Air and Oil. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jan 10th, 2009, 11:49 pm Thread Starter

Air and Oil.

Well...the weather outside is frightful,
so the bike maintanence becomes delightful
I just wanna get on and go...
Stop the snow, stop the snow, stop the snowwwww

Okay, as I work my way through the January checklist, it says the old stale fall and winter air in the tires needs to be exchanged for warmer spring air. Is there a date that this should occur? Is it related in anyway to ground hogs day or inauguration? Anyway to adjust pressures for the increased water vapor in the early spring air?

Also should I drain the BMW synthetic 5-30 and replace it with the much better Amsoil HD oil or stick with the semisynthetic lube goo? Is there a certain phosfauxrus percentage allowed in the additive packages? Is is SJ, PX or PBJ?

Just trying to get folks focusing on the spring weather just around the corner!! Soon...very soon....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jan 11th, 2009, 8:08 am

Re: Air and Oil.

I prefer depleting the old air and replacing with new at the Vernal equinox. If available, I would suggest using blue air; pink air has tended to cause me to lose some "sand in my pants." Some also have been using nitrogen; it's a more stable gas and is available at dealers that sell gasses (seriously).

I'm hung-up on synthetic oil; I use Amsoil 20W50 Advanced Synthetic Motorcycle Oil in the engine and 80W90 Gear Lube in the trans and rear drive.

Regards,
Curt

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #3 of 7 Old Jan 11th, 2009, 8:23 am

OK! I hate winter in the white Pacific Northwest too. 1/3 of our 90+ inches of snow has melted in the past four days.

Today I will spend time with "Loretta" (K12LT) in the ManCave and probably do some of the things you suggest.

Come on Spring!

v/r

AL

post #4 of 7 Old Jan 11th, 2009, 9:17 am

[QUOTE=

Also should I drain the BMW synthetic 5-30 and replace it with the much better Amsoil HD oil or stick with the semisynthetic lube goo? Is there a certain phosfauxrus percentage allowed in the additive packages? Is is SJ, PX or PBJ?

[/QUOTE]
Uh oh...... Here comes another "Oil Debate"

"You can tell more about a person by what he says about others than you can by what others say about him."
Leo Aikman

Remember folks, street lights timed for 35 mph are also timed for 70 mph. ~Jim Samuels

Current Love
2001 K1200LT Champagne (Roxy)

Previous loves...
2000 K1200LT Canyon Red (Suzie Q)
1986 Honda Interceptor Black (Weezy)
1999 K1200LT Graphite (Grey Goose)
post #5 of 7 Old Jan 11th, 2009, 9:33 am

Went over to shop yesterday................temps were just below freezing........breeze was almost balmy............The streets in town were still icy but the hi-ways were pretty clear............temptation won out over my weak self and broke it out of the barn..................about 15 miles north there started being patches of ice so I did not get to go too far, but it gave me a chance to check out some of the work I'd done...............got a lot of weird looks form cagers..............one HP gave me a thumbs up when I passed................?.........Like I said didn't get to go too far but it blew the cobs out any way....................
post #6 of 7 Old Jan 11th, 2009, 9:56 am

Palerider: You are a brave man. I would do the same but my 3/4 mile private road will not be clear of ice until April...May maybe.

Have a safe and enjoyable riding year. BTW..We love WY.

v/r

AL
post #7 of 7 Old Jan 11th, 2009, 5:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereman
Palerider: You are a brave man. I would do the same but my 3/4 mile private road will not be clear of ice until April...May maybe.

Have a safe and enjoyable riding year. BTW..We love WY.

v/r

AL
Al...............you and yours get this way.......well..........always some good ribbons to slide down..................give me a P.M. ...............thing about this area is that there is always something to test the imagination................Jim and Cyndy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in