Tire change - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Nov 6th, 2008, 7:51 pm Thread Starter

Tire change

As a newbee I'd like to thank everyone for the great advise on this site. The 03 LT I bought in Oct. was my re-entry bike after 25 years. I've put 2000 miles on thus far and am hoping the winter holds off for a while. With the info I've garnered here I've changed the oil and filter and tomorrow I'm changing the tranny and FD fluid. While I was at the dealer buying the gear oil (he sold me 75/140 synthetic) and wining about finding a 14 mm allen for the tranny drain, a mechanic gave me an inch long 14 mm hex - great people at Warner BMW.

But taking the wheels off appears to be another issue. The dealer quoted $160 to mount and balance if I brought the bike in and they did all the work, or $80 if I brought in the wheels only. I've been looking on the web for Metzlers but they seem to have a different designation than I saw on the Hall of Wisdom but were classified as BMW OEM. The bike has now 19500 miles and the brakes still look good. Do you believe it is worthwhile to have the dealer do all the work for the additional $80?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Nov 6th, 2008, 8:02 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Tire change

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGeo
As a newbee I'd like to thank everyone for the great advise on this site. The 03 LT I bought in Oct. was my re-entry bike after 25 years. I've put 2000 miles on thus far and am hoping the winter holds off for a while. With the info I've garnered here I've changed the oil and filter and tomorrow I'm changing the tranny and FD fluid. While I was at the dealer buying the gear oil (he sold me 75/140 synthetic) and wining about finding a 14 mm allen for the tranny drain, a mechanic gave me an inch long 14 mm hex - great people at Warner BMW.

But taking the wheels off appears to be another issue. The dealer quoted $160 to mount and balance if I brought the bike in and they did all the work, or $80 if I brought in the wheels only. I've been looking on the web for Metzlers but they seem to have a different designation than I saw on the Hall of Wisdom but were classified as BMW OEM. The bike has now 19500 miles and the brakes still look good. Do you believe it is worthwhile to have the dealer do all the work for the additional $80?

Thanks
I have yet to remove the front wheel on my 07 LT, but I did remove the back a couple of months ago as the original 880 wore out at 9K miles. Removing the rear wheel is a piece of cake. I'd definitely do that to save half of $80. Not having done the front wheel yet, I can't say for sure that it is worth $40, but I can't imagine it is that much more work than the rear. So, for me, I'd definitely take off your two wheels and install them again if you pay me the $80!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old Nov 6th, 2008, 8:38 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
Not having done the front wheel yet, I can't say for sure that it is worth $40, but I can't imagine it is that much more work than the rear. So, for me, I'd definitely take off your two wheels and install them again if you pay me the $80!
Remove the front fender, then remove both calipers. The rest is pretty straight forward. There is a sequence for reassembly. Torque the axel nut ,then bounce the forks a few times THEN torque the pinch bolts. Followed by putting the other stuff back on. Don't forget to apply the front brakes a few times BEFORE moving the bike (don't ask). You decide if that is worth the $40.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 Old Nov 6th, 2008, 8:42 pm

I change my own tires, but would and did remove the wheels for changes prior to buying my own changer. And when you put the thing back together, PUMP THE FRONT BRAKE!!! Darn near cost me a new gate!!!
post #5 of 13 Old Nov 6th, 2008, 8:58 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Yeah.. easy to do yourself.... just note direction of rotation...with a wax pencil to make sure tire gets mounted properly....

..remove the balance weights..
.. have them "balanced"...

.. it's pretty easy to remove as described above. I might add that you "tie" with a tiedown or other method, the "center stand" from somewhere on the bow back to the center stand. This will help keep bike from falling forward and then off the center stand.

.. also, "chock" the front of the bike near the under engine guard just enough to raise the front wheel about an inch off the floor.

... as you "remove" the front calipers, you need to "rock" them cw/ccw ... that will push the brake pads and caliper piston back into the caliper housing. Once you have them fully compressed you can "roll" the caliper out much easier. The rear comes straight out so not as important... but won't hurt to wiggle it a bit before removing.

...have some string to support the calipers.. don't let them dangle on the hoses.
... after replacing calipers, make sure you "pump" the brakes before you "turn on" the bike.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #6 of 13 Old Nov 6th, 2008, 9:26 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. The dealer has been very helpful thus far and I think I'll let him earn a couple extra $'s on this one.
post #7 of 13 Old Nov 6th, 2008, 9:46 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Right after I bought my LT I ran over an allen wrench on the interstate here in Tucson. Since it was a Monday, the local dealer was closed on Monday, I found a guy to come trailer my bike back to my house. He offered to bring it back to his yard and drop it off at the dealer first thing next morning.

I had them install a new rear Dunlop tire (OEm was DUnlop). I kept the receipt, I keep all of them.

With less than 4K on the speedo, I picked up a nail on the rear tire. I got on the internet and discovered I could replace the front and rear tire through a Kawi dealer, near me, for about the same price that I paid just to replace the rear tire thru the local BMW dealer.

I decode that it was time to see if another model tire, or brand name tire would have less propensity to pick up nails etc.

After making an appointment to have the new tires installed and waiting over 3 hours, I decide next time I'd rather yank the rims off and have tires installed.

Since that time, I yank my rims and have tires mounted and balanced.

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson

Last edited by BecketMa; Nov 6th, 2008 at 9:54 pm.
post #8 of 13 Old Nov 7th, 2008, 6:09 am

Since money was getting tight, the cost of a tire, mounting it, and balancing it, was going up I decided to do my own.

After reviewing information on the forums, cost had something to do with it too, I went with Avon Storms, Avon AV 55 120/70R17 front, and AV56 160/70R17 STORM ST REAR (correct tire for the LT ). You can get a set of front and rear tires from (http://www.motoxoutlet.com/ ) for about $250.00. There are plenty of other stores that sell these tires. They just happen to be the cheapest at the time.

I also use Dyna Beads to balance the tires. (http://www.innovativebalancing.com/ )
I have 10,000 miles on the front tire using Dyna Beads and the wear is even and the ride very smooth. I had to replace the rear tire at 7,000 mile due to a nail, but I had the same experience, even wear and a very smooth ride. Most of the miles are commuting to work.

I purchased a Harbor Freight tire changer with the motorcycle adapter and a No Mar Mount/Demount bar ( http://www.nomartirechanger.com/ ) I figured that once I changed three tires I would break even on the cost of the equipment I had to purchase.

Bob Brendel
05 LT, Light Metallic Yellow
99 LT, Totaled 3/09
97 HD Former Work Bike
88 GL1500
84 GL1200
S3 400 Kaw, too long ago to remember the year
175 Yamaha even longer

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night

Only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

George Orwell
post #9 of 13 Old Nov 7th, 2008, 6:28 am

Changed both of mine before heading to the BMWOA Ralley in Gillette. I bought the rear Metzler from the web and the front tire from my local BMW dearler. They were $35 more than anywhere else(they gave me 15% discount as well)but I had to have one. Shop around, removing the wheels the first time may be little slow but once you do it, the next time will be easier. Good luck

2002 LT 'The Golden Girl'
post #10 of 13 Old Nov 7th, 2008, 9:45 am

I go thru tires, so I bought the nomar and do my own.

Just ordered from swmoto, 354 delivered to my door. Last year I think I got the same tires for about 260 delivered, when gas when thru the roof.

I save about 200 bucks, its over 550 at the dealer now to do this job.

I do my oil changes too, save about 65 bucks each change (synthetic, etc). Oil has shot up too, its around 12 bucks a qt now for BMW synth...ouch!
post #11 of 13 Old Nov 7th, 2008, 9:53 am

A tire change on the LT is cake. The wheels come off real easily, and you don't have to take it to a motorcycle shop to change the rubber, you can take it to a tire shop, which will charge a lot less. I paid only $20, but I had to take the rotor off the front wheel, no big deal.
post #12 of 13 Old Nov 15th, 2008, 3:48 pm Thread Starter

Smile Re: Tire change

Thanks all for the encouragement. I decided to attempt the wheel removal and it was quite straight forward. Purchased the Metzlers from Ronayers.com and recieved them in 10 days. Had them mounted and balanced at a tire store and saved beaucoup $'s. Quickly running out of riding weather up here.

Thanks again.
post #13 of 13 Old Nov 16th, 2008, 8:32 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Do yourself a favor and invest in the Clymer manual for the LT. Worth every penny. I take my wheels off and take them to the local Honda MC dealer. They mount the tires I get from them. I pay about what the internet has them for.

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in