bent handlebar? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jan 8th, 2009, 3:31 pm Thread Starter

bent handlebar?

I noticed that the left grip on my 1999 KLT looks lower than the right grip when the wheel is pointed straight ahead. I measured it and from the floor to the grip it is 2.5 inches lower than the same measurement for the right grip to the floor. Could the bar be bent upward on the right?
I getting ready to replace the heated grips (foam grip is deteriorating and left grip doesn't heat) so I'll have the handle bar covers off. Anything I should look for in there?

The bike took a very low speed dive some months back on the right side on the road edge leading to my rocky driveway. (funny, my GS never took a dive off that three inch drop road edge between pavement and rock/gravel)
I had two other folks help me pick the KLT up. One of the guys jerked up hard on the right hand grip and bar while lifting it. Could that have bent it or twisted it in the handle bar mount? The bike was on a downward incline so it was a pretty good heft to get the bike back on its wheels.
It drives fine but the left grip feels a little low relative to the right grip.

Richard
1999 K1200LT
Utopia, Hill Country, Texas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jan 8th, 2009, 8:40 pm

Re: bent handlebar?

Try measuring with the bike on the center stand instead of the side stand.

Just kidding...I feel your pain!
I'd bet that what you described was the culprit. Those bars don't seem all that sturdy hanging out there as far as they do.
post #3 of 7 Old Jan 8th, 2009, 9:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian
I noticed that the left grip on my 1999 KLT looks lower than the right grip when the wheel is pointed straight ahead. I measured it and from the floor to the grip it is 2.5 inches lower than the same measurement for the right grip to the floor. Could the bar be bent upward on the right?
I getting ready to replace the heated grips (foam grip is deteriorating and left grip doesn't heat) so I'll have the handle bar covers off. Anything I should look for in there?

The bike took a very low speed dive some months back on the right side on the road edge leading to my rocky driveway. (funny, my GS never took a dive off that three inch drop road edge between pavement and rock/gravel)
I had two other folks help me pick the KLT up. One of the guys jerked up hard on the right hand grip and bar while lifting it. Could that have bent it or twisted it in the handle bar mount? The bike was on a downward incline so it was a pretty good heft to get the bike back on its wheels.
It drives fine but the left grip feels a little low relative to the right grip.
Hi, Richard -

It definitely could be that the pressure put on the right handlebar during the lifting process, bent the bar, and/or twisted the bar at the clamp point under the fork bridge cover. Usually, if the clamping screws allowed the bar as much movement as you indicate, somethang shoulda happened to the handle bar trim/covers. They won't physically fit if the handlebar has been moved that far outta phase.

I'm guessing that you don't have a shop manual - so, I'll try to include an attachment that shows the procedure on how to adjust the handlebars (they're individually adjustable, btw). HTH
Attached Files
File Type: pdf scan0001.pdf (257.9 KB, 92 views)

post #4 of 7 Old Jan 9th, 2009, 5:07 am

When removing the 2 screws from underneath each plastic cover - note which hole the long bolt came out of. Put them back in their wrong hole and you will be looking at an expensive plastic replacement. Don't ask me how I know :-(

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old Jan 12th, 2009, 9:12 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. Though I'm not sure how a single bar could be "individually" adjusted - if you move the right side down doesn't the left side go down as well? the trim pieces fit fine. I'll double check the adjustment.
I was successful replacing the grips - though I had to fight with the little white lock block to get the grip connection wires out and the new grip wires back into the block again. What a pain.

Richard
1999 K1200LT
Utopia, Hill Country, Texas
post #6 of 7 Old Jan 13th, 2009, 11:24 pm

Hi!

I purchased wrecked LT. It had been falling down to left side. Mainly plastic damages. And all plastics were removed when I got it.

When I was installing tupperware, I found out that handlebar was bent. Not much, but I could not install plastic cover to leftside well.

There is no way to adjust handlebar in bike itself. If you try to do any tricks, you will get problems with plastic parts in some another place. They won't fit anymore perfectly.

So Utopian, if your handlebar is bent so much, then best choise is to buy another one. There are always some used ones also in eBay. What I did? I took my handlebar off, pressed it a littlebit with hydraulic jack from that point where it was bent and it straightened into right position. It is made of steel tube, so it is possible to adjust, if right tools are available.

Regards
Leiboshi
post #7 of 7 Old Jan 14th, 2009, 1:54 am

I recently hit a very big pot hole and the result was both bars were bent doen towards the tank. Every time I turned the bars the indicators were switched on by the tank bag. I was miles from anywhere so I er stood on the pegs and pulled up on the bars and now they are back in the right position ! Actualy better position than before.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in