Abs Ring Removal - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Dec 5th, 2008, 2:08 pm Thread Starter
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
 
katnapinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Kyle, Texas, USA
Posts: 8,597
Abs Ring Removal

Dear BMW forum
I've been trying to remove the ABS sensor ring from the rear rotor of a LT with no luck. I've tried heating the rotor in the oven then drop ice on the center and pry off the ring. Still no luck. The local BMW dealer said they don't remove them just replace with a new rotor assembly. I have a EBC rotor to use so stock rotor will not help. Anyone have any advice on what to do next?
Signed confused in Austin

Stevie Shreeve
katnapinn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 Old Dec 5th, 2008, 2:42 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
DanMartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Fulshear, TX, USA
Posts: 2,082
Re: Abs Ring Removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
Dear BMW forum
I've been trying to remove the ABS sensor ring from the rear rotor of a LT with no luck. I've tried heating the rotor in the oven then drop ice on the center and pry off the ring. Still no luck. The local BMW dealer said they don't remove them just replace with a new rotor assembly. I have a EBC rotor to use so stock rotor will not help. Anyone have any advice on what to do next?
Signed confused in Austin
Try the reverse. Freeze the unit,use a torch to heat the ring and lever off.
Would a 3 jaw puller work?

dan
DanMartin is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old Dec 5th, 2008, 2:46 pm Thread Starter
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
 
katnapinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Kyle, Texas, USA
Posts: 8,597
Re: Abs Ring Removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMartin
Try the reverse. Freeze the unit,use a torch to heat the ring and lever off.
Would a 3 jaw puller work?

dan
I tried a 2 jaw puller with no love. I'll try to freeze rotor then heat rink.

Stevie Shreeve
katnapinn is offline  
 
post #4 of 6 Old Dec 5th, 2008, 8:17 pm
Senior Member
 
gbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Nevada, MO, USA
Posts: 461
Re: Abs Ring Removal

Hello Steve

I take it that you are installing an EBC rear rotor and trying to remove and place the ABS ring on the new disc assy. What I did is take a hack saw blade and split most of the ring that the ABS ring is pressed and loctite on to from inside two opposing holes ,then hit it with a heat gun to loosen the loctite and then pry off gently

Bob G
gbob is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old Dec 6th, 2008, 5:16 pm Thread Starter
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
 
katnapinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Kyle, Texas, USA
Posts: 8,597
Re: Abs Ring Removal UPDATE !!!!!

Well I figured it out and it was EASY first I drilled eight 1/8 inch holes all around the hub just inside the ring to relieve the pressure. After all the rotor was going into the trash anyway. Then using my large 2 jaw puller I worked my way around and it popped right off. Then just pressed the ring on the EBC rotor a voila. Hey Wolfy you got new brakes how

Stevie Shreeve
katnapinn is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old Dec 6th, 2008, 5:27 pm
Senior Member
 
Wolfgang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Budapest, Hungary
Posts: 2,269
Re: Abs Ring Removal UPDATE !!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
Well I figured it out and it was EASY first I drilled eight 1/8 inch holes all around the hub just inside the ring to relieve the pressure. After all the rotor was going into the trash anyway. Then using my large 2 jaw puller I worked my way around and it popped right off. Then just pressed the ring on the EBC rotor a voila. Hey Wolfy you got new brakes how
Now the secret is out that I am too old or too lazy (or both) to do my own work any longer... Thanks Stevie!!!!!

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue


Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

Wolfgang is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rear Rotor ABS Ring glenn K1200LT 0 Apr 24th, 2008 10:58 pm
ABS Removal Chockkicker K1200LT 1 Apr 8th, 2007 8:58 pm
BMW to introduce a "G" series motorcycle? eljeffe Bike Talk 24 Oct 10th, 2006 5:56 pm
New ABS System and Advanced Stability Control Details eljeffe Bike Talk 3 Jul 17th, 2006 1:58 am

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome