Vandalised Antenna - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old Jan 11th, 2009, 3:55 pm Thread Starter

Vandalised Antenna

One of my wonderful neighbours has snapped the top off my antenna. Part of the reason is the antenna tends to stick out and catch passers by.
Does anyone know of a short version of the antenna. Otherwise can the rod (long upright piece be bought seperately). Replacing with same will probably lead to a re-occurrence.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old Jan 11th, 2009, 4:03 pm

Re: Vandalised Antenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by axamax
One of my wonderful neighbours has snapped the top off my antenna. Part of the reason is the antenna tends to stick out and catch passers by.
Does anyone know of a short version of the antenna. Otherwise can the rod (long upright piece be bought seperately). Replacing with same will probably lead to a re-occurrence.
Sorry to hear of that. I despise scumbags who do that sort of thing.

Have you tried Motorworks for a second hand one? It is listed as a seperate part but I bet it will not be cheap. One good point though is that the connection will be better, so you could just unclip the aerial from its base when parked. A shorter aerial will be a mismatch to the radio impedance wise, so will not work so well.

Just pussin' through.
post #3 of 28 Old Jan 11th, 2009, 4:14 pm Thread Starter

I notice motorworks seem to be listing a replacement used one at £10. But if I just replace it and neighbours get pissed off they may do something else to bike. Can't be doing with removing it all the time. If a short one is fitted will I be able to use an FM modulator with good results?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 28 Old Jan 11th, 2009, 5:37 pm

Quote:
But if I just replace it and neighbours get pissed off they may do something else to bike.
Get a VERY large friend to inform your neighbors that he will be VERY pissed if anything happens to your bike. It may help if the friend appears to be mentally un-balanced
post #5 of 28 Old Jan 11th, 2009, 5:41 pm

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_12044UA...a.html?tp=3449

Pete Jessen
CCR 02, 03, 04, 08, 10
post #6 of 28 Old Jan 11th, 2009, 5:57 pm

Talking Re: Vandalised Antenna

I wonder if they have ever had their windshield wipers superglued?
post #7 of 28 Old Jan 11th, 2009, 6:24 pm

Quote:
I notice motorworks seem to be listing a replacement used one at £10. But if I just replace it and neighbours get pissed off they may do something else to bike. Can't be doing with removing it all the time. If a short one is fitted will I be able to use an FM modulator with good results?
It will only affect reception, not the modulator, assuming the modulator is hard wired inline. All I can say is suck it and see. With your new aerial, how about tying it back or putting a piece of hosepipe over it?

Just pussin' through.
post #8 of 28 Old Jan 11th, 2009, 6:40 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I would suggest wiring 110V (make that 220 since you are, UK, right?) to the antenna next time you park your LT. I'm guessing after a few hits your neighbor will leave it alone!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #9 of 28 Old Jan 11th, 2009, 8:04 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Talking Re: Vandalised Antenna

I used to have a neighbor's dog that pissed on my Yamaha. Then I put a rubber pad under the kick stand and hooked a weed-burner electric fence charger to the wheel. I was lucky enough to see the result. It only happened once.

post #10 of 28 Old Jan 11th, 2009, 8:54 pm

Part of the reason is the antenna tends to stick out and catch passers by.

Allrighty then!

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #11 of 28 Old Jan 11th, 2009, 8:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldan2
Forget the wipers...superglue in the door locks is a real B__ch!
post #12 of 28 Old Jan 11th, 2009, 10:57 pm

Question Re: Vandalised Antenna

Quote:
What am I missing here? Where are these passers by that they are getting caught? I want to avoid this situation in my neck of the woods. This is the first I have heard of this. Do you mean while it is parked or going down the road?

Diehly

Poke it through, tuck and roll
post #13 of 28 Old Jan 12th, 2009, 1:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwoolsey
I used to have a neighbor's dog that pissed on my Yamaha. Then I put a rubber pad under the kick stand and hooked a weed-burner electric fence charger to the wheel. I was lucky enough to see the result. It only happened once.
Not trying to hijack here, but I did the same thing to my neighbors dog, only I used 110 right out of the wall. Steven King would have paid big bucks for the sounds that dog made.
post #14 of 28 Old Jan 12th, 2009, 8:49 am

Shorter antenna will give you weaker reception - but you may not care, depends where you ride. Worth trying.

There are no impedance mismatch issues on a receiver; a coathanger works as well. You only worry about reflections (impedance mismatch) on a transmitter.

Just get anything that fits mechanically.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

post #15 of 28 Old Jan 12th, 2009, 9:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldan2
Now that's a good one!

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #16 of 28 Old Jan 12th, 2009, 12:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwalker
There are no impedance mismatch issues on a receiver; a coathanger works as well. You only worry about reflections (impedance mismatch) on a transmitter.
There may be no damage issues, but the impedance mismatch is WHY a shorter (mismatched) aerial will have poorer performance, ignoring the effective aperture issue.

Just pussin' through.
post #17 of 28 Old Jan 12th, 2009, 3:18 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehly
What am I missing here? Where are these passers by that they are getting caught? I want to avoid this situation in my neck of the woods. This is the first I have heard of this. Do you mean while it is parked or going down the road?

Bike is parked at about 60 degrees to the kerb, (back tyre against kerb) in a narrow street with a steep camber. Therefore the angle has to be chosen carefully. The bike needs to be parked tyre against the kerb. The Topcase and rear of the panniers overhangs the footpath (also narrow, about 4ft wide) and the antenna sticks out even further at approximately head height.

post #18 of 28 Old Jan 12th, 2009, 3:24 pm Thread Starter

like the idea about the windshield wipers.

post #19 of 28 Old Jan 12th, 2009, 3:41 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Here's a thought, why not swap the antenna to the other side? There is a CB antenna bracket that fits on the other side of the top case. You could use that base bracket but fit the standard radio antenna to it. Then the long antenna would hang out above the bike, not out over the sidewalk.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #20 of 28 Old Jan 12th, 2009, 4:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Here's a thought, why not swap the antenna to the other side? There is a CB antenna bracket that fits on the other side of the top case. You could use that base bracket but fit the standard radio antenna to it. Then the long antenna would hang out above the bike, not out over the sidewalk.
It is possible to cut and modify the standard bracket to fit the other side, but I think the angle of dangle might need altering too. I used mine for a comms aerial so the problem didn't arise.

Just pussin' through.
post #21 of 28 Old Jan 12th, 2009, 6:13 pm

Never looked into it myself when I had my LT but, is there a "Wing-like" antenna that folds down out of the way?
post #22 of 28 Old Jan 12th, 2009, 6:15 pm

Why not just bend it out of the way? Hook into the luggage rack, or remove it?

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #23 of 28 Old Jan 12th, 2009, 7:14 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I'm blind in one eye so I'm very conscience of things at eye level. I have a flag on the end of my antenna. If you have the rack you can do this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bike teardown 003.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	787.9 KB
ID:	21430   Click image for larger version

Name:	bike teardown 004.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	787.8 KB
ID:	21431   Click image for larger version

Name:	bike teardown 005.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	830.3 KB
ID:	21432  

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #24 of 28 Old Jan 12th, 2009, 8:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzirider
Never looked into it myself when I had my LT but, is there a "Wing-like" antenna that folds down out of the way?
This is a great idea! Would also make for easier bike covering. Anybody know of one?

Steve
Chandler, AZ
2000 BMW 1200LT

post #25 of 28 Old Jan 13th, 2009, 10:24 am

Quote:
Bike is parked at about 60 degrees to the kerb, (back tyre against kerb) in a narrow street with a steep camber. Therefore the angle has to be chosen carefully. The bike needs to be parked tyre against the kerb. The Topcase and rear of the panniers overhangs the footpath (also narrow, about 4ft wide) and the antenna sticks out even further at approximately head height.
NOW I get it!

I subscribe to the KISS principle - Keep It Simple Stupid.

Soooooo.... when you get off why not attach a small string to near the top of the antenna - and somewhere on the opposite side of the bike - and temporarily bend it over to vertical? And if you're concerned about the luggage cases intruding into the footpath a small scrap of wood left on the street should take care of that issue by changing the "lean" angle when parked on the side stand.

Someone is going to get an eye poked out.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #26 of 28 Old Jan 13th, 2009, 3:35 pm Thread Starter

I tried tucking it into the rack but the antenna was starting to split at the bend. Might have a look at the CB bracket though. Also want to look into the crutchfield aerial.

post #27 of 28 Old Jan 13th, 2009, 8:07 pm

I used a quick disconnect like this one my Jeep...mainly for low parking garages. http://www.bellscb.com/products/ante...sconnect.htmon

I switched over to a different kind of mount that lays the antenna down at 90 Deg (in any one direction of your choice).

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #28 of 28 Old Jan 15th, 2009, 12:54 am

If you look in the Hall of Wisdom under Customization:
(m) Radio and Optional Extras you will find a sub heading of Antenna.

There are a couple of recommendations. The one I installed a couple of years ago was the one that Grif posted. The short flexible antenna. It has worked very well for me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in