LT windshield noise & 3 helmets tested-HELP! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Nov 5th, 2008, 5:06 pm Thread Starter

LT windshield noise & 3 helmets tested-HELP!

I have the OEM tall shield on the LT. My first and primary helmet is the Nolan 102C. I bought a GMAX GM44 modular for winter use, figuring to use a thick balaclava for warmth. That was very noisy, and could not use it.

Today I received a new HJC CL-15 XXL. I tested it with two balaclavas.
One very thick and the other the BMW model.

#1. I had a terrible time trying to get my glasses in with the thick one.
The BMW one was not nearly as difficult.
#2. I thought this helmet too was noisy. The problem is not the helmets.
#3. The problem is the OEM windshield.

When I put the BMW shield down and stood on the pegs, the helmet was very quiet. I had not tried that before, thinking it was the helmet. Being told the solid helmet would be quieter than the modular, I assumed the helmet was the problem.

I rode 100 miles with two guys the other day, 1 GW and 1 Road King. Both had 3/4 helmets and stated they had no noise and were not cold.

I had my Nolan with earplugs and a BMW balaclava, and was comfy, but somewhat noisy. I have gotten used to this, not having known any different, until today.

I am going to upgrade the HJC to a modular in a couple of weeks, return the Nolan for warranty and that will be the end of riding for this year.

What do I do to fix all the wind noise on the BMW shield? I used it with and without the Laminar Lip, and found it much improved with the Lip.

I would appreciate any suggestions on either another windshield or closing off the vent under the OEM shield, if that would work. Running out of time to do much else, but I do not care to continue riding with all this noise, knowing it does not have to be that way.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Nov 5th, 2008, 5:22 pm

Re: LT windshield noise & 3 helmets tested-HELP!

Two words: ear plugs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #3 of 18 Old Nov 5th, 2008, 5:31 pm

Something I have noticed over the years while testing communication between bikes is that the folks wearing full face helmets always had far worse background noise when transmitting over their microphones. This was to the point that, with any speed, they were unreadable.

What we came to realize is that a full face helmet picks up the noises from below and cause major noise problems. Arai helmets have a chin noise blocker that did seem to help some.

I wear an Arai Ram 3 (Open face with flip shield) and have very little wind noise with the OEM shield at a high setting.

HTH

Ron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

747,891 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 96,669miles (new)
Total BMW miles 509,508
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383

post #4 of 18 Old Nov 5th, 2008, 5:47 pm Thread Starter

Having talked with the HJC racing team person and Leo from Laminar Lip tonight, we all agree the problem is not the helmets.

The suggestions thus far are:

Close off the rear vents on the HJC and see what that does.

Close off the bottom venting on the BMW OEM windshield.

Do we know of anyone that has done this, and is there another shield out there that does not vent on the bottom for the LT?

Put on a smaller shield and use with and without another LIP.

There has to be an answer to this. I did not have any problems with the Cardo COM system on the Nolan, even with the noise as it is. The voice clarity is better than our best home phone.

I saw one other LT with a medium sized shield, and was told he had no noise.
I have to assume at this point, he was riding with his helmet getting clean air, not affected by any shielding.

This will get expensive trying different shields and yes, ear plugs are one answer. But, I would rather not use the ear plugs and figure out how to fix the problem.

I have been through a LOT with this bike, and it would be a shame to have gotten this far and not figure out how to solve the helmet/shield noise issue.

If I can figure this out, I do believe this is going to solve my need to use the thick balaclava riding in the 30 degree temps as well. I do believe I will start by blocking off the air flow on the bottom of the windshield, tomorrow....if it doesn't rain.

Thanks!
post #5 of 18 Old Nov 5th, 2008, 7:50 pm

Interesting. I don't find the standard oem windscreen noisy at all- at least not unbearably. I rase it until the dirty air is just muted when alone. With the wife, it's always all the way up.

I use a modular HJC Symax2.

Of course, once the tires start to feather, I always hear that in the leans.
post #6 of 18 Old Nov 5th, 2008, 9:53 pm Thread Starter

I am on the fence with the $60 trade up for a new SY Max II. I like their lining better than the Nolan.

I had no idea what I was missing until I stood on the pegs and had NO Noise with the HJC CL-15 today in clean air. I think I am going to go one size smaller and use only the BMW balaclava. If that is not warm enough, time to put the bike in storage.

Will give this one more try and attempt to cut off the wind flow from under the windshield. Will post any useful info should that work.

Appreciate any and all advise, suggestions and experiences. Thanks!
post #7 of 18 Old Nov 6th, 2008, 1:27 am

I thought you were getting rid of the LT??
post #8 of 18 Old Nov 6th, 2008, 8:07 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

I thought I posted this not sure if it was deleted or I had a brain fade.

I have a Cee Bailey #2 -6 if you want to try it. I am not selling it! You are welcome to try it. I have 4, 2 blue and 2 clear all the same size.

Anyone who wants to try it is welcome to help them decide what Cee Bailey height they would want.

As I have said I use a -6 because I HATE looking through a shield.

But I can if in rain like this morning on the way to work. I find for all my helmets I can adjust the shield to get clean air over my helmets, and still look over the shield.

Only down fall is the passenger suffers if not in a full face.

You might want to try it and see, and then make a judgment if a -4, or a -2 would be good for you and your passenger.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #9 of 18 Old Nov 6th, 2008, 9:22 am Thread Starter

#1. The bike is for sale, but who would buy it? Dealer would not take it on consignment, and we would lose $6k before we answer the first phone call. With so many devastating issues to deal with at home, this is just about the only thing holding things together here.....the bike even handles much better with both of us on it, odd how that worked out.

#2. Since we do have it, might as well use it. Everything is fixed now, and I had no idea how much wind I was getting until after riding with the GW & HD, which don't have the wind coming under the shields.

I need to do more research and see if all the windshields have that cut out on the bottom. If so, my first option is to block that off. Thinking that over today.

I am going to swap up for the Sy Max II, just because it may work out better than the Nolan, and I will just lose more money having to get rid of a helmet that was worn one time.

I would love to try other shields. There have been quite a few for sale inexpensively, but I need to figure out what is causing the problem exactly.
I've only seen one mid sized OEM shield, and I really like the way that looks on the bike.

After riding yesterday on the pegs, 18" above the shield in clean air, WOW!
That was much better than any position I get with the shield.

Appreciate the offer of the shield test! Not a lot of time left this season to figure this out, it would appear.

I will keep my eye out for some used or unwanted ones.

I think I may duct tape something over that vent and still allow the shield to go up and down, see what that does.

Too many variables at this point, not enough money or time to figure this out.

By next Spring the value of the bike will be even less. So, looks like we will run it until it doesn't go, or take one huge loss to unload it.

If I can get this resolved, the only other issue is the too stiff a spring on the new rear Ohlins. The ride solo is absolutely brutal on these local roads.

What do I need to know to swap out a windshield? Torque specs, tools, loctite, if so, which one?

Thanks!

Raining today, so maybe do something with it tomorrow.
post #10 of 18 Old Nov 6th, 2008, 9:29 am

I would say get rid of the OEM shield and try the CB #2 shield. I rode several weeks earlier this year with OEM and hated the noise and buffeting. I put the CB#2 shield on and was happy again. The #2 shield acts a lot like the lip and gives you a quiet zone. I can hear the radio better and get less buffeting. I also wear ear plugs.

If you get cold then I would say buy the #2 with wings. The one thing you will notice is you will get more of a draft on your neck and back with the #2 shield.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.
post #11 of 18 Old Nov 6th, 2008, 9:50 am

The gap at the bottom of the shield is to help with pressure on the shield. You will find if you tape that off you may cause to much pressure on the front of the shield and it may break the supports. The wind coming up the back of the shield is designed to follow the shield and offset some of the front pressure. It works like your lip.

If you notice the HD and GW have areas that allow air in around the handle bars to help offset the vacuum that those shields cause.

I also have an areoflow shield that I would be willing to sell you if you want to try one. It isn't a shield you would keep for ever but it would allow you to test if you like it. The areoflow shield is a shield you never look through. It didn't work well for me and the wife but others lover them. They give you great protection.

Look at the lip website and you will see how it works. The windshield is designed a lot the same way. I would say a deflector may help but don't put up a solid screen across the opening at the bottom. Also I always drive with my winds under the mirrors fully extended.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.
post #12 of 18 Old Nov 6th, 2008, 12:20 pm Thread Starter

Thank you for that piece of info. I had just sealed off the bottom of the shield with some armorflex insulation just half an hour ago, so I guess I will go take it off and not risk breaking the shield. Having thought about it, I removed half of it, see what happens. The leaves are all over and very wet, so too risky for any ride today.

I just spoke with Mr. Ortiz and Christine at Aeroflow. Very knowledgeable on this issue with first hand experience on the LT.

http://www.aeroflowscreens.com/K1200LT.htm

They use a laminar plate which follows the angle of the windshield keeping the proper back pressure. That would run $350 for a demo unit, and another six months of payments.....but, if it solved all the other problems, that would be worth it to me.

Anyone have any comments on the Aeroflow compared to the stock BMW shields? Anyone have an Aeroflow "tall", sitting around?

Anyone know of any wind tunnel videos showing how the air is deflected with various shields?

I am still struggling to pay for gas and ongoing health expenses, so $350 at this point may not be doable, but does sound like something I may want to try. It would also save the $60 I need to replace the OEM windshield clip covers.

Thanks!
post #13 of 18 Old Nov 6th, 2008, 1:44 pm

I have the BMW short shield and and my wife and I both wear a Nolan 102s. I have a boom mike and helmet speakers and have no problems with excess noise with the visor flipped up or down. I usually ride with the shield about 1/2 way down unless the wife is on or it is raining. Then I raise it all the way. I find the flexible chin shield on the Nolan helps keep the noise down. Were you using the chin shield?

Bruce

Bruce Buchner
2017 R1200RT Platinum Bronze Metallic
2012 R1200RT Fluid Grey Metallic (Little Girl) Traded on the 2017 RT
2007 K1200LT Storm Grey Metallic (Big Girl) Traded on the 2017 RT
2001 325XI 4dr Sold
1967 2000CS Coupe (Left it in Germany)
post #14 of 18 Old Nov 6th, 2008, 1:55 pm

Cee-Baileys #2
post #15 of 18 Old Nov 6th, 2008, 2:01 pm Thread Starter

I don't use the chin covers on any of the helmets. I like to ride with my visor up, in which case there is very little air noise. With the visor down, it is much louder, the Nolan was second best of the three I tested. If my legs fit the rest of my body, I would be about 6'6".

I have a pair of over glasses which works great over my trifocals, but it was getting too cold to ride with the visor up. And, I don't like wearing ear plugs unless I am expecting a long ride.

My problem is noise around my ears and the top of the helmet. After three helmets, I realized it was the shield, not the helmets. There was no noise standing on the pegs with the OEM tall shield all the way down using the HJC, which I am now exchanging for their modular.

I rode a small Honda with a tiny windshield this summer. After that experience, I thought the BMW was great, until I stood over the shield last evening, and had NO noise.

The BMW stock shields are now $400!

Looking at maybe a Ztechnik for $200, which is still a long shot for this year any more. Local dealer parts man says he does not know of anyone that has used that particular shield. http://shop.ztechnik.com/cgi-bin/ztech/series.html

I like the look more so than the Aeroflow...and will keep an eye out for pre-owned shields.
post #16 of 18 Old Nov 6th, 2008, 3:08 pm

Talking Re: LT windshield noise & 3 helmets tested-HELP!

The problem is the windshield and your torso height, I have terrible luck with most BMW motorcycles they have terrible windshields, I ride with mine down all the time until it gets cold and then raise it only when I have to.
post #17 of 18 Old Nov 6th, 2008, 3:11 pm

I do have a tall Aeroflow windshield, I took it off because it drove me crazy, I cannot stand looking thru a shield all the time. If it will work for you you can have it for $125.00 plus shipping. Kieth my bike is a 99
post #18 of 18 Old Nov 6th, 2008, 3:43 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

I've been all through this on the LT and tried every shield out there, as well as every combination of add-on lips and custom cuts. Save yourself the time, trouble, and expense and listen to the overwhelming advice from those of us who have tried it all already.

Get a Cee bailey #2 screen. Go for -2" if you're tall and/or like tall windshields, or -4" if you like lower windshields. The wings are a nice addition in colder weather, but not strictly necessary.

My #2 -2" on the LT was quite simply the quietest windshield I've ever had on a bike. I could actually have smoked behind that windshield, if I had wanted to. Without it, my wife instantly knew whenever we hit 50 mph. With it, she'd literally have to ask "how fast are we going now?"

And yes, the bottom cut is to help smooth the airflow behind the windshield and eliminate excessive back pressure. The AeroFlow laminar plate has a similar effect, but I just couldn't get used to the bubble distortion on that screen so it came off rather quickly. To be fair, Paige makes a great product and I love his screen on my GT, but I just didn't like it on the LT.

As far as changing windshields, the only tricky part is getting the silver/chrome covers off. Remember to keep those and the underlying metal plates in the right orientation, and tighten the screws firmly but do not over-tighten them or it will crack the windshield. And never use any form of Loctite or similar on those screws, as the chemical fumes will react with the plastic and cause cracking.

But trust me and countless others here - the Cee Bailey #2 screen will solve your problems.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in