Battery Drain - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old Nov 5th, 2008, 12:48 pm Thread Starter

Battery Drain

2005 LT, with 4 month old Odyssy battery. Keeps draining if the bike is not used over a period of a week or so. Went out today and she was dead again. Measured the battery in the idle state and it read 11.4 volts. Turned the ignition on and it dropped to 10.75 which was not enough to turn the starter sufficiently to start the bike. I took all the fuses out one at a time whilst measuring the voltage across the battery and there was no change in the reading. Ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old Nov 5th, 2008, 1:17 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Battery Drain

Obviously there's something causing the drain. Turning the key too far counter clockwise, thus the parking lamp is lit? Do you have a farkle that's hot wired to the battery? Anything new added that draws current? Is this something new or did the 4 month old battery replace another that was worn out for the same reason? Short of measuring the current draw, that's all I can think of.

Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #3 of 27 Old Nov 5th, 2008, 1:24 pm

You could have a bad cell in the battery. It should read more then 12 volts. Take it out and charge it then have it tested at the auto store.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.

post #4 of 27 Old Nov 5th, 2008, 4:49 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I believe your battery should be above 12.6 volts, just like a 6 volt battery should be above 6.3 volts.

If I remember Ohm's Law correctly:
V=IR
Voltage equals current times resistance
Voltage = AmpOhms

My guess is that your test assumed a current drain sufficient to drop the voltage by more than 1 volt.

You are probably looking for something with very low current drain and low resistance.

Something that draws a little or lower current as your parking light?

Bob 00LT

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #5 of 27 Old Nov 5th, 2008, 5:36 pm
LGW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa
Something that draws a little or lower current as your parking light?

Bob 00LT
Perhaps the vanity light in the rear top case ?

Les
post #6 of 27 Old Nov 5th, 2008, 5:56 pm
Super Moderator

A year ago I was experienceing the same thing - same battery - talked to the west coast distributor. Was trying to get a warranty for a battery that would not hold a charge.

He said take the battery out of the bike and place it on a car charger over night with a hard charge - nothing else connected the the battery. Next morning and for the past 12 monhts not a problem. Even left the bike out in St. George, UT for over a month and started up with no problems. .

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #7 of 27 Old Nov 5th, 2008, 8:18 pm

I read somewhere that parasitic battery drainage is reduced (from the clock, etc) if you lock the fork with the key in the "off" position.

That said, I rarely leave my bike like this in the garage - I'm ususally on the center stand, and my voltage will drop from 12.6 ish, to 12.4 ish in 3 days. I ride almost daily, so this is not really an issue for me.

Conversely, drainage is much less with the fork locked in the "off" position.

2005 Kawasaki Z750S
1999 BMW K1200LT
1972 Honda CL350

BMWMOA # 139202
post #8 of 27 Old Nov 6th, 2008, 2:27 am Thread Starter

No farkles added, and definately no vanity or parking lights left on. When the bike is given a trickle charge over a few days its fine and starts first time.

M
post #9 of 27 Old Nov 7th, 2008, 7:29 pm

I've got the same bike (2005), the same battery (Odyssey) with exactly the same problem.

If it sits 1-3 days, it starts fine. After that, it gets dicey. 5-7 days, probably won't start.

I've got a Battery Tender which I connect if I'm not going to ride for more than a few days. It takes about 3-4 hours to get charged.

I'm planning on attacking this problem this weekend (I'm handy with a meter), so I'll let you know if I find anything.

I'll certainly try charging the battery off the bike. I have a 5 amp charger somewhere - I'll have to dig it up.

mike p
2005 BMW K1200LT (got it in July 2007)
2002 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-12R (parked next to the LT)
1982 Suzuki GS-750EZ (paid $500
for it in 1985, sold it for $450 in 2000)
1978 Honda CB-500F (sold in 1980)
1976 Honda CB-400F (drowned to
death in the blizzard of 1978 in Boston)
post #10 of 27 Old Nov 9th, 2008, 4:23 pm

I have the same problem on my 99 with an Odyssey. The battery is 5 years old and I have been told they dont last much more than that.

Maybe the age of the battery is the common denominator here?

Thanks

Steve A
post #11 of 27 Old Nov 10th, 2008, 4:46 pm

I have a 2 month old Odessy and it just sat for 3 days and would not start. Charged for 2 hours and worked fine. When I disconnect the battery and let the radio reset, which is often, I get a spark like something is connected. After it's connected my alarm beeps and is set. Could that be the drain? Maybe I didn't turn it all the way to lock the handlebars. Could that do it? That's the first time it has sat for that long and not been cranked. Kind of unexpected......
post #12 of 27 Old Nov 12th, 2008, 3:27 am Thread Starter

Right, I may have come across something suspicious associated with the drain. With everything turned off I heard a repeating whirring noise that lasted about 2 seconds and repeated every 15 seconds or so. It was not happening all the time incidentally. I tracked the sound down to the radio/single CD unit. It has no power on and no light coming from the CD unit but it sounded like it was trying to load a CD. Anyone experience this before or propose a solution to stop this happening. Incidentally in reply to a previous mails the battery is well under a year old.
post #13 of 27 Old Nov 12th, 2008, 4:01 am

It is a known issue with the 1999 and 2000 models. Never heard of it happening with anything newer than that. The fix is to replace the radio unit. I hope that yours is still under warranty.

Turn the radio off before turning off the bike to see if it helps. Sometimes, turning the radio off with the ignition leaves power to it somehow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmoloney
Right, I may have come across something suspicious associated with the drain. With everything turned off I heard a repeating whirring noise that lasted about 2 seconds and repeated every 15 seconds or so. It was not happening all the time incidentally. I tracked the sound down to the radio/single CD unit. It has no power on and no light coming from the CD unit but it sounded like it was trying to load a CD. Anyone experience this before or propose a solution to stop this happening. Incidentally in reply to a previous mails the battery is well under a year old.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT - Sold December 2019
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #14 of 27 Old Nov 12th, 2008, 11:57 am

True on the radio. If I dont put the key in the "locked position," I can still operate the radio.

2005 Kawasaki Z750S
1999 BMW K1200LT
1972 Honda CL350

BMWMOA # 139202
post #15 of 27 Old Nov 13th, 2008, 8:11 am

I too have an 05 LT and have been experiencing the same problem for over 6 months. It started happening almost overnight. Took it to the dealer (under warranty) they said nothing wrong, get a new battery. I did get a new battery. Four days after not riding it new battery dead. Now of course bike is not under warranty. I checked all lights etc. but have been dumb founded. If anyone figures this out please reply.
post #16 of 27 Old Nov 16th, 2008, 6:45 am

I have the same issue on my '05. It started a few months ago and it has greatly curbed my riding. I first thought it was the battery and was about to replace it when I started testing it and found the the battery was in good shape. Since then I have been disconecting the battery after every time I ride. I used a test light attached between the disconnected ground wire and the negative battery post. I then pulled each fuse under the seat one by one to see if I could find where the draw was coming from with no luck.
I have noticed that when I reconnect the battery the radio comes on for about 2 seconds (This is with the key switch off). The forward right speaker doesn't work when the system is on when the bike is running but when the bike is off and switches off I have heard static from the that speaker. Yesterday I put the bike on a charger with the battery connected and I heard feedback coming out of that speaker.
Today I plan to look for a fuse for the audio system so I can try to isolate that system. I feel that there is a relay that is shorting out and not alowing the system to operate properly. I'll post any of my findings.
Dave

Dave Fuchs
2005 K1200LT
2001 R1200C (wife's)
1985 KLR 250
2002 John Deere 4110
1946 Piper J-3
IBA# 42191
post #17 of 27 Old Nov 16th, 2008, 9:04 am

I just had this happen to me yesterday. I ride an 05 and usually ride at least 2-3 days a week. I went to start her up yesterday morning for a Toy Run and DEAD! We hit some cold weather and I was sick last week and didn't start her for 7 days. However, I removed the CD Changer two weeks ago and installed the DICE unit. Haven't connected my IPOD yet. Could just the DICE unit pull any juice? Or does it have to have the IPOD connected to draw?

Went to the Int'l Motorcycle Show downtown last night and no problems except on the ride back in the dark I lost my dash lights for about 10 seconds. Kinda weird. Related?

Syd
Dallas, Texas
'05 K1200LT Graphite ( Big E's former ride )
post #18 of 27 Old Nov 16th, 2008, 1:28 pm Thread Starter

Coincidentally I have a DICE fitted also. The plot thickens.

Mark
post #19 of 27 Old Nov 16th, 2008, 1:34 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydvicioustx
I just had this happen to me yesterday. I ride an 05 and usually ride at least 2-3 days a week. I went to start her up yesterday morning for a Toy Run and DEAD! We hit some cold weather and I was sick last week and didn't start her for 7 days. However, I removed the CD Changer two weeks ago and installed the DICE unit. Haven't connected my IPOD yet. Could just the DICE unit pull any juice? Or does it have to have the IPOD connected to draw?

Went to the Int'l Motorcycle Show downtown last night and no problems except on the ride back in the dark I lost my dash lights for about 10 seconds. Kinda weird. Related?
What is a DICE unit?

Did you perhaps ride under a very bright street light? My thought is maybe you fooled the light sensor into thinking it was daylight again and turning off the dash lights momentarily.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #20 of 27 Old Nov 16th, 2008, 5:13 pm

I also have a Dice unit!!! It dosen't work most times but I think thats because of the radio not being worth a [email protected]*%.... I have mine with the key in the locked position and will see in just a little while if it will crank. I'll let you know later.
post #21 of 27 Old Nov 16th, 2008, 8:54 pm

Not enough juice to crank it. It's sat for 3 full days and now it will not start. Oh well.
post #22 of 27 Old Nov 17th, 2008, 7:49 am

In my post I forgot to say that it seems like my problems started after I disconnected my CD changer and installed my DICE unit. I do unplug the Dice unit when not using it and it doesn't seem to make any difference. It sure sounds like there's a connection here.
post #23 of 27 Old Nov 17th, 2008, 5:59 pm

I'm thinking about taking my radio out and replacing it with a marine radio of a much better quility. I don't know what will happen with the intercom. Most likely it will not work. I know the handle bar control won't work. OH well..
post #24 of 27 Old Nov 17th, 2008, 6:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydvicioustx

Weird but this also happened to me after a Dice install on an '05. I thought the battery was bad and replaced it with an Odyssey. Its been on a charger ever since but I might taker it off to see what happens.

Jim

Jim in Dublin, OH

2005 - LT Ocean Blue (Catuffalo - Part Cat / Part Buffalo)
2002 - Moto Guzzi Cal Spec Sport
2000 - Moto Guzzi V11 Sport
post #25 of 27 Old Dec 15th, 2008, 3:49 am Thread Starter

Re: Battery Drain - Needs to be resolved

Ok, I am getting real pi**ed off with coming out to the bike some days to find the battery dead. This is still a big problem for some owners and is unresolved. Can we all have another brainstorming session to see if a solution can be found. I am still hearing an occasional whirring sound coming from the radio/cd unit when the bike is powered off and suspect this is what is draining the battery over a few days. A common denominator maybe the fact that a lot of bikes suffering from this have the DICE unit installed.

Stats: 2005 LT, New Odyssey battery, Dice unit installed. Battery drains after 3 or so days if the bike is not used.

Thanks
Mark
post #26 of 27 Old Dec 15th, 2008, 4:06 am
Lifetime Supporter

I got through a few batteries due to this.
The cure for me was;
Leave the bike in steering lock position before removing key. Just don't go too far and leave the parking light on.
Also get a battery tender for lay ups of more than 4 weeks.
My BMW battery will last 5 weeks this way if I am lucky. If it is not in steering lock position - 2 days!

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #27 of 27 Old Dec 15th, 2008, 9:57 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Battery Drain - Needs to be resolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmoloney
A common denominator maybe the fact that a lot of bikes suffering from this have the DICE unit installed.

Stats: 2005 LT, New Odyssey battery, Dice unit installed. Battery drains after 3 or so days if the bike is not used.

Thanks
Mark
I have heard this as well - easy to eliminate it. Just unplug the Dice for a few days and see. I think you find it is the cause.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in