LT Rear brake wear & Mileage drop - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Jan 11th, 2009, 5:10 pm Thread Starter

Garage
LT Rear brake wear & Mileage drop

Not sure if these two symptoms are related, but looking for suggestions. How would you explain this history:

First set of rear brake pads lasted 24k miles. MPG was averaging 43.

Replaced rear rotor with new style (per service bulletin) because of brake squeal at 24k. Not sure if they replaced the pads as part of this job, but I put new rear pads on about 3k later. MPG in the upper 30s.

Replaced rear pads at 33K (6k later). Mileage continuing to drop.

Replaced rear pads at 36k service. Also switched to synthetic oil. MPG now in the low 30s.

I hear a little brake rub if I spin the rear wheel, but not sure if this is normal on an LT. Is there any history of reduced pad life with the new style rotor, or has BMW changed the compound on their pads?

Thanks for any ideas, since I'll probably have to tell the dealer what to look for if I have any hope of them finding the problem.

Alan
Garden Grove, CA

'07 K1200LT Biaritz Blue (97k miles)
'08 K1200LT Biaritz Blue (76k miles and climbing)

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well - that comes from poor judgment." -A.A. Milne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Jan 11th, 2009, 6:06 pm

Re: LT Rear brake wear & Mileage drop

I would clean the calipers with a good brake cleaner, even to the point of taking the calipers off the rotor and spraying liberally. check your fluid level once it is all back together and top off if needed. Also mileage suffers in colder weather vs summer...
post #3 of 14 Old Jan 12th, 2009, 6:07 am
cws

Garage

My theory...
because it don't squeal no more, you're riding faster and revving harder, and therefore braking harder, ie, getting much more enjoyment from the LT in "sport" mode...
You running out tyres quicker, too????

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #4 of 14 Old Jan 12th, 2009, 9:06 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The only way I run in the low 30's is when I spend an entire tank in the twisties at 6-7,000 rpm. I would look at the O2 sensor as the cause of the low mileage. If your rear brake was dragging enough to cause that change in mileage it would be blue and you would smell it.

Now having said that I do not have an explanation for the low mileage on the brake pads. 3K is way to low.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #5 of 14 Old Jan 12th, 2009, 9:56 am

3K is way to low for brake pads. My 05 is close to 50K with original pads, and a fair amount of pad left.

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL
post #6 of 14 Old Jan 12th, 2009, 10:05 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

I agree that 3K on rear pads is very low. I get about 15K on my rear pulling a trailer, and just replaced the front for the first time at 51K . How does the rotor look? Any blueing or warping? The caliper pistons could be hanging up .

Stevie Shreeve
post #7 of 14 Old Jan 12th, 2009, 10:24 am

This may be way out there - but - several years ago I had the dreaded 'cow bell'. After a complaining to the dealer and getting him to work on it, he said the rotor was replaced under warranty. I did note that there was no more 'cow bell' sound during my ride home.

When I arrived home, I found I could not push my bike rearward. I mean - it was like the brakes were on. After a brief bit of investigating, I found that the dealer had in fact - not replaced the rear rotor - he had merely bent the retainer holding the pads in such a way that it held the rear pads tightly against the rotor thus eliminating the noise -but causing a bigger problem. The rotor was discolored, but not badly. I straighted the retainer back out so I could move my bike. Cow bell was back.

Had I not checked I would have eaten up a set of rear pads in a big hurry and severely ruined my MGG's.

So - check your rear brake pad retainer.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #8 of 14 Old Jan 15th, 2009, 1:28 am Thread Starter

Garage

Thanks for the input. I think I'll run another 1000 miles or so, check the pads and see what kind of mileage I get. Then I'll go have a conversation with the dealer. I'll also check to see if the brake rubbing noise on the bikes at the dealer is noticably different than mine. Hopefully it will be a warranty issue, and if it's a really good day they'll credit me for two sets of pads I shouldn't have needed.

A few specific responses:

Clean the calipers - done that, although maybe a more thorough cleaning is worth a shot

Weather - wouldn't account for that big of a mileage difference even when I lived in Ohio, definitely not now in Southern California

Riding faster, reving higher, high RPM in the twisties - love the theory, wish that was the case! Way too many California freeway miles in my case. The tire wear hasn't changed.

O2 sensor - It's given me grief and been replaced before, although for different symptoms. Probably worth checking again.

Rotor wear - It's not blue, but it may be a little warped based on how the brake noise varies as it rotates. I think there is more wear on the rotor than I would expect for being replaced 12k ago, but not sure.

I'll let you know when I get it figured out.

Alan
Garden Grove, CA

'07 K1200LT Biaritz Blue (97k miles)
'08 K1200LT Biaritz Blue (76k miles and climbing)

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well - that comes from poor judgment." -A.A. Milne

post #9 of 14 Old Jan 20th, 2009, 6:12 am
cws

Garage
Re: LT Rear brake wear

I hate it when a thread comes back to bite me.....

I had the new rear 5-point rotor put on just after my 40,000km service, late June 2008. My service reports indicates the rear pads were checked and ticked as OK at that time.
I've put about 6000km on since, and now out of warranty.
I did check the rear pads about 2-3 months ago, still seemed like they had reasonable wear left.

Had a strange feel from the bike last 2 days, like something was amiss.... but couldn't put my finger on it, despite looking the bike over.
Pulled in for petrol on way home tonight, and smelled a metallic burning smell... sure enough checked the rear rotor and there are score marks (more like a metal build-up) on the outer side only... the inner side of the rotor looks OK.

Guess I'll be begging for mercy from the local dealer early in the morning, .....again (not where it normally gets serviced)!

Hopefully they can machine the rotor and save it....

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #10 of 14 Old Jan 20th, 2009, 12:35 pm

I went through this a couple of years ago. I assume you don't misuse or ride the rear brake so the possibly warped rotor or caliper lead the list. Mine was a sticky caliper. I was wearing out rear pads so fast a member at the Yahoo site rudely suggested I didn't know how to ride. An early clue on mine was the smell of hot brakes after relatively gentle riding. Toward the end the rotor began to blue. Either a warped rotor or sticky caliper are going to affect wear. You may need to deal with both at this point, my rotor was damaged by the excessive heat the caliper caused.
post #11 of 14 Old Jan 20th, 2009, 5:36 pm
cws

Garage

not looking good... waiting on confirmation from dealer whether they can save the rotor using a wire-wheel to remove the molten metal.... I may have to fork out for a new rotor... if they have any in stock.

Turns out my normal dealer didn't put new pads in when they installed the rotor 6 months/6,000km ago. False economy which is likely to cost me in the end.

Oh well, shit happens.

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #12 of 14 Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 6:12 am
cws

Garage
Re: LT Rear brake wear

update... service guys managed to save the rotor, cleaned up the metal buildup with a wire wheel and a sander and thought it was good enough job to keep it running. Will have to keep a closer eye on the wear of the new pads though. Repairs, new pads f&r, and a new rear tyre Au$823.
ouch.

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #13 of 14 Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 6:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
Turns out my normal dealer didn't put new pads in when they installed the rotor 6 months/6,000km ago.
A normal dealer would not reinstall used pads on a new rotor; similar to reinstalling used bearing on a new crankshaft. I'd find a new dealer.

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #14 of 14 Old Nov 8th, 2009, 12:15 pm

I haven't posted in a long while but just had the dreaded "rear end failure". Mine started with a rear brake problem and escalated in the REF. I had a bad rear rotor replaced at 86000mi. by my pinnacle warranty, finally good for something. New pads also, no more cowbell or squeal from the rear brake either. Drove 2000 miles no problems then my neighbor knocks the bike over backing out of her driveway and it isn't picked up for three hours when someone finally tells me what happened. Was in the side yard laying on right side knocked from left off kickstand side. Took two strong men to pick it up out of the dirt. Busted mirrors, scratched panels other cosmetic damage but nothing but mirrors outright broken.

Went to dealer and got a 3000.00 estimate for damages. They said that it being on it's side for such a long spell shouldn't hurt anything. Well, rode another 2000 miles as I was waiting to get money from insurance to fix it and took it to Daytona for Biketoberfest. All went well for 600 miles of riding. Day after I got back had to drive back up to Orlando to catch a flight to Idaho to visit family. The bike stayed in a garage with friends till I got back. Once back home from Idaho, one week ago now, I drove it back to Ft Myers and while on a stop in Sarasota at a friends I noticed the brake was making a dragging noise, burned finger and decided to let cool while I visited. I got to thinking maybe someting wasn't right with the new rotor and once cool went and ran my fingers around it and snagged one on something sharp. I thought it was occullions possibily in the casting and one had warpped up and bite me. Called the shop 100 miles away yet and told them I was coming to have it checked and they said they would try and get to me but... so last second I changed my mind and just went home to unload all my stuff first, by then there was no time left to get to the shop and it cool so... called and said I'de be in Tuesday when they opened again. I also noticed fluid on my wheel presumably from the brake thought. Now my centerstand works intermittantly, been replace twice, and so I couldn't get it up there to spin the wheel around. It takes 2 people to get it on the centerstand without it working, didn't have an extra man.
Looked like the pad on the inside was thinner. and was touching maybe. Monday nite I drove over to Ft. Myers to my gal friend to show her trip pics and borrow my laptop.
Around 11:30pm decided to drive home but I had felt a funny feeling in the rear end when I had turned into her street. Her son was there so I had him help me put it on the centerstand and have a look see with a flashlite. It was touching on one spot on the rotor confirming in the dark to me it was the rotor and the occlusions in the casting I felt, the wheel had no side play or up and down as in a REF. So I took off for home and the thing started making a heck of a racket. I turned around went back and stayed the nite. I figured maybe a dreaded rear end failure was on the horizon. I made it the 4 miles to the shop next morning with the darn thing making the most horrible sounds you can imagine. Told them what I thought and proceded to hang around until they could have a coursery look see and confirm my suspicions. Well Once on the lift and rear wheel removed you could see the bearing retainer had forced its way to the left moving against the inner pad and smoking most of it. A slight touch and it all fell out to reveal a really messed up final drive bearing. I have photos but can't remember how to post them here. I will say she got me to the shop and as my ONLY transportation it's been hell without her this past week. Tuesday this week they will delve into it but....and always a but they said maybe the vent in the final drive got plugged when it was knocked over and sat there as long as it did. Any of you have any thought on that? I don't know where the vent is located, Anyone?
So... in answer to your question, look at where the rear wheel bearing is and see if it isn't backing out. My mileage didn't suffer. Down from 44 to 43 but I was going a lot faster and had a tailwind. Does the bike try to die and not Idle right? Had the Idle speed sensor replaced at 85000 mile Current failure at 91236mi. 2005 bike. Hope this helps.

Brian A. Brodhead
God created all men, Samuel Colt made them equal

2005 BMW K1200LT Goldie goodtime plastic fm rock'n roamer
1975 Triumph T160 750 restored "Heather" For Sale

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in