New Member - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Nov 5th, 2008, 10:30 pm Thread Starter

Greetings

I'm new to this site and new to the experience of riding a K 12 LT.
I am the proud owner of a few BMW bikes, and recently purchased a LT to add to the stable.

Perhaps some of my questions are located in the FAQ's department, however I figured I'd go ahead and ask you folks what some of your experience(s) have been.

Recently my wife and I took the LT on it's maiden shake down cruz from San Diego CA. through Arizona to the Grand Canyon and back again. A great trip we even caught Tina Turner in concert in Glendale AZ. but that's another story!

Back to the bike, I noticed the display completely faded after a stop in sunny Blythe CA. temps were about 100 degrees F. The read out came back given time, I am just curious if any one has experienced a similar problem.

Secondarily, the OEM seat is literally a pain in the ass, what are some recommendations for aftermarket seats, I have a Sargent on my K12RS and have many happy hours with no Monkey Butt symptoms.

I welcome your responses in advance.

Shoey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Nov 5th, 2008, 11:08 pm

Re: New Member

Hi Shoey,

Welcome to the site. It's a great place to find lots of friendship and help in time of need. As for the seat, just replace it...period. Many options out there, almost ANY of them is better than the stocker. Hope to see ya around here more in the future. God bless!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 13 Old Nov 6th, 2008, 2:35 am

Welcome shoey to the site

I had the Panel fade on me once while i was in Bishop Ca. it was prety warm out as well.....it was after a long ride there and after restarting the bike I tried turning it off and on again to reset it but... like you said it came back after a few minutes of riding again...Still not sure why or how it happened so i am interested in hearing from others as well...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 K1200LT

BWMMOA #143899
Dennis Eckenrode
Menifee Ca.

post #4 of 13 Old Nov 6th, 2008, 8:52 am

You might try some Denatured Alcohol on the display. Mine gets that way after a rain, and that seems to work well. I have a Russell seat on my LT, and love it. You will probably find as many opinions about seats as there are people on the site. I have only ever had a Russell (after the stock seat) and so I can't address any others out there who do custom seats.
post #5 of 13 Old Nov 6th, 2008, 3:47 pm

When I picked up my bike in Arizona . It was 114 f & I didn't have that happen . As a mater of fact the whole ride north & east it was Hot . The display was perfectly normal . Mind you right now my tach is wonky.
post #6 of 13 Old Nov 6th, 2008, 4:18 pm

Welcome. You found a great place and a great bike. I personally never experienced the numeric display fading even under 112 this summer.
post #7 of 13 Old Nov 6th, 2008, 5:06 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to the site and the joy of owning & riding the LT. I'm in my 8th year of LT ownership and am on my second LT, an 05. Trust the guys on this board when they say the LT love affairs are ones that wil grow. I had my doubts about the LT during the first few months of riding. Fellow LT board members convinced me to hang in there with her. I am so-so-so glad I did. I live just over the mountain from you in La Quinta and would be glad to meet up with you sometime, have a coffee and tell riding tales. I'll PM you later. Again welcome to the best all around touring bike and the best motorcycle forum in the world!

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

Growing Old is Mandatory Growing Up is Optional
post #8 of 13 Old Nov 6th, 2008, 5:08 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Welcome aboard!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #9 of 13 Old Nov 6th, 2008, 7:02 pm

All LCD's will fade in high heat conditions (ie direct sunlight). Some will fade more than others due to manufacturing defects or poor design.
It is best to keep direct sunlight off them for long life.

LCD's can be completely blank under very cold conditions as well. Military equipment using LCD's contain heaters to keep them operational in cold conditions.

2015 K1600GTL
1970 Plymouth Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Fastback 340-auto
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible, 6.1 L SRT8 Hemi transplant
post #10 of 13 Old Nov 6th, 2008, 7:12 pm

After trying Mayer ,Corbin (I can't remember them all) :

RUSSELL DAY LONG is the best saddle you can buy.

Last edited by mljmd7; Nov 6th, 2008 at 7:17 pm.
post #11 of 13 Old Nov 6th, 2008, 7:22 pm
Lifetime Supporter

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=71

Ron is no stranger to 100F plus riding.

Bob 00 Leaky Type, in COLD Tucson.

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #12 of 13 Old Nov 6th, 2008, 7:44 pm

Welcome aboard. Until you decide which seat you want. Get a beadrider.com it will prevent the monkey butt.

Ride 'em if you got 'em.
post #13 of 13 Old Nov 6th, 2008, 10:27 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the warm welcome and the advice on my inquiries.

I've got just about 5000 miles on the bike and I must admit this is an extra ordinary machine, really I'm impressed. During our trip we encountered temperatures ranging from 20 degrees F. to 100 degrees F. Heated seats, faring, cruz control, but the greatest part were the sweepers and the twisties outside Sedona. Two up and laughing out loud with pleasure, what a kick!

Thank you gentlemen, I'll be talking to you soon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in