285 mi. to nearest dealer:Buy new or used? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Jan 10th, 2006, 7:32 pm Thread Starter

285 mi. to nearest dealer:Buy new or used?

I am brand new to this forum and welcome advice on the use of it.

I intend on switching from HD to an LT and plan to do so as soon as I find time to travel to a BMW dealer or individual with one for sale and road test it. My only reluctance is that I am 280+ miles from the nearest dealer. Since I am so far from a dealer, my question is whether it would be advisable to buy a used bike that is well maintianed and had any bugs worked out rather than purchase new with frequent service intervals and potential bugs? I prefer to buy used because of price.

Lynn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Jan 10th, 2006, 7:40 pm

Used

If you are reasonably prepared to do your own maintenance I'd buy used. If you are the type of person who wants the dealer to do your maintenance and fix all your little problems buy new.
There are good deals on used KLTs out there. Happy Hunting.
post #3 of 15 Old Jan 10th, 2006, 8:36 pm Thread Starter

extended warranty

Thanks for input. I am OK with some wrench work plus there is supposed to be a local independent shop with some BMW qualifications.

Do extended warranties require an authorized BMW dealership to make the covered repairs?

Lynn

post #4 of 15 Old Jan 10th, 2006, 8:41 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Hi Lynn,

If you're comfortable with basic mechanical procedures, and you're on a budget, then get a used bike and do the maintenance yourself. You may be 285 miles to the dealer, but you're only minutes from any advice you may need on this forum.

Where are you located? Several regional groups hold local tech sessions where you can see the insides of the LT up close and learn how to take care of the beast.

As for extended warranties, I don't have one so I can't help there.

And welcome to the group.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 15 Old Jan 10th, 2006, 9:11 pm Thread Starter

West Texas

West Texas, Odessa, to be exact. I am surrounded by BMW dealers--285 to 325 miles in every direction! I agree with you about the help via this forum. I found it in my quest for info on the LT and have been duly impressed.

Lynn
post #6 of 15 Old Jan 10th, 2006, 9:32 pm

Fill out your profile.

To answer your question, I agree with the previous posts. Even though I don't work on my own bike as I have a dealer 100 miles away.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #7 of 15 Old Jan 10th, 2006, 9:43 pm

I bought my 05 from a dealer about 230 miles from my house. There are also two dealers close by but I would never buy anything from them. I actually do not mind the excuse to ride a long distance to get service. The Dealer I use also has a pickup and delivery service if you do not want to ride it to them. There is a nominal charge for the service because I am so far from them. I believe the charge is $75 one way. My experience with this Dealer(Max BMW) has been excellent. I bought the bike mid september and already have 3500 miles. I actually have been riding her the last couple of days because it has been over 30 degrees during the day, actually close to 50 yesterday. Hard to let her sit in the garage.

Good luck with your hunt. BTW, the LT is the 1st vehicle I have ever bought new. My previous bike was a 78 R100/7 which was given to me.

Jim

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #8 of 15 Old Jan 10th, 2006, 9:53 pm

Buy used!

IMHO, buy a well maintained used LT with records.

Learn to do the basic work yourself (it's pretty easy) and this bike probably will not give you any problems. I don't recommend any extended warranties either - check the very recent thread on warranties for somemore opinions. You can get your parts off the internet at a discount too.

You can learn all the basics with relative ease from Paul sayegh at the following link: http://www.sayegh.org/bmw/service-video.htm
Worth much more than the asking price for the instructional videos and very clearly presented; easy to reference over and over again too.

You will save a lot of money buying used, even an 05... and if by some chance you have a problem that you cannot address alone, you will have plenty of money available for the repair.
post #9 of 15 Old Jan 10th, 2006, 10:30 pm Thread Starter

Thanks!

Thanks for all input. It is reassuring to know that so many supportive folks and so many resources are available via this forum.

Lynn
post #10 of 15 Old Jan 11th, 2006, 8:08 am

With a local dealer that can help some and being on the internet to get some advice then you doing your own work shouldn't be much trouble. Like you I would try for a used one and let someone else take the big hit on the price.
post #11 of 15 Old Jan 11th, 2006, 1:37 pm

Thumbs up 12K mile serviced

...and if you can buy a used bike that just got either the 12K miles or the 24K miles service done you are even better off as there is no much else to do in between except for oil changes, and if you average 1000 miles a month that leaves you a year of maintenance-free riding.
With the money you thought you just saved by not buying a new bike... you will join the farkle club and spend it all in upgrades (start with HID low beam at a minimum)... .

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #12 of 15 Old Jan 11th, 2006, 5:15 pm

I would shop around for a used 05 model, because it has a lot of advantages over the older models. I had an 01 model and I can say that I feel a lot more comfortable at slow speeds on my 05 and I do like that extra HP. I bought my 05 used with 3500 miles on it and have been pleased. Good luck in your hunt. I've had an HD Ultra Classic and I am glad that I switched over to BMW it that helps at all.
Leon
05 Blue LT
post #13 of 15 Old Jan 11th, 2006, 9:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumbleweed
West Texas, Odessa, to be exact. I am surrounded by BMW dealers--285 to 325 miles in every direction! I agree with you about the help via this forum. I found it in my quest for info on the LT and have been duly impressed.

Lynn
Shoot, only 285mi? You Texas guys go that far for a beer and a burger doncha? If you don't, once you get on the LT, you'll want to!

Welcome to the board.
post #14 of 15 Old Jan 11th, 2006, 10:03 pm Thread Starter

one decision made

Okay folks, I am not sure about new or used yet but I will tell you what I have decided. What with all the encouragement, advice, and glad tidings via this forum and PM's I know for sure I will buy an LT just to be part of all this fun!

Lynn
post #15 of 15 Old Jan 11th, 2006, 11:02 pm

Hi Lynn,

I love my 2000 LT but if I was 280+ miles from a BMW dealer, I'd buy a Gold Wing if that dealer was much closer. I think the BMW is more comfortable for my wife and the 2005's have as much power. I like the electric windshield and heated seat. And I think it is less of an old man's bike and more unique than the wing. But I and a new Wing ride with a sport bike club and he seems to go as fast and have as much fun as I do. I think the Wings are more trouble free. The dealer distance would likely be a tie breaker for me. The hassle of dropping the bike off for repairs, picking parts and seeking advice wouldn't be worth it for me. The Gold Wing board is probably similar to this one so I think you would enjoy those people as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in