these I don't find myself wanting more light. Since my high beam is an H11 and that is the replacement HID for the Hella H9 bulb I may just stick one in and compare them one day side by side. It is hard to compare the light between the high and lows now because of the temp differences and the Hella's are very much aimed compared to the high beam. One thing that I do know is that when I am out on the open road and I have the low's & high plus the Piaa's on it's bright!

14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #18 of 18 Old Jan 19th, 2009, 2:20 am

Funny that I'd run across this thread tonight...I just installed a Ducati Designs headlight on my '05 (Xmas Present a couple years ago...Don't know why I finally picked today to install?) I say we find a way to engineer velcro tupperware panels, After spending the entire afternoon, unscrewing and rescrewing panels, I know why I put it off form two years!
When it was all done, I took it for a test ride and can't imagine wanting more light. The TWO Low Beam bulbs are putting out nearly as much as my HID Micro's mounted under the mirrors. I'm sure I must look like an Airbus on approach when all lights are fired up on a dark country road! Dollar for Dollar, the HID upgrade can't be beat...$55 compared to $500 for the Ducati Designs. But I really like the look of the Ducati headlight. The Light output's fantastic!

2005 LT AKA:"PHAT BOY"
Dark Graphite

Last edited by WPNorton; Jan 19th, 2009 at 2:31 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in