Metal found in gearbox oil - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jan 14th, 2006, 6:22 pm Thread Starter

Question Metal found in gearbox oil

I have a 2005 K1200LT with 25,000 miles and just drained the transmission oil. After cleaning up the mess (I caught most of the oil in the drain pan), I noticed that a piece of metal was stuck to the drain plug magnet. It looks like part of a circlip--curved with a hole in one end. The piece measures about 1" long, about 1/8" wide, and about 1/16" thick. Placing the piece on a sheet of paper, I made an arc along the curve and continued with the arc to make a circle--it appears to have an outer diameter of "about" 1 and 5/8". I know this isn't very accurate but it gives me an idea of the size of the circlip--I don't know what else it could be.
Any suggestions/experience with gearbox problems, will be greatly appreciated.

Bill Sharpton
[email protected]
Lexington, SC
05 LT Ocean Blue Metallic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jan 14th, 2006, 7:09 pm

Sounds like major problems.I WOULD NOT ride it till I found out where this came from.I do know that lock rings like you discribed is used to hold transmission parts together.If it comes apart while riding the outcome could be tragic
post #3 of 7 Old Jan 14th, 2006, 7:25 pm

Bill,
Here's a drawing of a tranny, as you can see circlips are present as with most trannies.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp tranny.bmp (243.3 KB, 188 views)

post #4 of 7 Old Jan 14th, 2006, 11:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbsharp11
I have a 2005 K1200LT with 25,000 miles and just drained the transmission oil. After cleaning up the mess (I caught most of the oil in the drain pan), I noticed that a piece of metal was stuck to the drain plug magnet. It looks like part of a circlip--curved with a hole in one end. The piece measures about 1" long, about 1/8" wide, and about 1/16" thick. Placing the piece on a sheet of paper, I made an arc along the curve and continued with the arc to make a circle--it appears to have an outer diameter of "about" 1 and 5/8". I know this isn't very accurate but it gives me an idea of the size of the circlip--I don't know what else it could be.
Any suggestions/experience with gearbox problems, will be greatly appreciated.

Bill Sharpton
[email protected]
Lexington, SC
Take the piece, and the bike (trailered to be safe) to your dealer for a warranty tranny replacement! No way that is safe to ride now.

Don Arthur had a transmission frag on him in city street turn, and he dropped it when the transmission froze up tight.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #5 of 7 Old Jan 15th, 2006, 8:06 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. I will trailer the bike to my dealer. I had a bad experience with an engine locking up, but that was on a Honda 305 Super Hawk in 1968--I've been lucky since.

Bill Sharpton
[email protected]
Lexington, SC
post #6 of 7 Old Jan 15th, 2006, 8:18 am

Thanks heavens you saw that piece like you did. Your next ride could've been a doozie!
post #7 of 7 Old Jan 15th, 2006, 10:04 am

Yup. Trailer it to the dealer. Show him the debris. If all is well with it, shifts OK and no noise, it might be repairable. Do NOT ride it, it might lock up at any time and cause a lot more damage.

Good for you for catching it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in