ABD modulator replacement - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jan 13th, 2006, 11:00 pm Thread Starter

ABD modulator replacement

It looks like I will be installing a new ABS control unit on my 2000 LT. I have the factory manual that lists all the steps, but is a little vague in places. Has anyone done this and have any suggestions? It looks like the biggest challenge will be purging the air out of the lines. There are a lot of high points to get the air out of. Maybe a power bleeder will be in order. Ah yes, another tool for the garage!

Thanks,

Chuck Swenson,
Sioux City, IA
2010 R1200RT Low with ESA2!
2005 LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jan 13th, 2006, 11:22 pm

Smile

The manual pretty much tells it like it is. A real pain in the butt. Just remember that brake fluid removes paint and respond accordingly. The number of brake lines on the unit gives you potential for many drips.

A pressure bleeder would be nice but it isn't that bad to do it the "old way."

Good Luck

Duane

Check the obvious first!
01 LT Champagne "The Starship"
73 Z1 Kawi
and 7 long gone
post #3 of 7 Old Jan 14th, 2006, 8:46 am

I've purged the ABS after I accidentally stripped out the gub screw assembly on the front caliper. Was doing my first bleed, didn't know how a gub screw assembly worked and BAM, stripped it by tightening to stop the bleed instead of backing off. I couldn't find one anywhere and was sitting in a restaurant in Houston all despondent, playing with the gub and a bleeder when I noticed they are threaded alike. You have to realize this was 2000, the bikes relatively new and the brakes had sat open for a week. So, following the manual, I bled it all, no problemo.

Now, let me tell you about the new power bleeder Sandar the mag got me for Christmas from Griot's garage this year. It attaches to your compressor, all you have to do it pull the trigger and pour brake fluid like a madman (I think, haven't used it yet). She's designated pourer when I do my bleed and I reckon she got tired of me pump, pump, pumping my old power bleeder.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old Jan 14th, 2006, 9:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
I've purged the ABS after I accidentally stripped out the gub screw assembly on the front caliper. Was doing my first bleed, didn't know how a gub screw assembly worked and BAM, stripped it by tightening to stop the bleed instead of backing off. I couldn't find one anywhere and was sitting in a restaurant in Houston all despondent, playing with the gub and a bleeder when I noticed they are threaded alike. You have to realize this was 2000, the bikes relatively new and the brakes had sat open for a week. So, following the manual, I bled it all, no problemo.

Now, let me tell you about the new power bleeder Sandar the mag got me for Christmas from Griot's garage this year. It attaches to your compressor, all you have to do it pull the trigger and pour brake fluid like a madman (I think, haven't used it yet). She's designated pourer when I do my bleed and I reckon she got tired of me pump, pump, pumping my old power bleeder.
Hey, Bud - wonder if Hank has one of them thangs?? He's bleeding Toad's entire brake system next week and installing braided steel lines throughout. Maybe we could have a tech session at Rhinewest and show Hank the finer points of power bleeding!!!

Sorry for the thread hi-jack.
post #5 of 7 Old Jan 14th, 2006, 5:24 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile

Hi Dick, tell us a little more about the braided steel brake lines. Are they custom made for "toad" or can you buy a set suitable for the K12.. Cheers
post #6 of 7 Old Jan 15th, 2006, 10:55 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Don't know about any one elses experience with braided steel brake lines but the ones I got for my MGB were a teflon tube covered by the steel braid. They came with a warning about tight bends and kinking. Never had a problem but never felt real good about them.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #7 of 7 Old Jan 15th, 2006, 3:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilton
Hi Dick, tell us a little more about the braided steel brake lines. Are they custom made for "toad" or can you buy a set suitable for the K12.. Cheers
Helloooo, Hilton - great to hear from ya. And gonna git to shake a hand in GA, I see!!! Super.

On the braided steel brake lines --- several folks have installed 'em on various BMW rides - some with ABS and some without. Folks from all around the US make up quite a bit of work for Hank. I don't know how many sets Hank has installed, butt he's very familiar with the product and the items are a reqular order item on their computer inventory site. They recommend Spiegler(sp?), have a demo harness to show and tell; and are also familiar with the product line that fits to the various BMW cage models, since their shop includes cage work (Hank, and Jim Adair, are the scoot wrenches and gurus).

As to whether they are 'custom made' for each application, or come as a ready-made kit, I dunno. When they quoted me the price (+/- $200), they scrolled thru the various lengths/application locations for the system and 'seemed' to put together the set. I didn't get a peek at the Spiegler ordering page, so I'm sorry I can't answer that question. BTW - Hank is not a hard-sale type of wrench, and I think if there wuz any qualms on his part about installing/using/safety issues of the products, Toad wouldn't be having 'em put on. Reason we're installing new ones is cuz the OEM lines sprung a pin-hole leak in the rear brake line, in a protected area of their run.

You might try a google search for Spiegler to learn more - hope you find the answers you need. Good luck, Hilton. Cya in about 7 months!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in