Mirror safety wires - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Nov 7th, 2008, 7:36 am Thread Starter

Mirror safety wires

I just installed mirror safety wires & was wondering if anyone on the board has experience with them?

I bought mine from Bob's. I looped them through the plastic inside the mirror body, and anchored them to the center allen screw on the mirror body mount.

2005 Kawasaki Z750S
1999 BMW K1200LT
1972 Honda CL350

BMWMOA # 139202
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Nov 7th, 2008, 7:42 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: Mirror safety wires

I use good-'ol "Zipties, the work well and can be cut off to remove mirrors

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 7 Old Nov 7th, 2008, 10:03 am

I saw what Paul Sayegh did on the video (using vinyl covered steel/metal fishing wire with crimp-on connectors), and looked for the components, but they were not easy for me to find. I did find steel fishing leaders, available in 6,9, or 12" lengths, that seem to work pretty well. They come already configured with a little spring loop, so it was dead easy to install. The wire is fine enough to not cause trouble re-attaching the mirrors.

BTW I tried to use zip-ties, but found that they were too bulky and my mirrors did not attach properly. I did find that the mirrors will stay attached pretty well using only two of the three snaps "snapped" if you know what I mean, although the vibration did limit the utility of the mirror (that was on a 4000 mile trip this summer, before I found the steel fishing leaders).

I have found that the "snap" attachments are fragile, and have had to repair at least two of them using Goop. The plastic cracks and then the wire retainer falls out...one was my fault (dropped the bike in my garage, mirror banged against the other bike next to it...at least no one saw it happen!) but the other one was not my fault. Seems like a cheap system for such a nice bike! Luckily, I have found that Household or Marine Goop work very welll for those type of repairs.

FWIW I rode a Honda Goldwing for 13 years before getting my LT this summer. I love love love the LT despite its many (minor) drawbacks. No thoughts whatsoever of going back to Goldwing!

Peter
2002 K1200LTE (July 4, 2008)-"Dragonfly"
1984 Goldwing Aspencade-"The Mighty Pickle" (think of Arlo Guthrie)
1982 Yamaha Maxim 750-"Little Pickle" (sometimes "Gherkin")
1980 Honda 750 Four-utilitarian, classic
1978 Honda 450 Four-took it apart, couldn't put it back together...
1976 Suzuki GT 250-2 stroke screamer

post #4 of 7 Old Nov 7th, 2008, 12:04 pm

Yes I installed them, good value for money as far as I am concerned.

Zipties are OK but as times passes they deteriorate and snap easily if any force is applied to them ( such as hitting the mirror against a solid object !).
post #5 of 7 Old Nov 8th, 2008, 9:38 am

I have them too - last trip to the dealer saw a rush assembly & I stupidly did not check the mirror fitment... 2 miles down the superslab at 70+ off both of them popped... thanks to the retainers, it was a simple stop & pop... cheap insurance.
post #6 of 7 Old Nov 8th, 2008, 4:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverhair
I just installed mirror safety wires & was wondering if anyone on the board has experience with them?

I bought mine from Bob's. I looped them through the plastic inside the mirror body, and anchored them to the center allen screw on the mirror body mount.
I use zip ties , long thin ones . Bike fell over when I stupidly parked it on gravel on the side stand DOH! The left mirror popped off but the zip tie held
Rob D
post #7 of 7 Old Nov 8th, 2008, 4:46 pm

The second day I had my LT I knocked off a mirror moving moving around in the garage. Then I saw the wires! I thought it was standard equipment until I started reading here.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in