Cupholder - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 6:17 pm Thread Starter

Cupholder

Just got my shipment in today of a cupholder I saw on Ebay. No it is not the acrylic one that straps to the oddment case(discussed in another thread). It mounts on the left hand grip mount. I was concerned as I have the CB on that side but for $40 it was worth a shot (beats $150 plus). I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. Went on in under 5 minutes and looks great. Nice to have a reasonable alternative.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 016.jpg
Views:	696
Size:	627.6 KB
ID:	20416   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 013.jpg
Views:	868
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	20417  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 7:52 pm

Re: Cupholder

Got a link? A specific item name or description? Thanks.

Ron
post #3 of 34 Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 7:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by captron4601
Got a link? A specific item name or description? Thanks.

Ron
Just paid for mine. The guy only has two (2) left. Nice buy at under $50.00.

Here is the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=330283151052

2003 Black
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
K1200LTC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Garmin 450
XM Radio
Video Camera Mount
Fender Mount Driving Lights
Autocom Super Pro AVi
Saddlebag LED Lights

Bakup Backrest
Grip Puppies
VStream Windscreen
Muth Mirrors
2008 Bushtec

post #4 of 34 Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 8:08 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood
Just paid for mine. The guy only has two (2) left. Nice buy at under $50.00.

Here is the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=330283151052
Does it block your view of the instruments when you have say a can of soda in it? I couldn't tell from the pictures on ebay as the angles all appeared to be from one side or the other and not straight-on from the riders position.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #5 of 34 Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 8:11 pm Thread Starter

That is the one. He asked me to send a couple pics of mine with the CB. looks like they made it into the ad! My bike is famous now. Man that ice cold Yuengling sitting in the holder looks good, might have to have one.
post #6 of 34 Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 8:17 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
Does it block your view of the instruments when you have say a can of soda in it? I couldn't tell from the pictures on ebay as the angles all appeared to be from one side or the other and not straight-on from the riders position.
I just mounted mine tonight. Here are a couple pics with drinks in it from a slight angle. With a can in it while sitting it does not block anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 019.jpg
Views:	1297
Size:	636.3 KB
ID:	20418   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 020.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	629.8 KB
ID:	20419  
post #7 of 34 Old Nov 9th, 2008, 1:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
Quick shipping on this item, only took two days to receive it.
It is very well constructed and took less than five mins to install.
It hols just about ever size of cup upto a big gulp!
Had my first ride with a hot cup of coffee in 30 years of riding!

Very good purchase!

2003 Black
K1200LTC

Garmin 450
XM Radio
Video Camera Mount
Autocom Super Pro AVi
Saddlebag LED Lights

Bakup Backrest
Grip Puppies
VStream Windscreen
Muth Mirrors
2008 Bushtec

post #8 of 34 Old Nov 9th, 2008, 6:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoticalone
I just mounted mine tonight. Here are a couple pics with drinks in it from a slight angle. With a can in it while sitting it does not block anything.
Nice chose of beverages. The bottle is very local for my area.
post #9 of 34 Old Nov 9th, 2008, 6:20 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Assume you could not use a tank bag with it?

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2017 KTM 350 EXC-F (single track monster)
2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun on the fire roads)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #10 of 34 Old Nov 9th, 2008, 6:41 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemmerbiker
Nice chose of beverages. The bottle is very local for my area.
I like it. Not a gourmet beer by any means, but a good beer. Just started getting it in Ga last week. Better than other domestics.
post #11 of 34 Old Nov 9th, 2008, 6:42 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickerbiker
Assume you could not use a tank bag with it?
I actually did this weekend. I use the BMW one made for the K12LT. No problems.
post #12 of 34 Old Nov 10th, 2008, 1:46 am
BMW Guru

This thread is about cup holders. If you want to insult each other then take it off line.

Enough already.

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #13 of 34 Old Nov 10th, 2008, 5:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoticalone
I actually did this weekend. I use the BMW one made for the K12LT. No problems.
Even during tight turns to the left, no interference with the tank bag?

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #14 of 34 Old Nov 10th, 2008, 7:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood
Quick shipping on this item, only took two days to receive it.
It is very well constructed and took less than five mins to install.
It hols just about ever size of cup upto a big gulp!
Had my first ride with a hot cup of coffee in 30 years of riding!

Very good purchase!
I don't know what I enjoyed more, the hot coffee on a cold morning ride, or the faces of the folks in the cars as they watched me sipping my hot beverage!

Love this LT!

2003 Black
K1200LTC

Garmin 450
XM Radio
Video Camera Mount
Autocom Super Pro AVi
Saddlebag LED Lights

Bakup Backrest
Grip Puppies
VStream Windscreen
Muth Mirrors
2008 Bushtec

post #15 of 34 Old Nov 10th, 2008, 11:37 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacolt
Even during tight turns to the left, no interference with the tank bag?
At full left turn, fully locked, it does touch the bag (barely). If it were loaded more , I am sure it would hit more.

When the handlebars are in the locked position, it does not touch the bag on my bike. I am sure that, again, would depend on how loaded it is. I usually use mine for a wallet,phone, set of gloves and a pair of sunglasses so it is not that full. Hope that helps some.
post #16 of 34 Old Mar 15th, 2012, 9:17 pm

Dude started making the cup holder again. Just got mine at www.1200ltcupholder.com he also sells on eBay. I love it!
post #17 of 34 Old Mar 16th, 2012, 8:11 am

Doubting Thomas here,
Even though other posters have said otherwise, it sure looks like it would interfere with something during extreme left turns. I visited the guys website, and from the angle in the one pic, it looks like it would hit the GPS mounted in front of the gauges.

Will try it anyway, and see for myself- just like Thomas did when Jesus told him to stick his finger in His wounds.

For the price, I could possibly mount it on my HD if it doesn't work on my LT.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #18 of 34 Old Mar 16th, 2012, 12:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke-em
Dude started making the cup holder again. Just got mine at www.1200ltcupholder.com he also sells on eBay. I love it!
Hey, Frank - are you the *Patent Pending* holder of this bracket invention, and also the eBay vendor? If so, I'm thinking it'd be nice if you'd sign up as one of our supporting vendors since you're marketing directly to the K1200LT crowd. Do you have any plans to adopt a mounting bracket for the K1600GT and GTL model BMWs??
post #19 of 34 Old Mar 16th, 2012, 1:34 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Hey, Frank - are you the *Patent Pending* holder of this bracket invention, and also the eBay vendor? If so, I'm thinking it'd be nice if you'd sign up as one of our supporting vendors since you're marketing directly to the K1200LT crowd. Do you have any plans to adopt a mounting bracket for the K1600GT and GTL model BMWs??
Dick,
If he isn't the same Frank he has the same first and last name.

From his WEB site: My name is Frank Ellering. I purchased a 2010 BMW K1200LT. My friend had a cup holder on his Gold Wing. I of course had to get one too. I went to the BMW dealer and inquired about a cup holder for my bike. They told me they could order "a real BMW" one and the price would be $153.00!

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #20 of 34 Old Mar 16th, 2012, 2:15 pm

The BMW K1200LT: on what other bike can you keep the RPMs up until she sings, lean her in the twisties until the pegs grind, ride her like you stole her, AND enjoy a hot cup of coffee all at the same time?
post #21 of 34 Old Mar 16th, 2012, 2:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker15
My name is Frank Ellering. I purchased a 2010 BMW K1200LT. My friend had a cup holder on his Gold Wing. I of course had to get one too. I went to the BMW dealer and inquired about a cup holder for my bike. They told me they could order "a real BMW" one and the price would be $153.00!
UH? Excuse me, I must have dozed off for a while, back in 2009. I thought that was the last year of the LT in the US. Did I miss anything else?

Tips
post #22 of 34 Old Mar 16th, 2012, 3:30 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Tips,
That was part of the reason I posted it, no 2010 that I know of either. I left out a bunch of other non interesting stuff. Nice that he is making a farkle but as Dick suggested maybe he should help out a little.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #23 of 34 Old Mar 16th, 2012, 4:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker15
Tips,
That was part of the reason I posted it, no 2010 that I know of either. I left out a bunch of other non interesting stuff. Nice that he is making a farkle but as Dick suggested maybe he should help out a little.
I figured you were on to the 2010 gaff, John. That one wouldn't slip by very many of the guys on this site. I was just glad to get to fire the first shot.

And actually, I think Frank's new cupholder may have some merit. It may be just the thing for a lot of guys. I will give him the benefit of the doubt and trust that he didn't know any other way to plug his new farkle, to the perfect audience. But thanks to Dick, he can probably understand that there is a better way.

Tips
post #24 of 34 Old Mar 16th, 2012, 6:05 pm

This is from a post I made in May of last year, I have been using this cupholder since before then, and have been using it constantly through now. I have used it for cold drinks on very hot days, and hot drinks on very cold days, it has NEVER fallen off or even thought about falling off. Yet is is a snap to remove when you don't need it. Plus it is out of the way and easy to access, and I doubt it would get near a tank bag...Cheap, and great product! (I'm a user, not the maker, seller, marketer, or commissioned sales!)
Oh, and no holes to drill or bolts to put on!

I bought a liquid caddy drink holder from Bass Pro online.
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...__SearchResults
This is actually a pretty incredible item for $20. It comes with 4 different attachment bases, one for a handlebar (2 sizes), one clip base, one velcro strap with rubber backing base, and the suction cup base. The holder is actually well made, with a machine screw attaching device for the cup holder to the base. The forum entry that I initally saw, the LT owner had snaked the velcro strap around the handle bar near the brake reservoir, I tried that, but couldn't get it to go, even at that I was less than impressed with the holder hanging from the handlebar. I later tried the suction cup base on my windshield. those suction cups hold on like gangbusters! Only problems were that it was kind of hokey when I wanted to raise or lower the windshield. Lastly I tried putting the suction cup base on the side of the "gas tank" This has worked out great. It doesn't interfere with my knee when I ride, it doesn't clank around on the handlebar, and I can put it on either side of the bike. Just a little spit on the suction cups, and IT DOES NOT FALL OFF! It is also damn easy to take off and put on. I do it a lot, and it still hangs on at all speeds. I like it, and it really works for me. the holder can also extend from the bottom, to make it deeper for long items like water bottles and my coffee cup. Pretty cool!
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/attachme...chmentid=27339
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/attachme...chmentid=27340

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
post #25 of 34 Old Mar 16th, 2012, 6:15 pm

Sorry the web address for the cupholder has changed,

http://www.basspro.com/Liquid-Caddy/...t/59725/143926
$22.99

http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/....aspx?a=133732
$11.97

These two are the same product.....Amazing price difference Huh?

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
post #26 of 34 Old Mar 17th, 2012, 6:15 pm

If you're willing to make your own bracket, the folding cupholder is common in runabout boats. Here's one for $10.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...splayErrorView

I haven't tried it myself, but migh be a next winter mod.....

BMWMOA member

Current rides:
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic BMW K1200LT
2002 Pearl Orange Honda VTX1800 Retro

Prior rides:
Suzuki GS425E (Australia)
Suzuki T250R (Australia)
post #27 of 34 Old Mar 18th, 2012, 7:28 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowie
If you're willing to make your own bracket, the folding cupholder is common in runabout boats. Here's one for $10.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...splayErrorView

I haven't tried it myself, but migh be a next winter mod.....
Looks very much like the cupholder in the original post of this thread. The "maker" of that holder states that he buys the holder and fabricates the mount. Maybe West is his source.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #28 of 34 Old Mar 18th, 2012, 12:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
Looks very much like the cupholder in the original post of this thread. The "maker" of that holder states that he buys the holder and fabricates the mount. Maybe West is his source.
Or Wally World - that's where I bought a couple of those holders. Haven't done anything with 'em yet - hope they haven't warped outta shape the past coupla years!
post #29 of 34 Old Mar 18th, 2012, 9:49 pm

Garage

just ordered mine from bass pro the other only had it in white .
I think if I spent over $50 for a cup holder I would just spend the $100 more
and get the BMW one .Still may get one but will try the suction cup one first.
Now if I could only get a Comm system and CB radio like in the pics I would be
happy , never had such a hard time to find the right parts.
Ernie

E.L. Buff
85 K100rt sold
09 K1200lt
90 K1
96 K1100rs
91 R100rt
post #30 of 34 Old Mar 19th, 2012, 7:50 am

The best cup holder for the LT is the BMW factory unit. As has been pointed out the price is NUTS! I use the factory holder that I bought through the classifieds on this site at a much reduced price. The bad news is that you might have to wait until one becomes available.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #31 of 34 Old Mar 19th, 2012, 7:56 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
The best cup holder for the LT is the BMW factory unit. As has been pointed out the price is NUTS! I use the factory holder that I bought through the classifieds on this site at a much reduced price. The bad news is that you might have to wait until one becomes available.

Loren
Mine lasted over 8 years and looked new when I sold it. Every 6,000 miles I cleaned it and oiled all moving parts, really! There must be at least a dozen... It always worked well and stayed out of the way unless in use. Definitely not cheep though.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #32 of 34 Old Mar 20th, 2012, 1:57 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbuff
just ordered mine from bass pro the other only had it in white .
I think if I spent over $50 for a cup holder I would just spend the $100 more
and get the BMW one .Still may get one but will try the suction cup one first.
Now if I could only get a Comm system and CB radio like in the pics I would be
happy , never had such a hard time to find the right parts.
Ernie

I happen to have a N.O.S. comm system still sitting in the box that I am willing to part with. I believe I also have an extra BMW cupholder that I am willing to sell.

Drop me a PM if interested.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #33 of 34 Old Mar 20th, 2012, 3:17 pm

PM sent re: cupholder

2007 K1200LT Hannigan- Blue
2012 R1200GS - Rallye
1973 R75/5 Toaster - Black
post #34 of 34 Old Mar 24th, 2012, 7:10 pm

buy the RAM mount set up. Much better and can be adjusted to multiple angles.

2003 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in