Leak? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jan 7th, 2009, 9:03 pm Thread Starter

Exclamation Leak?

I have been monitoring a ever so slight leak. Nothing is hitting the floor but, I do notice that the area gets wet after a good cleaning with parts cleaner and a couple of hundred miles.

Here is what I am looking at, help if you can:

On the right underside of the bike on the center stand mount is the run down of a leak from someplace. Like I said, it is not hitting the ground, just making the center stand mount moist.

Clean looking fluid, could be gear oil but for sure is not motor oil.

Ideas please.

2003 Black
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
K1200LTC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Garmin 450
XM Radio
Video Camera Mount
Fender Mount Driving Lights
Autocom Super Pro AVi
Saddlebag LED Lights

Bakup Backrest
Grip Puppies
VStream Windscreen
Muth Mirrors
2008 Bushtec

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jan 7th, 2009, 9:36 pm

Re: Leak?

You gotta wipe off a bit and smell it. Usually gear oil has an unmistakable stench. Uhhh....it really stinks. If I wasn't sure, i would wipe off a bit and then pour out a drop or two of brake fluid and/or gear oil onto the workbench and compare the two to determine which one it is.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 6 Old Jan 7th, 2009, 9:58 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
You gotta wipe off a bit and smell it. Usually gear oil has an unmistakable stench. Uhhh....it really stinks. If I wasn't sure, i would wipe off a bit and then pour out a drop or two of brake fluid and/or gear oil onto the workbench and compare the two to determine which one it is.
I am going with the gear oil due to smell and feel of the two.

Well, what ya think?

2003 Black
K1200LTC

Garmin 450
XM Radio
Video Camera Mount
Autocom Super Pro AVi
Saddlebag LED Lights

Bakup Backrest
Grip Puppies
VStream Windscreen
Muth Mirrors
2008 Bushtec

post #4 of 6 Old Jan 8th, 2009, 1:49 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Right side - I would say rear tranny seal. Yeah, I know it has a boot but that is how I found mine. It was oozing out from the boot and the boot when wet with oil will not stay on the lip.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #5 of 6 Old Jan 13th, 2009, 8:15 am Thread Starter

Any other ideas from anyone! Funny, get so much feedback on a cup holder but a guy gets a small piss stain from his bike and nobody has any answers.
I have to do a 24K service and install a Bushtec hitch so I hope to find the location of the ever so small leak.

I just had the thought that maybe someone had similar dealings with their bikes and could narrow it down, guess not. But if by chance you do, and missed this the first time, please help out.

Thanks!

2003 Black
K1200LTC

Garmin 450
XM Radio
Video Camera Mount
Autocom Super Pro AVi
Saddlebag LED Lights

Bakup Backrest
Grip Puppies
VStream Windscreen
Muth Mirrors
2008 Bushtec

post #6 of 6 Old Jan 13th, 2009, 8:30 am

On my 2000 LT I always had a drop of oil (never determined if it was tranny or engine- I believe it was tranny) on the bottom of the engine/tranny at the seem between the two. Never enough to wet the floor or even goop up the skid pan much. I would occasionally wipe the hanging drop away but it would come back. Never was a real bother. The bike has upwards of 70K miles without a problem. If it's not actively dripping I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Matt
95 Honda Magna (sold)
97 R1100RT (sold)
00 LTc, Canyon Red "Tarkus" (sold)
01 F650GS (wifey's, sold)
01 Ducati S4 Monster "LittleOne"
04 R1150RT (turned to scrap)
99 R1100RT Tundra Green
Kalamazoo, MI
"Worry does not rob tomorrow of it's sorrow. It saps the strength of today."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in