Speedometer Fix - Tomorrow - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Jan 11th, 2006, 9:54 pm Thread Starter

Speedometer Fix - Tomorrow

I'm going to try do the speedometer fix tomorrow. Have read Info by Vic Agresti and Randy Prade. Any one have any last minute tips. I almost feel like its over my head, but have a few days to do it, so I'm going for it.
Will post when I'm done or when I give up.

Jim Campbell
Grand Forks, ND
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Jan 11th, 2006, 10:26 pm

What year is your bike? The circuit board changed since that write up (unless your referring to Randy's 05 write up). You still jump the same, the board looks different.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 Old Jan 11th, 2006, 10:54 pm Thread Starter

Grif My bike is a 2000 K1200LTC.

Jim Campbell

post #4 of 23 Old Jan 12th, 2006, 2:30 am

You will need a low wattage, heat soldering iron; especially important to tin the wire you use; make sure the tip is clean, nice and shinny.

I need a lighted magnifying glass to just see SMT. My Bifocals just can't focus on SMT stuff.

If you have an old computer board, you can practices soldering on that.

Close proximity of other components make it more likely you'll melt their solder before you worry about lifting circuit board traces.

It's nice to be able to look at the speedo and know my speed is very close to the reading.

Bob
post #5 of 23 Old Jan 12th, 2006, 7:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb0lxx
I'm going to try do the speedometer fix tomorrow. Have read Info by Vic Agresti and Randy Prade. Any one have any last minute tips. I almost feel like its over my head, but have a few days to do it, so I'm going for it.
Will post when I'm done or when I give up.
Bob's tip on using a large magnifying glass is a good idea. I had to have my wife hold one for me while I did the soldering. The solder area is *tiny*, so unless you have great eyesight you'll need the glass. Outside of that, it's pretty straight forward, just time consuming but worth the effort. Mine is within 1/2 mph of my GPS.

Jinks ('86fxrs, '07 FLTR)

Remember, "No good deed goes unpunished"
post #6 of 23 Old Jan 12th, 2006, 7:42 am

Or, you can go to the drug store and get a pair of reading glasses for about $10. They make them up to 4X and you can slip them on over your bifocals. That way you can adjust your head position, instead of trying to move the glass to keep everything in focus. Been tying small flies this way for years. I will admit you look a little strange. But, it works much better than the magnifying glass.

Dan
New Hampshire
2002 K1200LTC
post #7 of 23 Old Jan 12th, 2006, 8:20 am

Quote:
Grif My bike is a 2000 K1200LTC.

Jim Campbell
Kewl, then it be straight up. Around 2003 they changed the board, which caused us a leetle confusion.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #8 of 23 Old Jan 12th, 2006, 12:58 pm

Question Speedo Fix

OK, I thought I had kept up on the speedo fixes. Now, I see something that makes me think that maybe I missed a couple of posts.

Is there or is there not, a fix for the 2005 Speedometer?

Triker

Longmont, CO
2005 LT Hannigan Trike
post #9 of 23 Old Jan 12th, 2006, 1:18 pm

Here is the thread on the 2005 Speedo Fix from the Hall of Wisdom:

http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...apsed&sb=5&o=7

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #10 of 23 Old Jan 12th, 2006, 2:40 pm Thread Starter

Do I need to disconect the battery?
Sides are off and getting ready to move radio unit back.

Jim Campbell
2000 K1200LTC
post #11 of 23 Old Jan 12th, 2006, 4:32 pm

I never have as you have to unplug the intrument assembly and put it on your bench to operate. I'd only disconnect if you tried to do it in place, which is smoothe insanity, but I kinda like that in a person.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #12 of 23 Old Jan 12th, 2006, 4:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BkrK12
Or, you can go to the drug store and get a pair of reading glasses for about $10. They make them up to 4X and you can slip them on over your bifocals. That way you can adjust your head position, instead of trying to move the glass to keep everything in focus. Been tying small flies this way for years. I will admit you look a little strange. But, it works much better than the magnifying glass.
Careful, your "down east" cheapskate, practicality is showin'........8^)

Good idea for doin' it single handed!

Jinks ('86fxrs, '07 FLTR)

Remember, "No good deed goes unpunished"
post #13 of 23 Old Jan 12th, 2006, 6:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BkrK12
Hey Dan, will that work when you're lying underneath your car and you can't focus 'cause the bifocals are pointing in the wrong direction, and you can't tilt your head 'cause every time you do, the *#@*& steering knuckle puts another dent in your bald head?(Just asking for a friend...)

Buck W.
San Diego
1999 K1200LT
Canyon Red

post #14 of 23 Old Jan 12th, 2006, 7:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
Hey Dan, will that work when you're lying underneath your car and you can't focus 'cause the bifocals are pointing in the wrong direction, and you can't tilt your head 'cause every time you do, the *#@*& steering knuckle puts another dent in your bald head?(Just asking for a friend...)
Buck, didn't I meet that friend once at your house? He is the person who lives right across the street from your cross the street neighbor, right?

I have the same problem as your friend, as I wear tri-focals. Seems there is always something keeping me from tilting my head just right.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #15 of 23 Old Jan 12th, 2006, 8:36 pm

Smile

With a ham user name you wont have any problem.

Spencer K5GAK
post #16 of 23 Old Jan 12th, 2006, 9:34 pm Thread Starter

All the plastic is off. Hope all the screws go back in the right place. Will leave battery conected as I'm going to take the speedo assy out and do it on the bench tomorrow. I'm a little uneasy about the speedo assy, but If I go slow should be OK. Will use 4X glasses from drug store.

Jim Campbell
post #17 of 23 Old Jan 12th, 2006, 9:54 pm

I can testify, with absolutely no fear of contradiction, that it works just as well as when you are under the kitchen sink trying to hold your glasses in some position that allows you to see while using both hands on the pipe and wrench.

Dan
New Hampshire
2002 K1200LTC
post #18 of 23 Old Jan 13th, 2006, 7:26 am

Quote:
All the plastic is off. Hope all the screws go back in the right place. Will leave battery conected as I'm going to take the speedo assy out and do it on the bench tomorrow. I'm a little uneasy about the speedo assy, but If I go slow should be OK. Will use 4X glasses from drug store.

Jim Campbell
Oh yeah, here's a caution here, when you remove the plastic face off the instrument cluster be very careful not to lose the two, small gray plunger plugs that operate the clock. They can be a bear to find.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #19 of 23 Old Jan 13th, 2006, 9:21 am

Just sacrifice your most treasured QSL card to the solder god, and you should be fine OT.

Bob
post #20 of 23 Old Jan 13th, 2006, 10:32 am

Speedo Fix

I have shaky hands and no great skill as a solder-er. So I lined up a guy with experience on circuit boardsto do it for me. Freakin' brilliant!
post #21 of 23 Old Jan 13th, 2006, 10:56 am

[QUOTE=dshealey]Buck, didn't I meet that friend once at your house? He is the person who lives right across the street from your cross the street neighbor, right? QUOTE]

Yeah! That's him, the good-looking one...

Buck W.
San Diego
1999 K1200LT
Canyon Red

post #22 of 23 Old Jan 13th, 2006, 5:28 pm Thread Starter

I'm done. Took speedo unit out of bike. Did the 2 jumber wires on the bench. Large o-ring came loose on one side. Ended up taking 0-ring off and set it into the white side where the o-ring grove is. Bike started and all lights work. The speedo works, but will not be able to check it until I ride it when the ice and snow is off the roads here in ND. Thanks everyone for your help. Now off to put all the plastic back on, hope I don't have any parts left over and I get the screws in the right place. Would I do it again? Was it worth it? I'm 50/50 now but may feel better about it this spring. I ended up with a strong feeling that BMW should do it right. As for BMW, my next project is the rear bearing (new 17). I need to change it for peice of mind. If I went on a trip and it went out I would come home on a wing. I like my K1200LT to much so the new bearing will keep me happy.

Jim Campbell
Grand Forks, ND
post #23 of 23 Old Jan 14th, 2006, 11:31 am Thread Starter

If you do the speedo mod. Follow the service manual step by step for plastic removal and install. I got ahead of my self. On page 46.20 of manual, it says to put masking tape on tabs to protect trim from being scratched. I didn't and scratched the trim.

Jim Campbell

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in