BMW Luxury Touring Community

BMW Luxury Touring Community (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/)
-   K1200LT (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/)
-   -   Well, I finally purchased an LT!!! (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/41892-well-i-finally-purchased-lt.html)

bowdon Nov 3rd, 2008 5:40 pm

Well, I finally purchased an LT!!!

Hi all;

I finally purchased a 2005 LT with 18,000 milles !!!
Seems all the services have been done including the 18K.

Has a few options I wanted like the comm system, j-pegs and a Russell drivers seat ( most likely add the passenger seat this winter!!). I am hopefully going to pick the bike up November 18, and will be riding it home!! ( weather permiting, its starting to get cold and wet here in the North!!!).

Any additional information on importing a bike from the US to Canada. Let me know if I am missing something.

I know I need the following to import into Canada: (US customs first,72 hours prior to crossing):

Here is what I took of the RIV website:

Motorcycles

Recall clearance letter
The vehicle must bear a manufacturers valid U.S. statement of compliance at the time of
importation
The Registrar of Imported Vehicles will mail a Canadian statement of compliance label to you
after passing the federal inspection.
Valid alpha-numeric 17-digit VIN
Metric speedometer and odometer labels (provided by inspection centre)
All Lights On

If anything else, please let me know. I don't want to make a mistake!! this late in the season!!!

Regards,
Bowdon
2005 K 1200 LT ( Gold) not yet in the garage!!!

Hollywood Nov 3rd, 2008 6:08 pm

Re: Well, I finally purchased an LT!!!

Enjoy your new LT!

phoneix Nov 3rd, 2008 6:09 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowdon
Hi all;

I finally purchased a 2005 LT with 18,000 milles !!!
Seems all the services have been done including the 18K.

Has a few options I wanted like the comm system, j-pegs and a Russell drivers seat ( most likely add the passenger seat this winter!!). I am hopefully going to pick the bike up November 18, and will be riding it home!! ( weather permiting, its starting to get cold and wet here in the North!!!).

Any additional information on importing a bike from the US to Canada. Let me know if I am missing something.

I know I need the following to import into Canada: (US customs first,72 hours prior to crossing):

Here is what I took of the RIV website:

Motorcycles

Recall clearance letter
The vehicle must bear a manufacturers valid U.S. statement of compliance at the time of
importation
The Registrar of Imported Vehicles will mail a Canadian statement of compliance label to you
after passing the federal inspection.
Valid alpha-numeric 17-digit VIN
Metric speedometer and odometer labels (provided by inspection centre)
All Lights On

If anything else, please let me know. I don't want to make a mistake!! this late in the season!!!

Regards,
Bowdon
2005 K 1200 LT ( Gold) not yet in the garage!!!

Congratulations Bowdon:
All you really need to cross the border is the legal title & of course as you know , the U.S customs must have a photo copy faxed to them at least 72 hrs prior to you showing up with the original title . Al they do is punch a hole through the original title , In my case nobody came out to see the bike . Of course you will need to pay the GST . As for the recall letter if you have it then all the better otherwise you can do it by mail after you get the bike home . Also I did not need to get any stickers for the speedo , the bike has KPH on the inside dial , unless there are different rules in Quebec. Good luck on riding it home , it could go either way weather wise
Rob D

knoticalone Nov 3rd, 2008 6:26 pm

Congrats on the the new LT. I am sure all the heated components will come in handy in the next few months! Enjoy your new ride.

itspossible Nov 3rd, 2008 7:08 pm

you'll need title, bill of sale with dollar amount
talk to your insurance company, they will cover you on your trip home if you provide them with the VIN number.

Could be chilly, bring a scarf for the neck

Ron

cfell Nov 3rd, 2008 8:51 pm

congrats! I hope the bike exceed your dreams...

bowdon Nov 4th, 2008 10:14 am

Phoneix;

Do you have a copy of what the recall clearence letter looks like? I was faxed a paper this morning by a dealer, he says this is it but on the top it says "Warrenty Vehicle Inquiry"

email me a copy of yours so I can see if its the same ( if you don't mind) PM is OK

Thanks in advance,

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoneix
Congratulations Bowdon:
All you really need to cross the border is the legal title & of course as you know , the U.S customs must have a photo copy faxed to them at least 72 hrs prior to you showing up with the original title . Al they do is punch a hole through the original title , In my case nobody came out to see the bike . Of course you will need to pay the GST . As for the recall letter if you have it then all the better otherwise you can do it by mail after you get the bike home . Also I did not need to get any stickers for the speedo , the bike has KPH on the inside dial , unless there are different rules in Quebec. Good luck on riding it home , it could go either way weather wise
Rob D

loansumrider Nov 4th, 2008 11:44 am

watch out for ice, black ice, drunks, deer, and police.

enjoy the ride and dress warm

gladiator99 Nov 4th, 2008 3:08 pm

Congratulations on your new ride!
You may have to take your bike to a Canadian BMW dealer to obtain a recall clearance letter. This will cost you $500.00. BMW Canada has convinced all US BMW dealers to not provide a recall letter under any circumstances to Canadian Buyers. This is BMW's way of trying to put up roadblocks to slow the tide of Canadians who want to get some better deals south of the border. I recently purchased an 06 KLT in Washington and like others before me I had to have a Canadain Dealer do a one minute inspection for $500.00 in order for me to obtain the recall letter. There are 2 different class action lawsuits against BMW, Mercedes and another manufacturer in regards to this extorsion fee that they are charging. Hope you can get a recall letter from the US dealer, but don't count on it.
Take Care.
Jim

bowdon Nov 4th, 2008 3:23 pm

Gladiator;

I received a letter " warrenty vehicle inquiry" which shows the info form that there is no open campaigns on this bike and what was done ( recall) and when it was done.the RIV said they might also accept this, it this works, I won't need a recall letter. ( wno't know till I try when I get back with the bike.

What does the recall letter look like? Could you email me a copy of what it looks like ( you can block out the info incase you a worried).

Regards,
Bowdon

Quote:

Originally Posted by gladiator99
Congratulations on your new ride!
You may have to take your bike to a Canadian BMW dealer to obtain a recall clearance letter. This will cost you $500.00. BMW Canada has convinced all US BMW dealers to not provide a recall letter under any circumstances to Canadian Buyers. This is BMW's way of trying to put up roadblocks to slow the tide of Canadians who want to get some better deals south of the border. I recently purchased an 06 KLT in Washington and like others before me I had to have a Canadain Dealer do a one minute inspection for $500.00 in order for me to obtain the recall letter. There are 2 different class action lawsuits against BMW, Mercedes and another manufacturer in regards to this extorsion fee that they are charging. Hope you can get a recall letter from the US dealer, but don't count on it.
Take Care.
Jim

gladiator99 Nov 5th, 2008 9:03 pm

Hi Bowdon!
Sorry but I can't send you a copy of the recall letter as I am away on a winter vacation and won't be back till early Feb. I think the letter that you have should do the trick. I couldn't even get a US dealer to print off a vehicle history report which I think is the same thing that you have..
The recall letter as I recall is very brief stating that there are no outstanding recalls for the following motorcycle vin # 123456789. I hope you can have them accept the letter as it does have the information that they require. Just tell them that this is the dealer confirmation that there are no outstanding recalls and that is all you can get. Will save you $500.00.
Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Take care, :bmw: :bmw:
Jim

rbots Nov 6th, 2008 5:04 pm

The fun has just begun !!

stapleford Nov 6th, 2008 5:59 pm

BOWTON,, congratulations on the new toy.

I too joined the BMW community this year 01 LT. My last hike was in your Quebec neighborhood and back in Minnesota JIT last week. Regarding winter storage, you may want to throw a cover on it and a battery trickle, charge if possible.

The K1200 handles like a dream, perfect technology, corners on a rail and smooth ride. All the power you will ever need, fantastic trip and day ride. Glad I didnt buy anything smaller. Have a good winter.. The Touring community has some great feedback and senior members with helpful direction. Welcome back to touring this spring cous, hey! Minnesota- Stapleford.