Replacement Mirror Housing - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jan 10th, 2006, 11:42 pm Thread Starter

Cool Replacement Mirror Housing

After a rough railroad crossing in Idaho I noticed that my left mirror was unstable and after checking found that the front pin was not holding. Duct tape got me home fine, but the price of a complete new mirror housing at $200 and the wastefullness of a complete replacement for a relatively minor problem is unsettling. I understand the plastic housing that accepts the three pins can be replaced and that there is a technique to removing the mirror from the base it is glued on to. Any advice would be much appreciated including a source for the plastic part.

Avonfloater
Washougal, WA
2002 K1200 LT
1982 Honda Sabre
1976 Honda 350-XL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jan 11th, 2006, 12:04 am

I repaired mine with ample amount of JB weld over a month ago and it is still holding.
Sonny
post #3 of 9 Old Jan 11th, 2006, 1:00 am

Replaced housing last spring, there is a trick to pop the mirror out with out breaking the inner part of the mirror that holds glass in place. But I did not learn how to do it and had to replace a inner piece of the mirror The housing part of the mirror is be about $75.00, and the part that holds the glass was under $10.00.

post #4 of 9 Old Jan 11th, 2006, 5:42 am

How bad is the damage?
can you put some photos up at all??

i broke my mirrors a month or two ago and used jb weld and zip ties to fix.

here is a thread about it

i have read the mirro costs a small furtune to replace, so if you can repair it with jb weld and zip ties, go for it.
from the research i did on it in the archives when i broke my mirror was that the knuckels on the bike that attach the mirror they need to had a little bit of grease to allow the metal springs on the mirror slide over them easily enough to lock in to place.mine were bone dry.no longer though.

if you go hunting thru the archives, you will find plenty of info on the subject
post #5 of 9 Old Jan 12th, 2006, 11:21 pm Thread Starter

Cool Avonfloater

Thanks for the feedback. The damage isn't that bad - the plastic housing that holds the wire keepers is slightly cracked so it lets the wire escape from its housing and thus not hold onto the pin. I'll try the JB weld fix suggested by others.
post #6 of 9 Old Jan 13th, 2006, 12:09 am

Make sure you use the correct technique to put the mirrows back on. I broke both of mine by poping them on then the dealer showed me how to leverage it on, way better! Be sure to grease the balls and springs. The dealer took pitty on me and gave me the new parts at 50% off.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #7 of 9 Old Jan 13th, 2006, 10:34 pm

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatson
Make sure you use the correct technique to put the mirrows back on. I broke both of mine by poping them on then the dealer showed me how to leverage it on, way better!

Whats the lever method??

i just pop them on with a firm whack from the palm of my hand.
post #8 of 9 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 1:00 pm Thread Starter

dmatson - can you describe the "correct technique" for mounting the mirrors?

Avonfloater
post #9 of 9 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 3:32 pm

The part you need to replace is called the "cap", I just did mine, $37 for black $72 for chrome, got the part #s from Max BMW parts fiche on line. ordered from my local dealer. The easy way to separate the mirror from the back plate is to push the back plate away from the mirror just enough to drip some rubbing alchol behind the mirror , this will debond the adhesive, you will have to keep pushing the back plate away from the mirror to separate it. It takes a few minutes , you will have add more alcohol as the mirror comes apart. Once the mirror is off the are 4 screws to separate the " Cap" from the painted body part.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in