[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old Jan 14th, 2006, 4:29 pm

ohlins what? Tires?

If its got tits or an engine you're gonna have trouble with it

05 Graphite K1200LT
post #3 of 28 Old Jan 14th, 2006, 4:30 pm

disregard...now I know they are shocks..

05 Graphite K1200LT

post #4 of 28 Old Jan 14th, 2006, 6:03 pm

They are not only "just shocks". They are the finest shocks one can mount to a motorcycle. Wilburs are a close second...at least for the LT anyway.
post #5 of 28 Old Jan 14th, 2006, 6:07 pm Thread Starter

Group Buy??

Just wondering if there would be enough interested riders out there to qualify for a group buy. Currently front/rear cost about $1250.

I had Ohlin's on my GT and it was a totally different animal compared to the stock shocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
They are not only "just shocks". They are the finest shocks one can mount to a motorcycle. Wilburs are a close second...at least for the LT anyway.
post #6 of 28 Old Jan 14th, 2006, 6:23 pm

I believe there has been successful group purchases in the past. Perhaps you should start a new thread throwing out the question. I would LOVE a set of Ohlins...or Wilburs. But the finances just ain't going to let this happen at the moment. That can change with one phone call though.
post #7 of 28 Old Jan 15th, 2006, 12:55 am

Cool

I would be interested in a group buy!!!

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 28 Old Jan 15th, 2006, 1:24 am

I would be intrested in group buy also.

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...holy $hit...what a ride"-Mavis Leyrer
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Stienbeck
08 CanAm Spyder "Fast Truck"(Wifes')
08 Kawasaki KLR 650 "Lil Dirt Truck"
05 K1200Lt "Lt Truck"
05 Piaggio X9 Reveloution "Lil Truck"

97 International 4700 "Big Truck"

AMA Life Member
BMWMOA

post #9 of 28 Old Jan 15th, 2006, 1:35 am
Super Moderator

I've had Ohlins on my 05 since about 3 weeks after I got it. The ones from my 02 LT went on it.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #10 of 28 Old Jan 15th, 2006, 11:39 pm

Thumbs up Ohlins

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
I've had Ohlins on my 05 since about 3 weeks after I got it. The ones from my 02 LT went on it.
Did the exact same thing on my 05 before I picked it up. Had the Ohlins taken off my old 03. Put the original OEM shocks, with less than 3000 miles on them, back on the 03. While they were off the dealer even offered to run them over to an Ohlins approved site to be rebuilt: inspected, new seals, tested and recharged. Even provided me with the readout documentation for the before and after comparison. The Ohlins from my 03 were a perfect match for the 05. It would have been hard to go back to stock. I have the 05 OEM shocks packed up and will do the same thing, if possible, on my next LT. If it's not possible I will pull the Ohlins anyway and put the 05 OEM shocks, with 18 miles on them, back on. I could easily rebuild and sell them. It will help to lower the Ohlins cost on my next ride. It's just another way to justify the expense of Ohlins.

May we never find the end of the road!

Perry Ridgway

oknplm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	graph.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	200.4 KB
ID:	1562   Click image for larger version

Name:	checklist.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	1563  
post #11 of 28 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 7:09 am

Joe,
Why do you consider Wilbers to be a close second and not as good as, or better than, Ohlins ?.
Just interested.
Simon
post #12 of 28 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 8:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMarshal
Just wondering if there would be enough interested riders out there to qualify for a group buy. Currently front/rear cost about $1250.

I had Ohlin's on my GT and it was a totally different animal compared to the stock shocks.
I'd be interested in getting in on the group buy--contact me at [email protected] with Ohlins in the message and I'll be in touch/give a real person my cell.
Thanks!
post #13 of 28 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 9:20 am

Group Ohlins buy

I'd be interested in a group buy too...

B

"Never enough garage space"

Actually live in San Diego. Can't figure out how to update it. Tried everything.

'14 Ducati Multistrada Gran Turismo
'14 Ducati 899 Panigale
post #14 of 28 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 10:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncharles
Joe,
Why do you consider Wilbers to be a close second and not as good as, or better than, Ohlins?
Mainly because I'm an idiot. I have fallen prey to public perception, I suppose. I have seen and heard of Íhlins shocks for so long, and on so many race bikes, that I perceive Íhlins to be the "better" choice. A lot of people on this forum have installed the Wilburs and really like them. The Wilburs do give you more control than the Íhlins do, and for a leetle less money, IIRC.
post #15 of 28 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 11:04 am

If there is enough interest in a group buy I can contact Andy at Onlineparts and see what kind of price that can be worked out.
Info: Andy did a group buy a few years ago, he is an ex-racer, motorcyclist and currently builds custom shocks - authorized Ohlins dealer and service center. Andy now carries multiple lines of springs, so he does not have to wait for Ohlins to spring your shocks for your weight and riding style.
Let me know........

Disclaimer: I have no interest in Onlineparts, just passing on information for personnel use.

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #16 of 28 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 11:59 am

Joe,
OK understand.
I think I will go for Wilbers this time (put Ohlins on my other bike) as the feedback from the company here in Europe has been excellent, answering my questions and doubts etc, instantaneously.
Group buyers: don't forget that ideally, each set of shocks should be set up for each individual bike, taking into account drivers and passengers weights and driving style etc, something that can't be done if buying several at the same time.
post #17 of 28 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 12:45 pm

Quote:
Group buyers: don't forget that ideally, each set of shocks should be set up for each individual bike, taking into account drivers and passengers weights and driving style etc, something that can't be done if buying several at the same time.
Yes It can, we did this on our last group buy.

John & Cathy
Northern CA

Posse #2

post #18 of 28 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 12:55 pm

Group Buy on Wilbers

There's currently a group buy on Wilber's going on at Advrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113848). Non-GS BMW's are covered as well (the LT is listed in the followup email). It looks to be very decent pricing. I was going to get Ohlins for my GS some time this spring, but I may go for these.

Last edited by UrsaMajor; Jan 16th, 2006 at 1:01 pm.
post #19 of 28 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 1:10 pm
Gold Supporter

Smile Ohlins shocks for 05 LT

I would be interested in a group purchase of these shocks for my 05 LT.

Terry
post #20 of 28 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 4:07 pm

John, you mean they will set up each individual set to each individual buyer ?.
If so, that is great service.
post #21 of 28 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 4:17 pm

Quote:
John, you mean they will set up each individual set to each individual buyer ?.
If so, that is great service.
Yes.

John & Cathy
Northern CA

Posse #2

post #22 of 28 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 4:26 pm

is it worth it?

Is it worth it to upgrade to these type of shocks for a not real aggessive rider? Say on a scale of 1-10, 1 being a Gold Wing Grandpa and 10 being Valentino Rossi, where do you notice/appreciate a $1200 difference? I'm about a 6.
post #23 of 28 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 11:59 pm

I'm with DaveD....everytime I try to do something when down south I just scrape the centerstand anyhow, and in Michigan theres nothing to do but hit potholes or go in a straight line hoping you don't hit a deer anyhow. Would new shocks on the flying brick make enough difference to be worth the big bucks for a cruising type rider?

Additionally...how much work is it to change them yourself, or how much does a dealer charge to switch them? I'd hate to put this much money into a farkle....please enlighten my dumb a##......

05 Graphite K1200LT
post #24 of 28 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 12:41 am

I'm interested in a group buy also.
post #25 of 28 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 7:40 am

With Wilburs I can take the front tire all the way to the edge and grind off the little dimples there. Not as comfortable to do on regular shocks.

Ralph
Located: Auckland, New Zealand...
but I left my biking heart along the Scenic Byways of America.....

"Come fill the cup that clears
Today of past regrets and future fears." ....Omar Khayyam
post #26 of 28 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 10:37 am

Changing the shocks is not that technical but it does take a lot of work and a few friends to help out. It's best to change the shocks out when doing a 12k service, since you'll need to remove the fuel tank.
Most shops will charge about 2 extra hours labor if you have it done with a 12k service.

John & Cathy
Northern CA

Posse #2

post #27 of 28 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 5:25 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Group Buy Looking Better

I will post a note into the other bike areas to see if they too would be interested in buying for their RT, GT, or whatever.

At this point there appears to be around 6 or so for the potential group buy.

Tim Hustead

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarider
Changing the shocks is not that technical but it does take a lot of work and a few friends to help out. It's best to change the shocks out when doing a 12k service, since you'll need to remove the fuel tank.
Most shops will charge about 2 extra hours labor if you have it done with a 12k service.
post #28 of 28 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 7:18 pm

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarider
Sorry John, It is not necessary to remove the Fuel Tank. I changed my front shock many a time with the fuel tank in place.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in