Mini blind spot mirrors - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old Jan 7th, 2009, 6:17 pm Thread Starter

Question Mini blind spot mirrors

Looking for small blind spot mirrors that will stick on the OEM mirror so I can see my trailer better.
Ideas?

2003 Black
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
K1200LTC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Garmin 450
XM Radio
Video Camera Mount
Fender Mount Driving Lights
Autocom Super Pro AVi
Saddlebag LED Lights

Bakup Backrest
Grip Puppies
VStream Windscreen
Muth Mirrors
2008 Bushtec

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old Jan 7th, 2009, 6:47 pm

Re: Mini blind spot mirrors

This isn't attached to the existing mirrors.
Someone else can chime in on those options.

This is a Saeng Quick-Scan that attaches to the fairing.
Mine are attached on the little winglets on either side of the fairing,
above the mirrors.

http://www.saeng.com/product.php?id=253&category=61

Great lateral and rear visibility.
Highly adjustable.
Mounted them on my 2001 LT almost eight years ago.
I tow a Bushtec Quantum trailer.

Gary
post #3 of 24 Old Jan 7th, 2009, 7:08 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT_Pilot
This isn't attached to the existing mirrors.
Someone else can chime in on those options.

above the mirrors.

Great lateral and rear visibility.
Highly adjustable.
Mounted them on my 2001 LT almost eight years ago.
I tow a Bushtec Quantum trailer.

Gary
$85.00 Bucks?

2003 Black
K1200LTC

Garmin 450
XM Radio
Video Camera Mount
Fender Mount Driving Lights
Autocom Super Pro AVi
Saddlebag LED Lights

Bakup Backrest
Grip Puppies
VStream Windscreen
Muth Mirrors
2008 Bushtec

post #4 of 24 Old Jan 7th, 2009, 7:20 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I can see my trailer just fine in the stock mirrors but before I added the RS mirrors I installed these little wedge units to give me a wider view. I picked them up at Advance Auto Parts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mirror.JPG
Views:	1288
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	21372  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #5 of 24 Old Jan 7th, 2009, 7:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood
Looking for small blind spot mirrors that will stick on the OEM mirror so I can see my trailer better.
Ideas?
Go to Wal-Mart, or a large truck stop in your area, and see if you can find the small (2" dia.) stick on 'Blind Spot' mirrors that swivel 360*. They're canted/elevated slightly on one side and depending on how you swivel 'em (which you can do even after they're attached), will give you the view-check you're looking for. Ole Toad has been wearing a pair for about 7 or 8 years, and adjusted for a broader side view, I can see the south bound end of a passing-me cage when the north bound end has already passed me!! Love the thangs, and have 'em on my truck also. Cheryl won't lemme put 'em on her cage, or I'd stick 'em on in a heart beat.

BTW #1 - they don't obstruct the normal rearview mirror view-scope.

BTW #2 - if you can't find 'em, send me a PM with your snail mail addy and I'll send ya a set.
post #6 of 24 Old Jan 7th, 2009, 9:00 pm

To Hollywood: 85 bucks?

Yep.
I'm worth it and I'd do it, again.
Having tried those other round and rectangle stick-on mirrors,
no comparison on visibility and situational awareness.

Don't really care if anyone else uses them.
They asked for input; they got it.
What folks do with the info is up to them.
post #7 of 24 Old Jan 7th, 2009, 10:44 pm
Gold Supporter

You can get the small pivot type mirrors at Walgreens. I have bought several pairs there

Jim Davidson
2007 R1200RT
post #8 of 24 Old Jan 8th, 2009, 9:21 am

I was never comfortable with the stock mirrors on the LT.

I first added the stick-on, rectangular mirrors, which was a minor improvement, but worth about the 4 bucks I paid.

Then I switched to Muth mirrors, with the LED's embedded in the mirrors. Greater field of vision with these mirrors plus the added bonus of making turning more visible to cagers. Liked them a lot. About $220.00. A good upgrade, but pricey.

Still not entirely satisfied, I went with the Saeng mirrors, installed on the winglets, as suggested. The Best. Hands down. Cost me about a c note, and worth every penny. Absolute confidence in lane changing.

A fellow LT'er saw my Saeng set up and asked me to help with the install of the set he then bought. At my suggestion, he placed them on the windshield, about 1/3 from the top. I feel that that is the ideal placement, since the mirrors are closest to the eyes in that position. No looking down. My friend is very pleased with this set up. The Saeng mirrors are very well made and stand up over time.

I was considering using the mounting holes in the brake/clutch assemblies, and installing either RT or RS mirrors. I did not want to lose the opportunity to use these mounting points for GPS or satellite radio or radar detector or FRS/CB set up.

One man's experience.

Paul M. Feldman

2008 - R1200RT "Cino"
2005 - KLT - "Tipsy" (now "Toasty") RIP
2004 - Suzuki Burgman 650
1978 - GL 1000
1985 - GL 1200 20th Anniversary Edition
1976 - Honda 750A
1973 - Honda CB 360 - "Bone Shaker"
1966 - Suzuki S80 - "Old Smokey"
post #9 of 24 Old Jan 8th, 2009, 10:16 pm

Quote:
$85.00 Bucks?
Yeah, they are expensive but worth it. The optics are great and the design holds them solid at speed (well above legal limits in fact).
post #10 of 24 Old Jan 9th, 2009, 9:33 pm

+1 on what Dick said, except I'd go with the bigger version: 3.75" round stick-on mirrors, $2.00 at any truck stop; I've rarely seen them at any auto parts store. I've had these on every car or truck (and now m/c) for 25 years. They eliminate the blind spot, and at almost 4" in diameter yes, they take up a lot of the LT's stock mirror, but if you position them carefully (top left corner is my preferred spot) you can still use the stock mirror. Also, the bigger size makes things in the outer edges of the mirror (where things are most distorted) easier to see. I wouldn't ride/drive without them.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #11 of 24 Old Jan 9th, 2009, 10:53 pm

I've got the Saeng quick scans. Had them on my first LT and put them on my second LT. They do the job much better than anything I tried. They are worth the $$.

Randal Tebeau
Blairsville, GA
CMA National Evangelist SE Region
BMWMOA, AMA, ABATE
2006 K1200LT
1996 F650
post #12 of 24 Old Jan 10th, 2009, 1:03 am

Quote:
Ideas?

like this?

http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/bikem...air-p-399.html

Jim
IBA 31981

2005 BMW K1200LT
2006 HD FLHRCI
post #13 of 24 Old Feb 16th, 2009, 5:46 pm

I vote for the Saeng Mirrors, also. I have mine mounted on the non moveable winglet just above the regular mirrors. Getting ready to get my 4th LT, and that will be one of the first items I will add.

Having them low, they are right above the fixed mirrors, so that in one "quick scan" I can see both mirrors. A vehicle can have its nose right at your hips, and you see all of it in the quick scans.

Only down side...at night, you have to know where the position of the car is in the mirror (L - Center - R) to know how close the car is to you, and if it is safe to change lanes.

I have seen them mounted high on the windshield on an RT, and as mentioned in the other post. I like the low position so that both mirrors can be seen at once.

To each his own...but as mentioned, the optics are great and you get what you pay for.

John F
Cincinnati, OH
post #14 of 24 Old Feb 16th, 2009, 6:34 pm

There is a guy in our town that holds the patent on those con vexed mirrors that show bind spots. I wonder how many of those things have sold in this world?
post #15 of 24 Old Feb 16th, 2009, 8:02 pm

Or, you can get the Muth Signal Mirrors, which give a much wider field of view, and cut the blind spots, too.

Jim Taylor
Minneapolis
07 Black LT "Dancing Heart", 03 Quantum "Ice"
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)
post #16 of 24 Old Feb 16th, 2009, 9:19 pm
Gold Supporter

I have Saeng mirrors on my bike and use them all the time. Bought them 5 years ago and love them. I recommended them to a number of riders at CCR. Very practical

2005 - K1200 LT Blue
The best in life is yet to come!
post #17 of 24 Old Feb 17th, 2009, 2:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNF
I vote for the Saeng Mirrors, also. I have mine mounted on the non moveable winglet just above the regular mirrors. Getting ready to get my 4th LT, and that will be one of the first items I will add.

Having them low, they are right above the fixed mirrors, so that in one "quick scan" I can see both mirrors. A vehicle can have its nose right at your hips, and you see all of it in the quick scans.
Another vote here for Saeng. This is how mine are and I love them.

Mick
'00LT Canyon red "Miss Ruby"
'99 LT Basalt grey "Coyote"
post #18 of 24 Old Feb 17th, 2009, 2:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT_Pilot
above the mirrors.

Great lateral and rear visibility. Highly adjustable.
Me like very much . Hope that the shipping costs won't kill me
post #19 of 24 Old Feb 17th, 2009, 12:59 pm

i have used a variety of blind spot mirrors...

some were stick n go no adjustability... some were stick n adjust by rotating... but the ones im using now are perfect... stick n fully adjustable by pushing on the mirror... simple to get all the blind spots covered with these... they sell them at pep boys for 3 $ each...

j o
post #20 of 24 Old Feb 17th, 2009, 4:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
I can see my trailer just fine in the stock mirrors but before I added the RS mirrors I installed these little wedge units to give me a wider view. I picked them up at Advance Auto Parts.
I have these same little mirrors on my bike.
They work great.
They are cheap.
They don't take up too much space; if you locate them in an area of the stock mirror that is looking at the sidecases you won't lose any view area of the stock mirrors.

At first they seem somewhat disorienting due to distortion at the margins of the little mirrors. The trick is to look "into" them, and not "at" them. Once I figured this out they are great; essential for lane changes and other blind spot checks.
post #21 of 24 Old Feb 19th, 2009, 12:54 pm

I'm looking for pics of the Quick-Scans from guys who already have installed those mirrors on there bikes but since I don't won't to high-jack this topic I started another one : http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44529
post #22 of 24 Old Feb 21st, 2009, 3:20 am

Re the Saeng mirrors positioned on the winglets, donīt they vibrate slightly when moving at speed ?.
post #23 of 24 Old Feb 21st, 2009, 5:16 am

I was thinking the same thing, but the guys here don't mention it so .....

Here's a test about blind spot mirrors http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/product...5/mirrors.html

BEST BUY:

First I was rader charmed for by these:

They look better anyway

Last edited by WimLT; Feb 21st, 2009 at 5:49 am.
post #24 of 24 Old Feb 21st, 2009, 7:39 am

I have tried the bottom ones. They donīt fit on the LTīs mirrors without adapting them and they donīt give too good a vision.

I think I will stick with the RS mirrors, until I can actually see the Saeng ones.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in