I finally have a product that easily checks and adds air the the tires. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Jan 12th, 2009, 7:53 pm Thread Starter

I finally have a product that easily checks and adds air the the tires.

Checking the air pressure in the K1200LT's tires used to be a PITA until I installed the SmartTire monitor. It has always been difficult to check the pressures because of the amount of clearance space up front and surrounding plastic in the back. I used to have to either squat down or for the back tire practically lay on my back. Now, as soon as I ride off, I know both pressures.

Now comes the challenge and that's to add air. I bought what I thought would work, but it did not always seat correctly. It's the gauge in the picture, without the right angle adapter. I had previously used the right angle adapter, but I still had to squat down to fill or check the tire.

Long story short, by attaching the right angle adapter to the pressure gauge, I now simply bend over and without even having to look, screw on the gage to the thread, add air, read the gauge while it is still attached and easily make changes. The gauge is very accurate and now is very easy to use. Before I added the right angle adapter, the guage will sometine slip off. Now it is firmly attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	air chuck 002.jpg
Views:	658
Size:	464.1 KB
ID:	21433  

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Jan 12th, 2009, 8:47 pm

Re: I finally have a product that easily checks and adds air the the tires.

Pretty nifty, Dan. I'm like you when it comes to manual checking of pressures on a K12. I may adapt your ... unhhh ... adaptor!!

BTW - not sure why, butt seems I'm not adding air as often on this current set of ME 880 tires, as some prior sets. The SmarTire system has been pretty much right on (they say they're usually more accurate than most gauges) when I check pressures against a known accurate Accugage.

Thanks for sharing, Dan.
post #3 of 23 Old Jan 12th, 2009, 9:32 pm Thread Starter

Dick, I found that just checking the pressure generally caused the tires to loose a little air. It was always hard to seat the pressure gage exactly center. I've had the SmartTire monitor for about 6 months and really do like knowing every time that I start to ride the tire pressures. Even if they have dropped a little, I'll ad some the next time I'm home.

Now it's even easier to add air. The right angle adapter simply screws on the tire valve and holds tight. One simple step.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL

post #4 of 23 Old Jan 12th, 2009, 9:38 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Dan, where did you get your right angle adapter? I have the same gauge and would love to add the adapter. Thanks.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2017 KTM 350 EXC-F (single track monster)
2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun on the fire roads)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #5 of 23 Old Jan 12th, 2009, 10:48 pm

nice looking gauge Dan. Can you use a 90 deg valve stem with the system you have? I have a 90 deg (all steel) on my rear tire (07 GT) and it works great. Don't need one on the front as mine is already coming out of the wheel at a 90

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #6 of 23 Old Jan 12th, 2009, 11:03 pm

Regarding the SmartTire System.

Anybody have any idea why SmartTire stopped selling the their Motorcycle application?

Just checked their website and they state that they no longer sell it.

Thanks

2006 Triumph Tiger
2007 Kawaski 500 LTD
2009 BMW K 1200 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Alaska - The best kept secret in the entire U S of A!

I do not have a problem with God, it's his fan clubs that I do not agree with.
post #7 of 23 Old Jan 13th, 2009, 6:21 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInAlaska

Anybody have any idea why SmartTire stopped selling the their Motorcycle application?

Thanks
They weren't making enough on it and wanted to concentrate on the OTR trucks and OEM business. Big mistake as this is the best system I have found. They since sold the business to Bendix.

dan
post #8 of 23 Old Jan 13th, 2009, 6:40 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
nice looking gauge Dan. Can you use a 90 deg valve stem with the system you have? I have a 90 deg (all steel) on my rear tire (07 GT) and it works great. Don't need one on the front as mine is already coming out of the wheel at a 90
Jack, I had the 90 degree inflation valves on my last set of tires (permanent ones) and still had difficulty getting a tight fit when either checking pressure or adding air. Always seemed to loose air when checking and it was always a real stretch to get everything to fit. It was a challenge.

Now I simply screw the end of the "new" gauge on and fill. The SmartTire has already alerted me to how much air I need and it is one simple step to fill. If I add a little extra, this gauge allows me to easily bleed a little off while still attached.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #9 of 23 Old Jan 13th, 2009, 7:12 am

Garage

I bought my smartire on Fleabay for something like $95 in the Fall. I figure I'll install it when I get a new set of rubber in next summer.

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #10 of 23 Old Jan 13th, 2009, 8:56 am

By "screwing" on the gauge, do you lose any air when you "unscrew" it?

I would assume that it would take at least a second to completely unscrew the gauge, which would mean the pin is still pressed in and you'd be losing air for that amount of time.

Ray "Razman"

2004 BMW K1200LTE - Rosie (As in Whole Lotta Rosie)
1996 HD Sportster XLH883 Hugger (sold)
1986 Honda Interceptor VF500F (sold)

Your chosen perspective changes everything. - Unknown Author

"You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit." - Aristotle; 384-322 BC, Greek Philosopher and Scientist
post #11 of 23 Old Jan 13th, 2009, 9:03 am
Lifetime Supporter

Good looking gauge Dan. I have one that's similar from Harbor Freight. Mine had the odd 45 degree angle on it until I put my tubing bender on it. It now looks very much like yours only it has a push type double fitting instead of the quick connect.

post #12 of 23 Old Jan 13th, 2009, 10:11 am

Smile Re: I finally have a product that easily checks and adds air the the tires.

Where Do I Order This Item??
post #13 of 23 Old Jan 13th, 2009, 10:29 am

My system, although slightly more expensive as well as much less portable, is to put the bike up on the Handy Lift to check pressures. Works Great however I've been looking for a slightly more portable method and like what Dan's done.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #14 of 23 Old Jan 13th, 2009, 11:16 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by razman10
By "screwing" on the gauge, do you lose any air when you "unscrew" it?

I would assume that it would take at least a second to completely unscrew the gauge, which would mean the pin is still pressed in and you'd be losing air for that amount of time.
It takes just a split second to make the final turn and I don't loose any air.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #15 of 23 Old Jan 13th, 2009, 11:20 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeines
I'll get the ordering info for you later today. I'm presently at the big fish tank resting between dives... The basic gauge was about $20.00 and the right angle adapter less than $5.00,

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #16 of 23 Old Jan 13th, 2009, 1:25 pm Thread Starter

Link for the gauge (just did a google search) for $20.00 + shipping and the right angle adapter came from local BMW dealer in Tampa. Probably widely available. If not here is their web address:

http://www.getagauge.com/

http://www.bmwrides.com/ Euro Cycles of Tampa Bay

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #17 of 23 Old Jan 14th, 2009, 12:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInAlaska

Thanks
Hi

Any idea\web page where i can find Smart Tyre system for my LT?
post #18 of 23 Old Jan 14th, 2009, 10:03 am Thread Starter

I've read that they don't make a model for bikes, but the Vulcan site still shows Motorcycles on the front page. I don't see why one designed for a car would not work on the K1200 though. Here is the link to their site.

http://www.vulcantire.com/smartire_sys.htm?

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #19 of 23 Old Jan 14th, 2009, 11:10 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
I've read that they don't make a model for bikes, but the Vulcan site still shows Motorcycles on the front page. I don't see why one designed for a car would not work on the K1200 though. Here is the link to their site.

http://www.vulcantire.com/smartire_sys.htm?
A truly anal person would buy a car kit and install 2 sensors in each wheel 180 degrees apart to get a good balance and redundancy.

Dan Martin
post #20 of 23 Old Jun 17th, 2009, 12:51 am

UGG ... the LTPWS was the bane of every Corvette owner from 1989-1999 ... I don't think there's a single working system still on the road ... although they didn't have a readout for the pressure in each tire, they did have a giant, red "LTPWS" light (how the heck is anyone supposed to know that that means "Low Tire Pressure Warning System"??) ... the Corvette's used a giant stainless hose clamp which was mounted to the inside of each tire (similar to the Vulcan SmarTire system) and it had a RF transmitter on it that 'talked' to a sensor near each wheel, which was sensitive to misalignment and had a very limited range, which meant that you couldn't EVER rotate your tires without the whole system going down ... that Vulcan system looks nice - it looks like they have come a LONG way since the Corvette system

Wow, this 90° adapter/gauge thing looks like an AMAZING system … well worth the time and money to put together… I’ll be looking for one of these very soon, or better yet, hopefully getting a Vulcan system if I can find one … since the company sold out, and it’s unknown if Bendix will be selling them, I’ll have to look on eBay or CraigsList for a set

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn_Keen
My system, although slightly more expensive as well as much less portable, is to put the bike up on the Handy Lift to check pressures. Works Great however I've been looking for a slightly more portable method and like what Dan's done.

slightly off topic, but LYNN! ... what the heck? ... by the looks of your map, it looks like you've strategically avoided Minnesota at all costs, and you’ve even given yourself a 1-state safety barrier around us … we’re nice people, honest! … come and see us so you can fill in your map!

Last edited by RabbitRescue; Jun 17th, 2009 at 1:06 am.
post #21 of 23 Old Jun 17th, 2009, 8:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitRescue

slightly off topic, but LYNN! ... what the heck? ... by the looks of your map, it looks like you've strategically avoided Minnesota at all costs, and you’ve even given yourself a 1-state safety barrier around us … we’re nice people, honest! … come and see us so you can fill in your map!
OK Mr RabbitRescue,
First, welcome to the Group. Second, how about filling out some of your PROFILE, that way we can get to know you a little better.
Having said all that, I'm sure Minnesota is chuck full of great people, and probably the the surrounding five states are as well. I've tried a couple of times to get up your way but seems like something always interferes. You know, little things like the Wife needs a new hip or knee! Anyway, the current plan, is to try and make it to CCR-if the wife is willing and healthy- and while in route I'll cruse through those areas in order to complete my quest to ride the lower 48.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #22 of 23 Old Jun 17th, 2009, 11:03 am

I'm using the TireGard Tire Pressure Monitoring System
that I purchased from Racer Parts Wholesale,
the same folks that bough out Marsee Bags.
It's a wireless system with sending units that replace the valve caps.
I use a RoadGear Accutire gauge.
The TPMS consistently reads one pound less than my tire gauge.
It's great to be able to check it without bending over and physically checking the pressure.
A little pricey, but has saved me loads of time
since I check my pressures every time I start out.

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/p...nd_Pyrometers1

Comparison Chart
http://www.bigbikeparts.com/News/Tir...-02-09%2014.20
post #23 of 23 Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 1:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeines
Here is a link that may be helpful. Click I have the RRA60X which works well on my LT. It is a 60PSI max readout with a rubber cover. Here is a link to a vendor for an example; I am not endorsing the vendor it is just a link I found on google.

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

Last edited by jhsonderb; Oct 3rd, 2010 at 1:32 pm. Reason: Corrected Model Number/ Added link

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in