Watch out Guys ! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Jan 10th, 2006, 10:15 pm Thread Starter

Exclamation Watch out Guys !

Now on my third set of tires. Just had the last set mounted three weeks ago. Sunday I just pulled into the garage after a 50mi. ride with my daughter. Got off the bike and turned around to take off my helmet and all of a sudden the rear valve stem blew out the whole metal insert for the valve core. I had thought the fine dealer had replaced the valve stems at every tire change. Lucky for the two of us it went when it did. Make damn sure they change them out every tire change. Took wheels back to dealer and told them what had happend. The stems would cost me four dollars and some change each. Bought two and had them redo both tires with the high dollar stems. It's just sad you have to watch these dealers like a hawk. Eight dollares and 20 seconds to replace them or someones life. Seems like a no brainer to me...........

Craig Hutchison
02 Pac Blue (Aka Blue Ox)
34° 14’ 12.63 N
119° 01’ 21.64 W

Why coast through Life when you can Corner it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Jan 10th, 2006, 10:35 pm

Doesn't suprise me at all. I changed mine to all metal stems before heading to CCR Grand Teton, because we went through particular thread on the .net site.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #3 of 22 Old Jan 10th, 2006, 10:48 pm

Question

Who was the dealer?

O. K. Upchurch III
Irvine, California

2016 R1200gs
2000 K1200LT (Best Bike #1)
1997 R1100RT (Best Bike #2)
1995 K1100LT
1990 K75RT

post #4 of 22 Old Jan 11th, 2006, 8:04 am

I had one come loose on the road but it didn't do anything but waste the rear tire. If it had blown like yours it would likely have been different. You certainly were lucky!
post #5 of 22 Old Jan 11th, 2006, 9:12 am

An often overlooked important piece of hardware. I always have them change my valve stems and now have gone to metal stems. Makes it easier to inflate the tires too.

Adversity builds character.

BMW MOA #: 115771
My rides: '01 K1200LT Black (of course)
'00 BMW 540i (also black)
'76 Toyota Landcruiser FJ40 (not black)
'06 Toyota Landcruiser (black again)
post #6 of 22 Old Jan 11th, 2006, 9:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomadman
..... and all of a sudden the rear valve stem blew out the whole metal insert for the valve core. ..........
Am I reading it wrong???? Replacing the inflation valve stem fixes NOTHING in this case. THE VALVE STEM DIDN'T FAIL - the core blew out; simple matter of the mechanic not properly screwing it in. A sloppy mech would have done the same EVEN with a new valve. Replace the mech.

Tom
post #7 of 22 Old Jan 11th, 2006, 10:06 am

I'm sure he was referring to the valve stem itself failing (the metal and rubber separating) and not just the screw-in core coming out. I had the same thing happen on my rear tire a couple of years back. I was very fortunate that I was checking the air in the tire when this happened and not on the road.

Certainly an inexpensive item but one of great importance for safety sake.

Randal Tebeau
Blairsville, GA
CMA National Evangelist SE Region
BMWMOA, AMA, ABATE
2006 K1200LT
1996 F650
post #8 of 22 Old Jan 11th, 2006, 3:12 pm

Cool

When I replaced my last set of tires, I went with metal stems from Orielly's auto parts. The amazing part is I haven't lost .5 psi to either tire since with 7K on the tires it is amazing

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

post #9 of 22 Old Jan 11th, 2006, 5:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPadden
Am I reading it wrong???? Replacing the inflation valve stem fixes NOTHING in this case. THE VALVE STEM DIDN'T FAIL - the core blew out; simple matter of the mechanic not properly screwing it in. A sloppy mech would have done the same EVEN with a new valve. Replace the mech.
yes you read it wrong, he said the metal insert blew out, that is the piece molded in the rubber stem.

while in Colorado after CCR I had a set of tires put on my wifes RT, they did not replace the valve stem, it seperated from the insert we were been running about 85 - 90 and her front tire went flat, she was lucky REAL DAMN LUCKY!

I was pissed! i mean seriously PISSED at them!
I was also pissed at myself for not telling them to replace the valve stem, being a mechanic and starting off in a tire shop many years ago, it is habit to replace stems every tire change. One time it wasn't done and it could have cost my wifes life!

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #10 of 22 Old Jan 11th, 2006, 6:51 pm

I had the same thing happen to me while at CCR in Breckenridge. Had to have the bike towed back to Breckenridge and wait 2 days for repairs. I had assumed, also wrongly, that the dealer replaced them when they change the tire. Not. They will from now on, as I'll make sure I request it.

Tim Frederick
Woodbury, MN
post #11 of 22 Old Jan 11th, 2006, 8:51 pm

I believe this is what John is talking about.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

Last edited by Steve_R; Jan 11th, 2006 at 8:52 pm. Reason: fixing utl string
post #12 of 22 Old Jan 12th, 2006, 1:13 am Thread Starter

Steve you hit the nail right on the head. That is exactly what happened to me. I'm mad as hell at myself and the dealers for allowing it to get this far. We dodged another bullet and I am that much wiser for it. Lesson learned.....

Craig Hutchison
02 Pac Blue (Aka Blue Ox)
34° 14’ 12.63 N
119° 01’ 21.64 W

Why coast through Life when you can Corner it.
post #13 of 22 Old Jan 12th, 2006, 7:49 am

Thanks for the tip. I'm thinking TPadden has a point too, tho....I may be fortunate in that the local dealer here in Nashville--Bloodworth--won awards for their service--I believe they were voted best in the nation for a ship their size last year. I'd be interested in hearing a critique from anyone who has used them. Not sure about Reno, Nevada's dealer/service but would appreciate some feedback about them, too, since I'll be spending large portions of time at my other home there in the next 2-3 years as well. I do recall that a visit to their showroom left me with a bad taste in my mouth due to the complete lack of customer attention, sticker shock and a general sense of malaise.
post #14 of 22 Old Jan 12th, 2006, 10:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwagner
An often overlooked important piece of hardware. I always have them change my valve stems and now have gone to metal stems. Makes it easier to inflate the tires too.
What stems do you use? I got the metal stims at NAPA (got part # from this site) but due to the ridge on my wheel it doesn't seat properly. What do ya'll do about that?

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans

Jerry P. Hatley

2007 R1200RT (Betty Lou)
2009 Harley Roadglide (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
1999 BMW K1200LT (sold)
2004 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
1998 Harley Roadking Classic (sold)
post #15 of 22 Old Jan 13th, 2006, 1:53 am
IBR# 366

Garage
The metal stems that I bought, based on part numbers given here, didn't quite fit either. So I just tried different rubber washer configurations until it all worked. I may have also left the top cover washer off of one wheel, but that was 5 months and 10K miles ago, so I don't remember exactly. I also used a scotch-brite pad to clean the inside of the wheels thoroughly, especially where the bead seats. No problems losing air since.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #16 of 22 Old Jan 31st, 2006, 11:56 pm

Question How do you install new valve stems?

I'm in the process of changing my rear tire for the first time, and as someone mentioned on another thread, I'm starting to question my sanity!

Anyway, I have new BMW valve stems and pulled the old stems out. Now I'm having trouble installing the new ones.

What is the trick to install the new (rubber) valve stems?

I was going to try pulling on the cap with pliers while pushing from inside the rim, but don't want to damage the cap or separate the valve core from the rubber.

Any advice is appreciated!

Joe
post #17 of 22 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 12:07 am

Hi Joe,

You can buy a valve stem tool at most parts stores. It's a long handle with a hinge at one end and it threads onto the valve stem which alows you to pull the valve stem through the wheel. However after seeing this thread I will be replacing my valve stems with metal stems ASAP. I change my own tires and I always replace the stems, but after seeing the link to the picture of the failed stem I will never use rubber stems again. I was amazed that the metal part was just a smooth tube with nothing to grab hold of the rubber part of the stem.

Wayne Mann
05 Ocean Blue LT
Randleman NC
post #18 of 22 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 2:45 am
IBR# 366

Garage
I second the other suggestions: toss the rubber stems and get full metal ones. Especially if you got yours from BMW. Even "new" rubber stems have been known to let go. The chance of it happening to you may be small, but the severity of the failure is great. It just isn't worth it when there is a known low-cost but high-quality solution easily available.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #19 of 22 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 9:47 am

is the extra weight of the metal stems any problem when balancing?

If its got tits or an engine you're gonna have trouble with it

05 Graphite K1200LT
post #20 of 22 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 10:28 am

Valve stem failure

Howdy all..

on the old K1200LT board, there was a thread that ran for a while regarding valve stem failure. All and sundry joined in with their theories as to why it happens, when it happens, what happens - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Someone came up with a BMW service bulletin about this very topic, and in it was clearly stated: Valve stems are to be replaced during tyre changes. I had a copy of the bulletin on my computer, but as that was something like three computers ago, I can no longer locate it.

Most of us use BMW dealers to get our tyres - it strikes me as interesting that none of the dealers seem to comply with this directive, by default. In fact, several of the dealers that I go to don't even carry stock of the stems.

If anyone out there has a copy of the bulletin, might be a good candidate for the Hall of Wisdom..

Regards
Chris Paine
Carool NSW

01 K1200LT Champagne

Last edited by cpaine; Feb 1st, 2006 at 10:29 am. Reason: typo
post #21 of 22 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 10:52 am

No. The weight of the metal stem and the rubber ones are about the same. But that doesn't matter, because when you balance a wheel you're balancing everything, including rotors, stem, wheel and tire.

Cheers.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

post #22 of 22 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 1:40 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
I also remember a story about someone here who did have the stems replaced at a recent tire change, and then the new ones failed. I think there was a bad batch out there, or just poor quality control.

I've never heard of a metal stem failing, as long as you seat them correctly.

And balancing isn't an issue. When I added metal stems and the SmarTire sensors, one wheel came in spot on and the other needed very little weight. Of course, I first had the tech balance the rims without tires to mark the true heavy spot, then mount the tires according to the mark we made. Worked great.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in