2005 armrest recommendations - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 11:30 am Thread Starter

2005 armrest recommendations

Hi folks:
This is my 1st post on this board as I am new to the site. I just purchased a 2005 K1200LT and am flying to Florida to pick it up this Saturday. My 1st time on the bike and I have a 1000+ trip
My wife's 1st question was did the bike have armrests? We had a 1994 Kawi Voyager a few years ago and the armrests were the best thing to her. My previous bike was a 1990 K1100LT with no armrests. But my question was if anyone had any experiences or recommendations to share on this purchase? I'm 99% sure I'll also be getting a backrest also but figure I'll stick with the standard OEM addon, unless there are any comments on that.
Thanks for any help and thanks to Rockdoc from Yahoo groups for informing me about this site.
Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 3:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by edonthenet
Thanks .......... to Rockdoc from Yahoo groups for informing me about this site.
Ed
Oh, I'm here as well so let me also welcome you to the new madhouse!

As for looking for goodies, point your mouse over the word Technical on the top bar (under the piccies on the RHS) and then click on Accessories in the sub-menu. If you can't find what you want in amongst that lost you're a picky what-not!

Keith

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
UK 2004 K1200LT Lux - Katie

post #3 of 15 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 3:39 pm

We have the ZTechnik armrests and Marcia loves them. If you've read to the other posts you'll see that there has been lots of discussion on this and bottom line is that it depends a great deal on what fits. They are a quality product and great instructions/templates for drilling into the topcase. They could have done a better job with the detail of the cover that is on the armrest itself becuase it looks a bit crooked.

We have not experienced any of the other armrests but are very happy with ours.

post #4 of 15 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 4:12 pm

I'll pitch in my $0.02 --

I have the G&G armrests. They're excellent -- good enough that I've transferred them to their third LT now

Stupid expensive, but high quality goods, and IMO, a superior mounting system -- very discrete, but very strong, with no need to drill/mount anything to the side of the trunk body as with other types. They also allow you to remove the retaing strap on the left of the trunk, as their mounts provide stops for the lid.

Let me know if you want me to post some pics.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #5 of 15 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 5:33 pm

ZTechnics

We added the Z's this past feb and have logged 15K miles with them. Wife loves em, they look good when folded forward kinda retarded when folded back. Only draw back is having to remember to fold them back to open the trunk.
post #6 of 15 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 6:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneblett
I have the G&G armrests. They're excellent...
I, too, have the GG armrests, and I agree that they're excellent. You can see several photos of them on my website (www.seattleyates.com) in the section on LT add-on accessories.

One "safety" thing I should emphasize is that when you/your passenger uses armrests (any brand), be sure to tell her/him that they are only for use on long highway stretches, NOT for low speed/city riding. It is important that in case of a get-off, your passenger not be RESTRAINED by the armrests.
post #7 of 15 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 6:45 pm
Prodigal Son

Try Don Muddimans
http://pulsefl.0catch.com/k1200lt/armrest.htm

ed early
Life is a Blind Curve , Just Ride It, Low and Inside
'00' Canyon Red
post #8 of 15 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 11:05 pm

armrest

we have the GG and my Bride loves them ,and I loved the install and the quality, plus they look like they belong on a LT.
post #9 of 15 Old Oct 4th, 2005, 1:08 am Thread Starter

Thanks for all of your replies. This will definately get us going in the right direction. Of course my wife gets final say as she'll be the one using them. I just get to mount them, wash them, polish them and maintain them, heh. The more I think about it the NJ riding season is winding down and I just might save the arrmrests for a snowbound winter project. Beats standing in the garage and sighing. Tough time of the year to buy a bike.
So again, thanks for the suggestions.
Ed
post #10 of 15 Old Oct 4th, 2005, 6:23 am

Don Muddimans

I second Don Muddimans. He is a member of the group and puts out a quality product at a reasonable price. I have had his and the GG's. I prefer his for a couple reasons, quality is better and you can easily remove them when not in use. His install instructions are the best I have ever seen and you can view them on his web site before the purchase.

HTH

Ron
post #11 of 15 Old May 9th, 2007, 12:41 pm

gg armrests where to get them

Anyone know a website where I can buy GGs.

steve
post #12 of 15 Old May 9th, 2007, 2:27 pm

The GG's look awfully nice. I would love to find out how complicated the install is prior to purchase.

Does anyone have the install instructions in digital form?

'06 K1200LT Ocean Blue Metallic
'06 GL1800 Candy Black Cherry
Recovering Harley Rider

42° 41.663' N / 73° 38.651' W

post #13 of 15 Old May 9th, 2007, 2:31 pm

ZTechnik Armrests

I have the ZTechnik armrests on mine and I wish I had gotten something else. When folded back they are right in the middle of my mirrors and when folded forward you can't open the top case so I am constantly moving them.

Bruce

Bruce Buchner
2017 R1200RT Platinum Bronze Metallic
2012 R1200RT Fluid Grey Metallic (Little Girl) Traded on the 2017 RT
2007 K1200LT Storm Grey Metallic (Big Girl) Traded on the 2017 RT
2001 325XI 4dr Sold
1967 2000CS Coupe (Left it in Germany)
post #14 of 15 Old May 10th, 2007, 12:37 pm

I would also recommend Donīs armrests http://www.eagle-i.us/armrest.htm

They are well made, look good, easy to fit and you donīt have to drill any holes in the topcase.

Owner/dealer as well, so great service.
post #15 of 15 Old May 10th, 2007, 1:11 pm

Thumbs up I third

dons product http://www.eagle-i.us/ they were easy to install and on our trip to CCR last year My SO was very comfortable with them. And felt very secure.

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in