Help - 2610 Hoolk-up to Comm System - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jan 10th, 2006, 10:00 am Thread Starter

Help - 2610 Hoolk-up to Comm System

I purchased a slightly used '05 LT from a private party this summer and had a VoiceII comm system installed at our local BMW dealer soon there after. I now would like to mount my newly purchased Garmin 2610 and hook it in to the comm system so I can hear the voice commands through my helmet set.

I will most likely use a BMR shelf for the mount unless there is a better option. Here is my question. How do you and how difficult is it to wire the 2610 to the VoiceII system? I am thinking that because the BMW Nav system is basically a 2610 there should be a cable I can purchase to hook it up. Is there a plug on the back off the system I can hook in to?

Just trying to get my ducks lined up before taking the plastic off. Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks in Advance.

Ken Norris
Union, Kentucky
2008 Yamaha FJR 1300
Beemer-less....for now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Apr 4th, 2006, 6:53 pm

Garmin MC Dock

If you order the motorcycle mount w/ cables from Garmin, they break out the audio into a 1/8" jack. You could then use that to power the $20 antenna relay I've seen elsewhere on the forums (seem to remember something about it being available @ Circuit City).

I got the MC Mount from Garmin for my 2730 (just mounted last nite), but I had the BMW factory mount for thier GPS. My dealer tells me if I want the BMW extra cable "used", I can order the BMW cradle (w/ 4 extra buttons) for about $100, and (probably) have those buttons work.
post #3 of 5 Old Apr 10th, 2006, 10:00 pm

BMW cradle buttons won't work with 27xx

According to Garmin, the 2730 will fit and power up in the BMW cradle (made specifically for the StreetPilot III Plus) but the extra buttons will not work. I opted for the motorcycle mounting kit along with a 3rd party bracket to mount it onto.

post #4 of 5 Old Apr 10th, 2006, 10:11 pm

Garmin 27xx wiring?

I am in the process of mounting a 2730 on my '05 LT also. I have the Garmin motorcycle mounting kit installed but I have not wired it in yet. Did you connect direct to the battery or splice into an ignition switched circuit? I prefer the latter if only to guard against running down the battery if I leave the darn thing on. Any advice on a good place to splice into + will be appreciated.
post #5 of 5 Old Apr 10th, 2006, 11:36 pm

I have my 2610 mounted in a Touratech locking mount on a 1" ram arm which is attached to a ram ball on the clutch m/c. I used the motorcycle kit from garmin it plugs into the back of the 2610, has power leads and a 3.5mm plug for the audio. I chose not to hook this into the voice because in the car on a long trip I got tired of listening to it. I just use the screen instructions, they are big and if you miss them just push the speaker button and they come right back up. I think you could try running a stero plug from the 2610 plug into the Aux of the Voice but I think you would have to leave it there and not be listening to music. You could run it that way and when the instructions came on the screen then switch over to aux then hit speaker button get the voice then switch back to whatever you were listening to, that would be a pain.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in