Fuel tank door latch is sticking - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Nov 8th, 2008, 11:06 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Fuel tank door latch is sticking

I did several searches and didn't find this topic only topics about the tang breaking or gettng stuck in the latch. My latch is sticking in the "open" position such that the door tang won't engage. I can "reset" the latch by pushing on the little button beside the latch towards the inside of the bike and thus make the other part pop up into position. Has anyone else had this problem? Is this a sign of impending failure or just a need for lubrication?

When I got home I hit it with a shot of spray silicone and that seems to have helped, so maybe it just had some dust and dirt in it.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Nov 8th, 2008, 11:08 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Fuel tank door latch is sticking

Mine did that when "new" an 05.. I used a different lube, but that has allowed it to function or 31k miles and almost 4 years without fault.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 Old Nov 8th, 2008, 11:25 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
Mine did that when "new" an 05.. I used a different lube, but that has allowed it to function or 31k miles and almost 4 years without fault.
May I inquire as to what lube you used in case the spray silicone provides only a short-term fix?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #4 of 23 Old Nov 8th, 2008, 11:28 am
Lifetime Supporter

I used "LPS 1" you can usually find it at a "industrial" supply house.. you won't find it at Yall Mart or AcidZone.

http://www.skygeek.com/lps00116.html

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #5 of 23 Old Nov 8th, 2008, 11:44 am

A lot has used WD-40 with success.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT - Sold December 2019
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #6 of 23 Old Nov 8th, 2008, 1:07 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino
A lot has used WD-40 with success.
Same here

Stevie Shreeve
post #7 of 23 Old Nov 8th, 2008, 1:17 pm

Garage

Lucky you, my tang broke off a week after I got my LT home. I simply use a piece of velcro. Three years- no problems.

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #8 of 23 Old Nov 8th, 2008, 2:04 pm

Little velcro piece for me too and I like it better than the old latch that broke.
post #9 of 23 Old Nov 8th, 2008, 3:04 pm
Lifetime Supporter

This is NOT an oil thread in drag... =P

yeah... WD-40 is great... I use a LOT of it.. it's great to clean up "gummy" mechanical things.

Then I follow up with the LPS-1 where I can.. works great on firearm mechanisms such as trigger and sliding parts.... and very slightly stains on some fabrics so is good for concealed weapons.... and throttle cables, lever lubrication, etc.

LPS-2 is good for high wear points... and hangs pretty good. I use it on "external" parts of firearms .

I use the WD-40 to flush, clean and temporary lube... but I use the LPS-1 on things like throttle cables, pivots, etc... Personally I don't like how WD-40 dries out... we've used it as "cutting oil" pretty often.. etc... whatever works for ya!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #10 of 23 Old Nov 8th, 2008, 3:46 pm
Lifetime Supporter

If I remember correctly, it literally pops out and then can be washed with soap an water.

Never tried cleaning it out with oil. Oil grabs the constant dust our of the air.

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #11 of 23 Old Nov 8th, 2008, 3:49 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
This is NOT an oil thread in drag... =P

yeah... WD-40 is great... I use a LOT of it.. it's great to clean up "gummy" mechanical things.

Then I follow up with the LPS-1 where I can.. works great on firearm mechanisms such as trigger and sliding parts.... and very slightly stains on some fabrics so is good for concealed weapons.... and throttle cables, lever lubrication, etc.

LPS-2 is good for high wear points... and hangs pretty good. I use it on "external" parts of firearms .

I use the WD-40 to flush, clean and temporary lube... but I use the LPS-1 on things like throttle cables, pivots, etc... Personally I don't like how WD-40 dries out... we've used it as "cutting oil" pretty often.. etc... whatever works for ya!
My only reservation is using WD-40 on plastic. I haven't heard of any problem with most common plastics in use today, but some don't like petroleum-based products very well and I believe that WD-40 has petroleum distillates, although I haven't checked a can lately to be sure.

I think silicone is safe for pretty much all plastics.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #12 of 23 Old Nov 8th, 2008, 10:04 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
My only reservation is using WD-40 on plastic. I haven't heard of any problem with most common plastics in use today, but some don't like petroleum-based products very well and I believe that WD-40 has petroleum distillates, although I haven't checked a can lately to be sure.

Definitely, Matt... WD40 use must be very careful ... On the other hand, I've sed LPS1 on nearly everything and it's never fouled it up.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #13 of 23 Old Nov 9th, 2008, 7:27 am

mine eventually broke off... I glued a little round magnet to the inside of the cover and another to the top of the gas cap, occasionally the wind would blow it open so I ended up gluing 2 magnets beside each other. No moving parts to break, works perfect.

Ron

2008 RT
2002 LT champagne
2003 Shadow
1986 Yamaha 500
1981 Honda Twinstar
post #14 of 23 Old Nov 9th, 2008, 12:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by itspossible
mine eventually broke off... I glued a little round magnet to the inside of the cover and another to the top of the gas cap, occasionally the wind would blow it open so I ended up gluing 2 magnets beside each other. No moving parts to break, works perfect.

Ron
Excellent idea! That sucker flappin' in the wind has been bothering me lately.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #15 of 23 Old Nov 9th, 2008, 12:54 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by itspossible

Ron
Yes, I like that idea. If mine bites the dust that is the solution I'm trying first.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #16 of 23 Old Nov 9th, 2008, 2:13 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Magnets! Now that is a great idea.
But it makes me wonder, how many magnets would it take to hold the tupperware on? ;)

Still -
Just a dog without a bone ~...............

CCR '09 Great trip!, 2010 Miles of smiles, 2011 Can this possibly get better? 2012 a Superior trip!

2004 K1200LT - ZZ Trailer
1983 R100
BMWMOA #158807 Michiana BMW Club #122
post #17 of 23 Old Nov 9th, 2008, 8:30 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phydough
Magnets! Now that is a great idea.
But it makes me wonder, how many magnets would it take to hold the tupperware on?
All depends on how large the pot holes are in your area!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #18 of 23 Old Nov 9th, 2008, 8:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager

If the silicone dries out too fast (usually does) try cleaning the latch out real good then squirt some white lithium grease in it and work the latch a few times. White lithium is safe for all plastics.
post #19 of 23 Old Nov 10th, 2008, 6:48 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morley
If the silicone dries out too fast (usually does) try cleaning the latch out real good then squirt some white lithium grease in it and work the latch a few times. White lithium is safe for all plastics.
I have a can of that also so that is no problem. The only problem I've had with grease in the past is that it attracts dust and dirt and sometimes ends up causing more harm than good. If the silicone lasts at least several months, then I have no problem giving it a squirt every so often. But if it lasts only a week or two, then I'll try some LPS or lithium. Or maybe just break off the tang and install magnets!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #20 of 23 Old Nov 10th, 2008, 7:07 am

Just a little more information on the magnet fix. The first magnets i glued were not in quite parallel to each other so I placed a real thin wedge of plastic under the one on the inside of the cover, the one on the gas cap just went flat. The second set I just used more JB Weld and angled the magnets a bit.

When you fill up with gas you just have to twist the cap so it lines up with the magnets, becomes automatic after a while.

tupperware magnets....now there's an idea!

Ron

2008 RT
2002 LT champagne
2003 Shadow
1986 Yamaha 500
1981 Honda Twinstar
post #21 of 23 Old Nov 10th, 2008, 8:43 am

Thumbs up Re: Fuel tank door latch is sticking

I just did this fix yesterday!

I had a couple of thin approximately 1" by 1/2" magnets just hangin' around... they are the kind that are slightly pliable. This is important since there is a bit of a curve to both mounting surfaces.

I removed the broken latch mechanism and used an Exacto chisel and small hammer to trim the "lip" off around the opening. All that was left was a rectangular hole with a flat surface surrounding it.

The perimeter of the hole and corresponding mating surface on the lid was cleaned with alcohol. Same with the magnets.

A very THIN mist of 3M Super 90 spray glue was applied to both magnets, I then stuck the magnets together so that they were lined up, glued sides facing out.

I attached both magnets over the hole, then closed the lid and held pressure on top with a 5 lb. hammer to allow the glue to dry. The thickness of the combined magnets just happened to be the right amount so that when stuck together the lid is level with the tupperware. The only thing left to do is trim the corner of the bottom magnet flush to the edge with an Exacto knife, this is for cosmetic purposes only.

It works GREAT - and thanks again for the idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3165.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	20508   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3166.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	20511  

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Nov 10th, 2008 at 8:53 am.
post #22 of 23 Old Nov 11th, 2008, 12:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Excellent idea! That sucker flappin' in the wind has been bothering me lately.
zip your pants up fool. That will solve your problem.

Jeremy
1999 Champagne
Bike #70151
post #23 of 23 Old Nov 12th, 2008, 1:40 am

If you want to use magnets try Neodymium magnets, the strongest avialable. Or try the ceramic magnets, won't rust.
http://magnetsales.thomasnet.com/vie...tangle-magnets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in