Do I Really Need A Torque Wrench For An Oil Change. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 Old Dec 18th, 2008, 8:16 pm Thread Starter

Do I Really Need A Torque Wrench For An Oil Change.

Well although my LT is away for the winter, I have purchased some oil filters and the filter wrench, Napa Gold filters. I was wondering if I really need a torque wrench to complete the task. I likely won't be doing this until next fall, but If I do need a torque wrench, I may as well start looking for one now. I have always done my own oil and filter changes on all the bikes I have owned, and have never had a problem. I had the dealer do my oil change and final drive fluids back in Oct. as it was still under warranty and I wanted everything checked out. I know that the BMW is a bit different and this site hs all the dope on how to do it. What do you all think???????
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 Old Dec 18th, 2008, 8:23 pm

Re: Do I Really Need A Torque Wrench For An Oil Change.

For an oil and filter change? Nope... Now...just be careful NOT to strip any bolts.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 56 Old Dec 18th, 2008, 8:28 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I did my oil change once without using a torque wrench and my final drive failed...................

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.

post #4 of 56 Old Dec 18th, 2008, 8:45 pm

I've done it myself a few times without the torque wrench, no problems. Since you've done stuff yourself on other bikes, you should be fine too.

Did you find the tutorial on this site on the oil change? It goes over the final drive, motor and tranny fluids. Very helpful and well done.

Just search in the technical articles section. I printed it out and keep it in a binder for quick reference. Some good tips in there that will save time and effort.

Have fun!

Steve
Chandler, AZ
2000 BMW 1200LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 56 Old Dec 18th, 2008, 8:52 pm

Guess or know.
post #6 of 56 Old Dec 18th, 2008, 8:54 pm

I can't even begin to count the number of oil changes I've done on LT's without a torque wrench. The cams? You betcha.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #7 of 56 Old Dec 18th, 2008, 9:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattler50
I did my oil change once without using a torque wrench and my final drive failed...................
How in the world are you connecting the two? That's kinda like saying you changed the spark plugs and got a flat tire......
Look, if the torque is low on the oil oil plug, it will leak, or worse fall out..... if it is over torqued, you run the risk of stripping the threads...... Use the new crush washer, tighten the bolt well. No need to get a three foot breaker bar, but give it more than Richard Simmons could.

"You can tell more about a person by what he says about others than you can by what others say about him."
Leo Aikman

Remember folks, street lights timed for 35 mph are also timed for 70 mph. ~Jim Samuels

Current Love
2001 K1200LT Champagne (Roxy)

Previous loves...
2000 K1200LT Canyon Red (Suzie Q)
1986 Honda Interceptor Black (Weezy)
1999 K1200LT Graphite (Grey Goose)
post #8 of 56 Old Dec 18th, 2008, 9:02 pm

In my opinion, torque wrench is important for three bolts holding the oil filter cover. It is so easy to overtorque and break those if you are not careful.
(been there, done that)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladiator99
Well although my LT is away for the winter, I have purchased some oil filters and the filter wrench, Napa Gold filters. I was wondering if I really need a torque wrench to complete the task. I likely won't be doing this until next fall, but If I do need a torque wrench, I may as well start looking for one now. I have always done my own oil and filter changes on all the bikes I have owned, and have never had a problem. I had the dealer do my oil change and final drive fluids back in Oct. as it was still under warranty and I wanted everything checked out. I know that the BMW is a bit different and this site hs all the dope on how to do it. What do you all think???????
Jim

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

post #9 of 56 Old Dec 18th, 2008, 9:07 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochinosucio
How in the world are you connecting the two? That's kinda like saying you changed the spark plugs and got a flat tire......
Funny you mentioned that, that's exactly what happened to me.

Still -
Just a dog without a bone ~...............

CCR '09 Great trip!, 2010 Miles of smiles, 2011 Can this possibly get better? 2012 a Superior trip!

2004 K1200LT - ZZ Trailer
1983 R100
BMWMOA #158807 Michiana BMW Club #122
post #10 of 56 Old Dec 18th, 2008, 9:11 pm

What's a Torque Wrench??
Just don't be Igor and crank things down. Easy does it.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #11 of 56 Old Dec 18th, 2008, 9:15 pm

No...

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #12 of 56 Old Dec 19th, 2008, 12:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKas
In my opinion, torque wrench is important for three bolts holding the oil filter cover. It is so easy to overtorque and break those if you are not careful.
(been there, done that)

+1 those little f-ers are touchy.

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #13 of 56 Old Dec 19th, 2008, 1:00 am

If you're worried about over torquing the filter cover bolts, use a 1/4" drive ratchet. You'd have to really WORK at it to break them with that. And if you are still worried, use a Snapon stubby 1/4" ratchet, no way you'll be able to break bolts with that.
post #14 of 56 Old Dec 19th, 2008, 6:44 am

The three small bolts that fastened the filter cover break very easily. I haven't done it but many people have broken those off. Dave Shealey even had some upgraded bolts at one time to reduce the risk of this. You'll need the torque wrench for many other things on the bike so you might as well find one now. The filter cover bolts are way down around 10 N-m so you'll need a small torque wrench for those.

Good Luck,
Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->
post #15 of 56 Old Dec 19th, 2008, 7:13 am

I have never used a torque wrench for changing the oil. Other things, Yes!
post #16 of 56 Old Dec 19th, 2008, 7:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochinosucio
Look, if the torque is low on the oil oil plug, it will leak, or worse fall out..... if it is over torqued, you run the risk of stripping the threads...... Use the new crush washer, tighten the bolt well. No need to get a three foot breaker bar, but give it more than Richard Simmons could.

I laughed out loud at rattler's post before I read this one. Did you really think he was serious?! It was a good, funny post. Yeah I forget to post the wink and it gets me in trouble with folks who read my posts as being serious when they are tongue in cheek.

All the fasteners in the oil change process are "non-critical" fasteners. You don't have to torque them. BUT... if you are not experienced at twisting nuts and bolts on these bikes, it can be surprising how little force is required. Many people have over tightened these bolts and stripped the threads in the aluminum engine casing or broken a bolt.

Experienced wrenches won't bother with a torque wrench to put the oil filter cover back on.

And, with a cheap torque wrench, or one set badly, or one that isn't the proper range for the light forces involved, you could easily strip or break those bolts while using a torque wrench.

Easy does it.
post #17 of 56 Old Dec 19th, 2008, 7:51 am

And, with a cheap torque wrench, or one set badly, or one that isn't the proper range for the light forces involved, you could easily strip or break those bolts while using a torque wrench.

Easy does it.[/QUOTE]

+1 I just tossed a SEARS DIGITATORQUE that read high. The numbers in the window disappeared and Sears charged $30 to tell me it couldn't be fixed.
post #18 of 56 Old Dec 19th, 2008, 8:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by beets

Easy does it.
+1 I just tossed a SEARS DIGITATORQUE that read high. The numbers in the window disappeared and Sears charged $30 to tell me it couldn't be fixed.[/QUOTE]

Two words... Snap On

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #19 of 56 Old Dec 19th, 2008, 8:27 am

Two words... Snap On [/QUOTE]

2 more words... Bending Beam-always in calibration.
post #20 of 56 Old Dec 19th, 2008, 9:07 am

If you are the type that thinks you have to tighten every nut and bolt down till it smokes them back off a half turn you need a torque wrench. If you have experience installing hard metal bolts of all sizes into aluminum threads probably will not need a torque wrench.

Sonny
post #21 of 56 Old Dec 19th, 2008, 10:09 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattler50
Let that be a lesson to you!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #22 of 56 Old Dec 19th, 2008, 10:22 am
Lifetime Supporter

Thumbs up Re: Do I Really Need A Torque Wrench For An Oil Change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladiator99
Jim
Yes, yes, and yes and you need two wrenches. ft lbs /inche/MM Why take the chance and GUESS! It will get expensive.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how will you find the time (and money) to do it again.

Common sense, in my opinion.

We all have an opinion and this is mine. And I'm sticking to it.

By the way, I'd be interested in attending a brake bleeding tech session on an '03 LT somewhere north of Kansas City. Just saying!

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #23 of 56 Old Dec 19th, 2008, 10:24 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beets
Two words... Snap On
2 more words... Bending Beam-always in calibration.[/QUOTE]

Agree. However, for something like a drain plug, it is very hard to read a bend beam style torque wrench. I use my bending beam when I can, but do like the click style and if they are a high quality brand they tend to hold calibration reasonably well as shown here:

http://home.jtan.com/~joe/KIAT/kiat_3.htm

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #24 of 56 Old Dec 19th, 2008, 10:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by azredline
I've done it myself a few times without the torque wrench, no problems. Since you've done stuff yourself on other bikes, you should be fine too.

Did you find the tutorial on this site on the oil change? It goes over the final drive, motor and tranny fluids. Very helpful and well done.

Just search in the technical articles section. I printed it out and keep it in a binder for quick reference. Some good tips in there that will save time and effort.

Have fun!
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I have a question regarding the oil change tutorial.

I searched the technical articles as directed and found this: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/articles...rticle&artid=4.

It says it's for a 2005 LT. How different is the 05 from the 04LT? Can I use this tutorial for my 04? Is there another tutorial for the 04?

I'm going to attempt my first fluid change soon and would like to be armed with proper knowledge.

Ray "Razman"

2004 BMW K1200LTE - Rosie (As in Whole Lotta Rosie)
1996 HD Sportster XLH883 Hugger (sold)
1986 Honda Interceptor VF500F (sold)

Your chosen perspective changes everything. - Unknown Author

"You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit." - Aristotle; 384-322 BC, Greek Philosopher and Scientist
post #25 of 56 Old Dec 19th, 2008, 11:01 am

Well...I don't know about the differences in an '04 and an '05, but before you do an oil change on a BMW you better go buy THREE very high quality torque wrenches and have them calibrated before every change.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #26 of 56 Old Dec 19th, 2008, 11:15 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by razman10
It says it's for a 2005 LT. How different is the 05 from the 04LT? Can I use this tutorial for my 04? Is there another tutorial for the 04?

I'm going to attempt my first fluid change soon and would like to be armed with proper knowledge.
There is only the interference of the Hydraulic Center Stand Actuator style skid plate that is different. It is less work on the 04 since you don't have to remove the plate to get at the filter cover screws. Go for it.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #27 of 56 Old Dec 19th, 2008, 11:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
Well...I don't know about the differences in an '04 and an '05, but before you do an oil change on a BMW you better go buy THREE very high quality torque wrenches and have them calibrated before every change.

My mechanic has ten ( no kidding! ) All Snap On.
post #28 of 56 Old Dec 19th, 2008, 11:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernvernvern
Yes, yes, and yes and you need two wrenches. ft lbs /inche/MM Why take the chance and GUESS! It will get expensive.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how will you find the time (and money) to do it again.

Common sense, in my opinion.

We all have an opinion and this is mine. And I'm sticking to it.

By the way, I'd be interested in attending a brake bleeding tech session on an '03 LT somewhere north of Kansas City. Just saying!
Like I said.
post #29 of 56 Old Dec 19th, 2008, 11:41 am

All German Bolt Torque specs are "Guden-tight!"

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .
post #30 of 56 Old Dec 19th, 2008, 12:15 pm

I contend that trying to turn a bucket into a handle is like taxidermying a frog using a government.

-Marlboro Shulmountain.
post #31 of 56 Old Dec 19th, 2008, 1:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
What's a Torque Wrench??
Just don't be Igor and crank things down. Easy does it.
Remember crank down and stop one turn before it breaks.

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
2009 Honda Shadow (Wife's)
Blue & Pearl
"Well It’s not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldn’t of happened."
post #32 of 56 Old Dec 19th, 2008, 1:25 pm

I think I have at least 6!!!!!! Luv dem tools!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mljmd7

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #33 of 56 Old Dec 19th, 2008, 4:08 pm

Forget what everyone else has said and live by this logic.

If you think you need the tool and you can justify it to the wife then buy it. Make sure your wife knows that without it you could break something and then you really have some big expenses. I would maybe buy a 1\4" 3\8" and 1\2". Better to safe then sorry.

You most likely don't need it for the oil change but your forgetting the basics of Garage logic. The number one rule is never give up an opportunity to buy a tool.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.
post #34 of 56 Old Dec 19th, 2008, 5:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by razman10
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I have a question regarding the oil change tutorial.

I searched the technical articles as directed and found this: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/articles...rticle&artid=4.

I used the tutorial with great success on my 2000, so you should have no problems.

Steve
Chandler, AZ
2000 BMW 1200LT

post #35 of 56 Old Dec 19th, 2008, 5:59 pm

Snuck off to Foxwoods Casino - won a few hundred $'s play Holdem. Bought the torque wrench. SO never new.
post #36 of 56 Old Dec 19th, 2008, 6:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom1200

The number one rule is never give up an opportunity to buy a tool.
hear, hear
You just can't beat that kind of logic .

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #37 of 56 Old Dec 19th, 2008, 9:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom1200

If you think you need the tool and you can justify it to the wife then buy it. Make sure your wife knows that without it you could break something and then you really have some big expenses. I would maybe buy a 1\4" 3\8" and 1\2". Better to safe then sorry.

You most likely don't need it for the oil change but your forgetting the basics of Garage logic. The number one rule is never give up an opportunity to buy a tool.
That would make the number two rule "it is a lot easier to ask the wife's forgiveness than it is to get permission in the first place."
post #38 of 56 Old Dec 20th, 2008, 12:18 am

Quote:
That would make the number two rule "it is a lot easier to beg for the wife's forgiveness than it is to get permission in the first place."
OK, now it's correct.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #39 of 56 Old Dec 20th, 2008, 12:19 am

If you need a Torque Wrench to do an oil/filter change....you ARE NOT a Mechanic.

post #40 of 56 Old Dec 20th, 2008, 6:12 am
Lifetime Supporter

The only thing that outnumbers my torque wrenches is my Ease Outs and HeliCoil kits..................I'm the world's worst at twisting off bolts. I've become very adept at removing them at work. I've also learned that repeated insertion and removal of steel bolts into cast aluminum will weaken the threads. I can't imagine trying to drill out one of the cover bolts on the bottom of the motor on the LT. I twisted one out of the bell housing when I replaced the clutch. I won't do that again...........

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #41 of 56 Old Dec 20th, 2008, 8:26 am
Enjoy The Ride

I have 3 snap-on & two matco torque wrenches. One torqmeter type & 4 click type. Most click type torque wrenches instructions say do not loosen fasteners with this wrench. Its the snap you get on breakaway torque that can change the calibration.

Also you can use a beam or breakaway type torque wrench to check the calibration on your click type. A 12 point socket of same drive size hooked to both wrenches. Set click type at 1/2 it's range and watch the beam or dial when it clicks.

+1 on what pastor jack says: my snap-on & matco torque wrenches are up to 30 years old & have been checked yearly for calibration on a certified machine and have never been off.

I only use my torque wrench on the final drive oil change.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #42 of 56 Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 9:51 pm

does a doctor use a torque wrench with a scapula ,, turning wrenches takes a certain feal that comes with experience youll know when you get there but i do torque the cam towers and bearings,,
post #43 of 56 Old Apr 4th, 2010, 2:08 pm

Which brings up another point. If you use a tourqe wrench to thighten the oil filter to spec, it seems way too tight. I did this the last time and then read a thread about the filter not coming off. I am very nervous about the filter not coming off next time. I won't be doing that again.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...t=filter+stuck

If you wrench at all, you should have a tourqe wrench in your tool box. They are so cheap it makes no sense to guess. I have used both my NM and FT LB tourqe wrenches countless times on my bikes. I never wonder if something is going to fall or snap off while going down the road at 80MPH. Well i do a little
post #44 of 56 Old Apr 4th, 2010, 2:36 pm

For example,
Years ago on my Toyota mini truck I changed the leaf springs on the rear.
I did not torque the fastener nuts.
I thought they were plenty tight.
It did not take long for them to loosen off and consequently break the mounting bracket.

Today I torque most everything. It gives me peace of mind and satisfaction that it is done correctly.

Including wheel nuts on the car.

Eric von Laue

3Cyl Kawa ( a long time ago)
450 Yamaha Seca ( maybe it was a Maxim )
1100 Honda Magna
650 Honda XR ( to Guatemala and back)
1990 Honda PC800 ( Mountain Mama )
2000 BMW 1200LT ( Maxamillion )

Keep the rubber side down
post #45 of 56 Old Apr 4th, 2010, 9:27 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallygator
does a doctor use a torque wrench with a scapula ,, turning wrenches takes a certain feal that comes with experience youll know when you get there but i do torque the cam towers and bearings,,
I don't know about that, but the oral surgeon that installed my tooth implants used a cute little torque wrench to install the titanium implants in my jaw bone! There was little pain, but I have to admit that the ratcheting sound was really annoying as it resonated through my skull!!

And they cost even more than BMW tools!
http://restorative-products.salvin.c...l?parentId=332

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #46 of 56 Old Apr 5th, 2010, 11:30 am
Lifetime Supporter

I wouldn't torque the filter, spin until you feel the gasket contact the seat, and turn 1/2 turn farther. On the plate & plug, if you don't have a torque wrench, borrow one and use it the first time paying attention to the force you exert. On future changes, use touch, based on your prior experience.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #47 of 56 Old Apr 5th, 2010, 10:35 pm

Quote:

Your mechanic is a toolaholic; he must get the shakes without a regular walk through the Snap-On truck. Poor boy!

2011 CVO FLTRUSE
post #48 of 56 Old Mar 21st, 2013, 1:39 pm

Is there any practical way to check a torque wrench's accuracy? I bought an inexpensive one from Harbor Freight and I worry about whether it is really accurate or does the number just give you a false sense of confidence?
Bartman
post #49 of 56 Old Mar 21st, 2013, 2:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartman49
Is there any practical way to check a torque wrench's accuracy? I bought an inexpensive one from Harbor Freight and I worry about whether it is really accurate or does the number just give you a false sense of confidence?
Bartman

Yes but it requires some measuring and math. Find a weight equal to the setting you want. For example 50 lbs. Clamp the drive part of the wrench in a vise. Measure the distance from the center of the drive to some place convenient on the handle marked with tape and a pencil line. For example 12". Hang the 50 lb weight on a string tied to the mark on the handle and have the wrench horizontal with the floor when reading. If it is a dial type it should read close to 50 ft. lbs. If it is a click type you will have to play with it a bit to feel the click. Just do the math for other distances from the center and weights to calculate ft. lbs.

Hope this helps, Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #50 of 56 Old Mar 21st, 2013, 6:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartman49
Bartman
It is pretty easy to "mate" one torque wrench to another using an appropriate sized socket. I don't have any 'spensive torque wrenches, but I have a few: one 1/2 drive bar-deflection type, and a couple of "clickers", 3/8" and 1/4" drive. The clickers are probably chinese vended by Northern Tool or Harbor Freight.

Just 'cuz I'm curious, some time ago, I worked one against another. I was surprised that they were pretty close.

If you have a known, good quality wrench you could get a pretty good idea how accurate your H.F. wrench is by pitting against another more trusted torque wrench. This method is only as good as the wrench you are testing against, but is simpler than setting up weights and doing calculations.

The actual torque applied to a fastener is influenced by rust, grime, grit, galled threads, lubrication, and the application of the torquing force. If you stop and start the force application, you'll get a different end result than if you apply a steady, constant force until the desired setting on the torque wrench is achieved. I suspect these variables are a bigger factor than is the accuracy of my torque wrenches.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in