rear light bulbs - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jan 12th, 2006, 9:46 pm Thread Starter
Gene

rear light bulbs

Before I go and do something stupid, how do you get access to change the bulbs in for the rear lights? It's probably so simple I am just missing something.

Thank You

Gene
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jan 12th, 2006, 9:51 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Open your saddlebags. There is a bolt on each side that takes a 10 mm socket or open ended wrench. Remove the bolts and slide the taillight housing out.

When re-installing, make sure you don't pinch any wires.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy

Last edited by RaffyK; Jan 12th, 2006 at 9:52 pm. Reason: spelling
post #3 of 10 Old Jan 12th, 2006, 9:53 pm

Cool Easy peasy mate

G'day Gene

Open up your panniers, there is a bolt going into the side of the bike. Under these suckers on both sides and the tail light will then be easy to remove. There are a couple of aligning nipples on the top of the tail light which guide it into place when you replace it. The bolts (I found anyway ) were reasonably easy to relocate and retighten the tail light assembly.

HTH

Regards

Big Dog
'04 K1200LT
Ulysses #33984
Cogito Ergo Sum: I think, therefore I am.
What am I?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old Jan 12th, 2006, 10:01 pm Thread Starter
Gene

Thanks

Thanks guys. I don't think I would have ever figured that out. I was at the point of thinking about prying on the tail light assembly. Thanks again.

Gene
post #5 of 10 Old Jan 13th, 2006, 1:28 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaffyK
When re-installing, make sure you don't pinch any wires.
Be real careful about this. I spent a good part of the CCR tech session rewiring someone's LT after pinched brake wires caused the wiring harness to melt all the way up under the seat. To be fair, there were several additional lights connected, as well as a trailer wiring harness all shoved into a tiny space.

We managed to rig up some temporary tail and brake lights to get him home, but had to cut out several feet of the stock harness to get to wires good enough to splice to. A proper fix would have required a complete wiring harness for the bike. $$$

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 10 Old Jan 13th, 2006, 10:55 am

Rear Bulbs

Do NOT use an automotive bulb that "looks the same". The wattage may be different and melt the tail light housing. Make sure you get the correct wattage for both filiments. DAMHIK. Of course, when I had this SNAFU it was exacerbated by a failing brake light relay, which caused more "on time"....
post #7 of 10 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 5:48 am

The rest of the story;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Be real careful about this. I spent a good part of the CCR tech session rewiring someone's LT after pinched brake wires caused the wiring harness to melt all the way up under the seat.(

As I was standing around getting in Kenís way and being a general pest while he was trying to sort out the mess of the wiring bundle. We did indeed find set of brake light wires had been pinched the last time the light assembly was installed. This was the reason for the blown fuse to start with, but not the reason for the wiring bundle to melt.

As I was talking with the guy it seems on the way to Jackson he had blown the fuse. He replaced it and it blew again. Then someone suggested installing a larger amp fuse than call for, which apparently was tried. Witch resulted in a burnt up wiring bundle.

So the moral of the story, boyz and girlz, is if you blow a fuse and the replacement blows also, then chances are something is wrong. And unless you are some kind of electoral guru, or play one on TV, DO NOT put a larger amperage fuse in to see if it will do the job. That is unless you are really, really curious at to how much it cost to replace a wiring harness

Tom
1999, Sweetheart
I live in my own little world, but itís okay they know me here
post #8 of 10 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 5:54 pm

By the way, the 2005 doesn't use the same 10mm bolt to remove the taillight assembly as the earlier models--it uses a 5mm Allen wrench.

Larry Schumer
Salt Lake City, UT

2003 K1200LT (Black/Yellow) BigBee
Unigo Trailer (Black/Yellow) Stinger
post #9 of 10 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 10:54 pm

I have a 2005 and it takes a 10mm wrench.

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...holy $hit...what a ride"-Mavis Leyrer
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Stienbeck
08 CanAm Spyder "Fast Truck"(Wifes')
08 Kawasaki KLR 650 "Lil Dirt Truck"
05 K1200Lt "Lt Truck"
05 Piaggio X9 Reveloution "Lil Truck"

97 International 4700 "Big Truck"

AMA Life Member
BMWMOA

post #10 of 10 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 5:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey
I have a 2005 and it takes a 10mm wrench.

aaaaahhhh the 2005 models at it again.

bmw must have changed a few things in production again.
there is a few discrepencies with the 2005 model with things that have changed along the line, tools kits is one that pops to mind.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in