Looking to buy used LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Nov 8th, 2008, 9:23 pm Thread Starter

Looking to buy used LT

Hello all
New member here needing advice on used LT's. Need to stay in the $8-11K range. I have found a locally owned 05 with 64K. It looks to be well taken care of and had the FD replaced @ 46K under warranty. Are there any improvements to the replacements? I am new to these bikes & BMW's in general. I've done a little research on this board and a few others, and am awear of the clutch and FD problems. Looking for any other info you have on what to look for, best year mdls ect.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Nov 8th, 2008, 10:24 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Looking to buy used LT

Dude.. I have an '05.. loveit.. only have 32k on it at this time...

The "replacement" was probably identical to the original.

There have been hundreds if not thousands of threads addressing this "FD" issue on this board alone.

Just ride it... learn what to look for.. fix if it fails and ride it...

BTW.. see if you can get the dealer to throw in an extended warranty...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old Nov 8th, 2008, 10:33 pm

The '05 and newer have some nice changes from the earlier models such as powered center stand, LCD display, better low speed handling, more powerfull engine are some of the updates.

Look it over closely for leaking seals, dirty brake fluid ect... service records are a nice bonus.

2006 R1200RT
2006 Kawasaki KLR 650
2000 Suzuki Bandit 1200s

post #4 of 17 Old Nov 9th, 2008, 5:22 am

Garage

Hi guys,

I'm currently shopping for an LT, too... can you explain what is the "FD" issue? What should I look for, when I'm at the dealer?

As for the clutch, is it enough to make a short ride and see if the clutch slips/stutters (maybe forcing the clutch a little bit) or is there any better way to know if it's worn/defective?

How you can look for leaking seals & dirty brake fluid without dismounting half bike, which is not something I'm allowed to do at a typical BMW dealer

There's plenty of bikes here with a full record of service operations and a 1-year warranty (standard in Italy from all dealers) which should hopefully cover the major issues.

I'm looking for an older model, though: 2002 or 2003 will allow for a 7-9000 price range, which is the money I'd like to spend. The bikes I found so far have usually a fair amount of miles (30k to 50k): will this be a problem in your experience, or is this a bike that runs for a high mileage with no troubles?

I made up my mind for an LT after testing the RT and GT (see thread here ) and finding that neither of them are really "perfect". I loved them both, but I didn't like the boxer engine in the RT and the riding position / wind protection of the GT was acceptable but not as good as the RT/LT.

Therefore, since I'm seldom riding the bike in the city, but using it on motorways most of the time, all year long as a real car's replacement for commuting, I decided to look for an LT. Maybe one with lower price (hence the choice of '02 or '03 models) for a start.

I hope I'm not hijacking the thread, but adding more information

'12 R 1200 RT
'06 K 1200 LT (sold)
'05 Cagiva Navigator 1000 (sold)
'90 Kawasaki ZX10 (sold)
'82 Moto Guzzi V35 II (sold)
'82 Benelli Export 3V
post #5 of 17 Old Nov 9th, 2008, 6:25 am

There are really only two fairly common problem issues with the LT, Clutch contamination by either slave cylinder or transmission seal failure, and the final drive bearing failures.

The final drive problem gets the most negative media, but for me it is actually not as bad as the clutch problem. The Slave cylinder failure rate is actually higher than final drive failure, and costs as much or more money, and a lot more time to repair.

The final drive unit can be replaced in a couple hours by a trained person. The clutch will take a full day or more.

Neither problem would keep me from buying another LT though. The risk/reward ratio is still WAY in favor of reward.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #6 of 17 Old Nov 9th, 2008, 7:05 am

Garage

Thanks David.

But how do you know if a bike has FD or Clutch problems, when you see it at the dealer's shop? What test can you do to spot the problem?

Corrado

'12 R 1200 RT
'06 K 1200 LT (sold)
'90 Kawasaki ZX10 (sold)
'82 Benelli Export 3V
post #7 of 17 Old Nov 9th, 2008, 9:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrado68

How you can look for leaking seals & dirty brake fluid without dismounting half bike, which is not something I'm allowed to do at a typical BMW dealer

Get down and look in every nook and cranny for fluid leaks, I spotted a leaking trans output seal on mine which they fixed before I picked up the bike. Also look at the sight glass for the brake fluid, no need to tear the bike down for that.

2006 R1200RT
2006 Kawasaki KLR 650
2000 Suzuki Bandit 1200s
post #8 of 17 Old Nov 9th, 2008, 9:45 am

I bought mine from a dealer. Was looking for two things, GPS (which now I found out is not that important) and intercom. Found one on line, went down and picked it up. I was going on that most BMW owners are very caring about their BMWs, and most LT are older laid back riders. Again I say most. And I am sure more than most.

Took it home and it has been a great motorcycle. I rode it to Alaska in 07, after 12060 miles trouble free miles.

I have had to replace a rear shaft. The rear shaft had work it's way out of the rear drive, and ruined the teeth between the shaft and rear drive.

Just had leaky rear seal and those are the only major items that I have done and the motorcycle has 54K and I have owned it for 5 years.

Just remember you are buying used and that problems will pop up.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #9 of 17 Old Nov 9th, 2008, 12:36 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the replys everyone. A private party has the bike, so an entended warranty is out of the question. He does claim to have all service records and a bmw service cd. The price seems reasonable for an 05 just concerned about the mileage.
post #10 of 17 Old Nov 9th, 2008, 4:10 pm

Dave I would add also the shifter linkage issue.

Later

Steve A

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
There are really only two fairly common problem issues with the LT, Clutch contamination by either slave cylinder or transmission seal failure, and the final drive bearing failures.

The final drive problem gets the most negative media, but for me it is actually not as bad as the clutch problem. The Slave cylinder failure rate is actually higher than final drive failure, and costs as much or more money, and a lot more time to repair.

The final drive unit can be replaced in a couple hours by a trained person. The clutch will take a full day or more.

Neither problem would keep me from buying another LT though. The risk/reward ratio is still WAY in favor of reward.
post #11 of 17 Old Nov 9th, 2008, 5:30 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman587
Just remember you are buying used and that problems will pop up.
Of course, John.

This is in the account when you buy a bike for 7-9000 Euros, where it's priced 23000 new. Somewhere you'll recover part of the difference.

I've always bought my rides used, and never regretted it.

There's some great people out there, that you happen to meet and make good deals with. Indeed, Bimmers seem to be usually very proud of their machines and tend to keep a full record of their bike service, which is very useful.

'12 R 1200 RT
'06 K 1200 LT (sold)
'90 Kawasaki ZX10 (sold)
'82 Benelli Export 3V
post #12 of 17 Old Nov 11th, 2008, 10:22 am Thread Starter

How difference in engine power between the 05 and earlier mld.? Were can I find spec. sheet on diff. year mdls.?
post #13 of 17 Old Nov 11th, 2008, 7:15 pm

Are you bamarider of bamarider.com?

Greg and Melanie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

06 BMW K12LT "WANDRR"
05 DL1000 "WNDRR2"
02 Triumph Trophy 1200 "WNDRR3", in Heidelburg

WANDRR Motorcycle Tours
wandrrmotorcycletours.com
BMWMOA, BMWMOAL, IBA, MTF

ITS ALL ABOUT THE RIDE
post #14 of 17 Old Nov 11th, 2008, 9:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamarider
How difference in engine power between the 05 and earlier mld.? Were can I find spec. sheet on diff. year mdls.?

'99-'04 85 ft lbs 100 HP

'05 and up 86 ft lbs 116 HP

2006 R1200RT
2006 Kawasaki KLR 650
2000 Suzuki Bandit 1200s
post #15 of 17 Old Nov 12th, 2008, 7:38 am

Bamarider,

64k miles isn't really a problem but I think if your patient and keeping looking you can find an '05 in your price range with miles in the 20k-30k range.

Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->
post #16 of 17 Old Nov 12th, 2008, 10:14 am

I bought my '05LT from a forum member earlier this year. I looked at dealers across the country/Ebay/Craigslists/Cycle Trader. What I found was most BMW riders keep their bikes. So the selection is very limited. Mine had 35k miles on it and lots of extras. Lots of service had already been done and seals had been replaced so I didn't have to worry about the clutch issue.

Not sure you can find an 05 with 20-30k miles on it for 11,000. The range I found was about 13,000 to 15,000. The reason being is all the extras that are on a lot of them. The best money I've spent on any vehicle yet.

Check the forum classifieds. At least you have a much better idea of who you are buying from. Oh, I flew from Dallas to New Orleans to pick mine up. My two choices were New Orleans and Scottsdale, AZ. The ride home is the icing on the cake!!

Good luck...

Syd
Dallas, Texas
'05 K1200LT Graphite ( Big E's former ride )
post #17 of 17 Old Nov 12th, 2008, 1:27 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWWANDRR
Are you bamarider of bamarider.com?
No, that's not me, but I will check out the site.
Yea, not in a big hurry to buy, got 2 bikes now, so to stay in good with the better half need to sell one before I get another one. So if anyone needs a really nice Victory cruiser I've got one for sell.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in