Other bikes have issues too! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Jan 12th, 2009, 8:34 pm Thread Starter

Other bikes have issues too!

I see all the posts on our final drive and clutch worries but I know other bikes have issues also, some very serious.

Cruising around the Honda ST1300 world, I found one there called the Pan-Weave. Apparently at speeds around 110mph and with certain loading conditions, riders report a noticable and sometimes violent speed wobble. A police officer in europe was killed in a high speed chase when his ST reportedly went into the pan-weave. Subsequent tests by euro safety agencies and rider magazine confirmed the existence of this problem.

They also had recall items, power problems leaving riders along side the road etc.

I'm also into dual sport riding and the big issue with the very popular Kawasaki KLR650 is called the "DooHickey". This is a spring somewhere around the starter motor that often breaks (or pops off) and goes into some other internals, causing problems. So of course, many threads on that forum are dedicated to "Doing the Doo". (Replacing the spring with an aftermarket kit.)

So, the bottom line is, as many say when we see these FD worry posts, all machines have issues. Just do the maintenance and ride. Fix the stuff that breaks and ride some more.

What have some of you heard or experienced with other bikes that seem to be "the big issue" on that model?

Steve
Chandler, AZ
2000 BMW 1200LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Jan 12th, 2009, 10:46 pm

Re: Other bikes have issues too!

Well... since ya asked...

2004 HD... FLHTC... major "tank slapper" as drive train oscillates inside bike frame. Killed a local cop.. tried to kill me and my wife...3 times. Of course I am not a good rider so that's why I was banished from HD...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #3 of 13 Old Jan 12th, 2009, 10:55 pm

Yep!!! I had a Honda 750 try to kill me one time when I landed a wheelie at about 70 mph on a railroad crossing. Geometry of that thing was terrible!!!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #4 of 13 Old Jan 12th, 2009, 10:59 pm

My previous bike was a 1991 Honda ST1100 which I rode for 97,000 miles. I put 2 voltage regulators and an alternator (after 1st regulator left me stranded). Also a couple years ago it lost a rear wheel bearing during a trip 600 miles from home. Some other issues over the years: lean angle sensor, leaking fork seals, fuel shut off valve, steering head wabble if you let go the handle bars (which I never resolved). I'm sure I've missed something.
post #5 of 13 Old Jan 13th, 2009, 3:54 am

Unhappy Re: Other bikes have issues too!

Further to the ST1300 "pan weave"
A police motorcyclist was killed a while ago when his motorcycle went out of control. I believe it was attributed to the "pan weave".
Whatever it was, the force he worked for scrapped ALL their ST1300s, even brand new, zero mileage bikes which they removed chunks of the frame from before selling them to dismantlers.
Now it could be it was down to the extra equipment carried by police bikes, but my ST1300 felt decidedly unstable at speed, I couldn't wait to get rid of it.

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/news/tm_h...name_page.html

http://www.visordown.com/motorcyclen...rvice/786.html

Kind of puts the whole FD problem into perspective doesn't it
Ride safe.

Simon

2006 k1200LT........my 13th!
post #6 of 13 Old Jan 13th, 2009, 4:16 am

My ST1100 has been the most reliable bike I have ever known, but the ST1300 is a pig. Put the UK coppers back on the BMWs in an instant. When the 13s came out the police forces sold off all the 11s for peanuts and there are loads of low mileage ones about still. Not often you can buy a bike with virtually guaranteed 100,000 miles left to on them for under £2k

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #7 of 13 Old Jan 13th, 2009, 8:47 am

Had a Kawasaki Concours gas valve go out mid trip. Shot gas down my leg and all over the engine. No parts to be found anywhere around. Wrapped it in tape and epoxy to get home. Took a week to get the part.

And HD Road King brakes!
post #8 of 13 Old Jan 13th, 2009, 9:22 am
Lifetime Supporter

I had a return port on my Yamaha rear caliper plug up. I started smelling burnt brake at speed but didn't realize what it was. By the time I stopped the rotor was blue and there were pieces of pad metal welded to it. I got home by bleeding the caliper and letting some air into it to relieve the pressure.

post #9 of 13 Old Jan 13th, 2009, 9:44 am

Lucas(the prince of darkness) electrics on older Triumphs.What a nightmare.

Jeff Bokusky

Shoreview ,Mn.

2001 K1200LT ---
1973 Harley FLH 96 c.i.
1948 Harley EL 88 c.i.
1985 kawasaki KX250
1993 honda XR 200--
1978 Triumph Bonneville
post #10 of 13 Old Jan 13th, 2009, 10:05 am

Yes others have problems. But the LT sets the standards by which others measure how good their bikes actually are. Just to mention LT in another forum starts a series of posts pages long.
post #11 of 13 Old Jan 13th, 2009, 10:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefMn
Lucas(the prince of darkness) electrics on older Triumphs.What a nightmare.
Q: Why do people in England drink their beer at room temperature?

A: Because Lucas makes refridgerators.

My Suzuki Intruders (both the 800 and 1400 varieties) had a license plate bracket that would break off up under the fender. Not too bad, unless you were riding along and suddenly your rear tire tried to stuff the bracket, plate, and plate light up under your seat. I learned to check it often, carry fender washers with me, and had a spare bracket at home.

Beautify America - Get a Tattoo!
2002 K1200LT (going, going, GONE)
post #12 of 13 Old Jan 13th, 2009, 3:38 pm

Used to have just jap dirt bikes until the KTM, KTM is more maintanence but its worth it. My big 950 KTM is the most fun bike i have ever ridden but it has issues, its worth them. My LT, sure some things bug me and i don't like how BMW treats it customers and the dealer network is small but... it is worth it!

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #13 of 13 Old Jan 13th, 2009, 3:51 pm
Bouncer

One of my coworkers has a GL1800. His first one he dumped because of the frame cracking issue. His second one would overheat, so much so that the plastic shield around his radiator melted. And his third one had the transmission explode.

He's thinking about a BMW.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in