Need some expertise/guidance - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old Nov 4th, 2008, 6:57 pm Thread Starter

Need some expertise/guidance

After 30 years away from bikes, a few months ago I bought a Suzuki Bandit 1200. Not what I wanted, even when I bought it, but it has been a fine re-entry bike for me. I intend to hang onto it as my "1-up", "around-town" bike. It is a lousy 2-up bike and 2-up riding has become very big with my lady & I.

I have found a '98 LT at an Atlanta BMW dealership. It looks pretty good, I've ridden it all of ten minutes and whatever can be learned from such a brief ride, it felt pretty good - my lady loved it! The dealer told me today, once they replace a sticky clutch cable, my lady and I can take it on a 100+- mile trip into Georgia mountains to get a better feel for it. Asking $6,500.

It has 110,000 miles. Alot of miles, but I would expect the engine to keep going for another 100,000. Yes? No? Does the bike have too many miles to spend $6,500 on it? What do I look for in learning about this bike? And with regard to ascertaining the state of the transmission, rear-end, clutch, other components on the bike, how do I go about investigating them? Naturally, I would want to see receipts for any repairs, replacements, rebuilds, and I think I might also like to authenticate those receipts. But what about components that haven't been replaced-rebuilt-repaired? How do I look into them?

What would make any of you comfortable in buying a ten year old (eleven?) LT with 110,000 miles? Would you? Would you pay $6,500? If not, what would you pay? What would you want the dealership to provide on this bike before you bought it from them?

Last edited by csheim; Nov 4th, 2008 at 7:05 pm. Reason: Need to add a sentence or two
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old Nov 4th, 2008, 7:39 pm

Re: Need some expertise/guidance

Service records would be key with that kind of mileage. They will run a long time if well maintained. However for a minimal amount(if any) more I would think you should be able to step up to a K1200LT. And I would think the mileage would be quite a bit lower.
If the K11LT is the one you decide on, check the records and beat them down on price. Good luck!
post #3 of 29 Old Nov 4th, 2008, 7:44 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoticalone
Service records would be key with that kind of mileage. They will run a long time if well maintained. However for a minimal amount(if any) more I would think you should be able to step up to a K1200LT. And I would think the mileage would be quite a bit lower.
If the K11LT is the one you decide on, check the records and beat them down on price. Good luck!
Did you mean to say, "I would think you should be able to step up to a K1100LT"?

post #4 of 29 Old Nov 4th, 2008, 7:44 pm

Hello csheim

I am not sure what model BMW you are talking about ,but the k1200lt came out in 1999 . Look on E bay to get a feel for what they could sell for .
I got my k1200lt off Ebay sight unseen ,asked the seller a few questions and sent a $500 deposit and drove down to pick it up ,it was as he described it .
2 years ago 99 K1200LT with 34k miles for $7200.
No real problems in 26K miles and 2 yrs ,it is a GREAT bike !
With the information from this sight cost of maintenance is not bad at all

Bob G
post #5 of 29 Old Nov 4th, 2008, 7:46 pm Thread Starter

Hmmm... this is indeed a k1200LT and the dealer/salesman told me me it was a 1998. Can't be? He has to be wrong on the year?
post #6 of 29 Old Nov 4th, 2008, 7:47 pm

For a little more money I would look for a 2005 Lt. Improved suspension and the automatic center stand. be patient and you will be rewarded. Your lady will love it.
post #7 of 29 Old Nov 4th, 2008, 7:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by csheim
Did you mean to say, "I would think you should be able to step up to a K1100LT"?
I am sure there are quite a few that like the old K11LT's better. I guess it is all a matter of taste and what you are looking for. The K11LT K12LT could become quite a debate.
post #8 of 29 Old Nov 4th, 2008, 7:49 pm

Quote:
Hmmm... this is indeed a k1200LT and the dealer/salesman told me me it was a 1998. Can't be? He has to be wrong on the year?
I had assumed since it was a 98 it was a K11LT thereby my original post. Looking at their site they appear to have a 1999 with around that many miles. Is it the champagne one? May want to check this one out. Not too far a drive and a lot lower mileage http://bham.craigslist.org/mcy/902181704.html

Last edited by knoticalone; Nov 4th, 2008 at 7:58 pm. Reason: Add to post
post #9 of 29 Old Nov 4th, 2008, 8:00 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
I had assumed since it was a 98 it was a K11LT thereby my original post. Looking at their site they appear to have a 1999 with around that many miles. Is it the champagne one? May want to check this one out. Not too far a drive and a lot lower mileage http://bham.craigslist.org/mcy/902181704.html
Yes! In fact it is! the champagne LT.
post #10 of 29 Old Nov 4th, 2008, 8:25 pm

Quote:
Yes! In fact it is! the champagne LT.
looks nice in the pics. Appears to have the CB but can't tell about any other goodies. Definitely need to work on the price as i assume they will add fees and tax. Good luck and hope to see you on the rode as we are practically neighbors (especially by LT standards)
post #11 of 29 Old Nov 4th, 2008, 8:31 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Also the clutch is hydraulic on the LT - no cable. Might have actually been built in 98 as my 05 was built in 04.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 29 Old Nov 4th, 2008, 8:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Also the clutch is hydraulic on the LT - no cable. Might have actually been built in 98 as my 05 was built in 04.
Definitely hydraulic clutch. Stiill should be classified as a 99.

A few other things to note when taking her out for a while.
There is a "buzz" that occurs at around 4500RPM. Normal.
If it is on the side stand, it may smoke. Normal.
The K12LT, and maybe all BMW's, make some unusual sounds. A lot of them normal.
Very top heavy at slow speeds especially 2 up. A joy once moving!
When using the front brake, keep the wheel straight.
Read the instructions on how to pick one up. Almost everyone drops one sometime. Good to know how to get the rubber down again.
I see all this stuff referred to as "features".

Anything you want or need to know is somewhere on this site. It has saved me a ton in the little time I have been using it.
post #13 of 29 Old Nov 4th, 2008, 9:30 pm

csheim,

Was the bike at Blue Moon cycles? I was just in there and they have a '99 champaign LT for $6900. I thought it only had about 34k on it. If that's not the one you saw, you ought to go take a look at that one.

Ron
post #14 of 29 Old Nov 4th, 2008, 11:50 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
May want to check this one out. Not too far a drive and a lot lower mileage http://bham.craigslist.org/mcy/902181704.html
I followed the craigslist link you offered. Looks like, for not too much more money, to completely eliminate my hee-bee-gee-bees about the 110,000 miles. Thanks.
post #15 of 29 Old Nov 4th, 2008, 11:58 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalny
For a little more money I would look for a 2005 Lt. Improved suspension and the automatic center stand. be patient and you will be rewarded. Your lady will love it.
I hear what you're saying, and I like what you're saying, but I just took a look on Atlanta Craigslist and I see a 2005 LT for $17,500. That's a little more than a little more... and that's a problem.
post #16 of 29 Old Nov 5th, 2008, 12:01 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Interesting. And indeed I did drive it, albeit for only about ten miles, and I didn't notice anything to complain about regarding a sticky clutch. Interesting.
post #17 of 29 Old Nov 5th, 2008, 12:02 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Definitely hydraulic clutch. Stiill should be classified as a 99.

A few other things to note when taking her out for a while.
There is a "buzz" that occurs at around 4500RPM. Normal.
If it is on the side stand, it may smoke. Normal.
The K12LT, and maybe all BMW's, make some unusual sounds. A lot of them normal.
Very top heavy at slow speeds especially 2 up. A joy once moving!
When using the front brake, keep the wheel straight.
Read the instructions on how to pick one up. Almost everyone drops one sometime. Good to know how to get the rubber down again.
I see all this stuff referred to as "features".

Anything you want or need to know is somewhere on this site. It has saved me a ton in the little time I have been using it.
Very good tips. Thank you!
post #18 of 29 Old Nov 5th, 2008, 12:07 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRon
csheim,

Was the bike at Blue Moon cycles? I was just in there and they have a '99 champaign LT for $6900. I thought it only had about 34k on it. If that's not the one you saw, you ought to go take a look at that one.

Ron
No. BMW Motorcycles of Atlanta.

Yowee! A 99 for $6.9K with 34K miles? I will take a look at it. Thank you.
post #19 of 29 Old Nov 5th, 2008, 12:14 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbob
Hello csheim

I am not sure what model BMW you are talking about ,but the k1200lt came out in 1999 . Look on E bay to get a feel for what they could sell for .
I got my k1200lt off Ebay sight unseen ,asked the seller a few questions and sent a $500 deposit and drove down to pick it up ,it was as he described it .
2 years ago 99 K1200LT with 34k miles for $7200.
No real problems in 26K miles and 2 yrs ,it is a GREAT bike !
With the information from this sight cost of maintenance is not bad at all

Bob G
Actually Bob, I'm pleased you've brought up eBay. Indeed I look on eBay a whole lot at bikes. Have for quite awhile. Specifically as it pertains to buying cars off eBay, I've read some real horror stories and have assumed buying a motorcycle off eBay would be every bit as perilous. Glad to hear of a positive buying experience. I'll give it more thought. If I extend my range out 150-200 miles, it certainly offers a larger market of LTs.
post #20 of 29 Old Nov 5th, 2008, 11:54 am
Lifetime Supporter

Did you scan our site?
http://www.bmwlt.com/classifieds/showcat.php/cat/14
I'd pass on 100K miles.
Bob 00 LT

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #21 of 29 Old Nov 5th, 2008, 12:57 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Actually Bob, I'm pleased you've brought up eBay. Indeed I look on eBay a whole lot at bikes. Have for quite awhile. Specifically as it pertains to buying cars off eBay, I've read some real horror stories and have assumed buying a motorcycle off eBay would be every bit as perilous. Glad to hear of a positive buying experience. I'll give it more thought. If I extend my range out 150-200 miles, it certainly offers a larger market of LTs.
I bought each of my 3 LTs on eBay and I got what I bargained for. Bikes were as advertised and I have been very happy with each one. I got my 05 with 10k miles almost 2 years ago for less than $15k, so the bike you saw on Craigslist is way overpriced. A decent 05 would be around $13-14K.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #22 of 29 Old Nov 5th, 2008, 3:01 pm

I have an 02 LTC with over 115k miles on it, i bought it new in oct 02.

It runs better than new...AFTER I just spent 3 grand on it during the last service, included the 110k service (replaces/checks everything), ohlins removal and rebuild, front forks rebuilt (blew a seal).

all I can say is wow, it runs better than it ever has, including the ride.

However, all this stuff needed attention before I spent the money. That would be my big Q when looking at high mile bikes...these things will run forever IF they have the preventive maintenance, checks and services. all my work is dealer-done (except tires and oil, minor problems).

Having said all that, I do not think my bike is worth 6500 bucks. My buds always seem to buy my stuff because they know it is maintained (but on the open market I think thats too much). Thats' (maint) a big if cost-wise on these bikes IMHO.

good luck on your search, having visited here I think you will double your bike for just a little more money
post #23 of 29 Old Nov 5th, 2008, 7:39 pm

csheim,

I had to go back down to Blue moon cycles today to pick up a friends bike for him and I looked at the LT they have for sale. It is, indeed, a '99 with only 34,000 miles on it for $6900. It looks in emaculate shape.

Ron
post #24 of 29 Old Nov 6th, 2008, 9:22 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldbikin
I have an 02 LTC with over 115k miles on it, i bought it new in oct 02.

all I can say is wow, it runs better than it ever has, including the ride.

Having said all that, I do not think my bike is worth 6500 bucks. Thats' (maint) a big if cost-wise on these bikes IMHO.
Very good input from you. Thank you.
post #25 of 29 Old Nov 6th, 2008, 9:26 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRon
csheim,

I had to go back down to Blue moon cycles today to pick up a friends bike for him and I looked at the LT they have for sale. It is, indeed, a '99 with only 34,000 miles on it for $6900. It looks in emaculate shape.

Ron
In fact, today I went and had a look-see at this bike myself. Almost immaculate. At some point, it was dropped - very low speed or stopped. It was caught by the pieces designed by BMW to protect an LT going over. The horizontal chrome trim on one of the side bags is a little buggered up as a result of this drop, but that's minor. Otherwise, indeed the bike looks pretty darn good. Thanks for the tip.
post #26 of 29 Old Nov 6th, 2008, 9:32 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
I bought each of my 3 LTs on eBay and I got what I bargained for. Bikes were as advertised and I have been very happy with each one. I got my 05 with 10k miles almost 2 years ago for less than $15k, so the bike you saw on Craigslist is way overpriced. A decent 05 would be around $13-14K.
I appreciate your input on your LT buying experience on eBay. I have considered it an indispensable source of "ballparking" prices on this bike or that bike, but because of my phobia about auction bikes, I've never considered it to be a doable option to actually buy one from eBay. Again, I appreciate your input.
post #27 of 29 Old Nov 6th, 2008, 9:33 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa
Did you scan our site?
http://www.bmwlt.com/classifieds/showcat.php/cat/14
I'd pass on 100K miles.
Bob 00 LT
I have, and I will continue to do so. And yes, the 100k miles makes me nervous in the service too.
post #28 of 29 Old Nov 7th, 2008, 10:14 am

My 2 cents is, pass on a bike with over 100,000 miles at that price.

Keep looking. I used this site's classifieds, and ebay, and a couple of other websites to keep track of price/mileage/features/value, and I found the one I wanted after a couple of months. I saw it as soon as it was listed and called the owner that morning, sent a deposit that afternoon.

When you know what you want and see it at the right price, you can make the decision in a heartbeat.

I drove a 1999 K1200LT and a 2005 K1200LT prior to my purchase, did not see much difference performance-wise. The 2005 does have the hydraulic centerstand, which is the one thing I would want (I purchased an '02 K1200LT with less than 5k miles for about $10k) that I don't have.

Peter
2002 K1200LTE (July 4, 2008)-"Dragonfly"
1984 Goldwing Aspencade-"The Mighty Pickle" (think of Arlo Guthrie)
1982 Yamaha Maxim 750-"Little Pickle" (sometimes "Gherkin")
1980 Honda 750 Four-utilitarian, classic
1978 Honda 450 Four-took it apart, couldn't put it back together...
1976 Suzuki GT 250-2 stroke screamer
post #29 of 29 Old Nov 7th, 2008, 10:51 am

Quote:
If it is indeed a 99 K1200LT there is no clutch cable, it is hydraulic... Does he know what he is talking about?

Garry

Follow my South America ride at

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in