LT won't shift - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 9:50 pm Thread Starter

LT won't shift

I have a 2005 with 46000 km/30000 mi on it, I have owned it for about a week. Went to ride it (my second ride) and it would not go into any gear. In fact the shift lever flops up and down about two inches when I move it by hand - there is no resistance. I am new to this site, and have looked at what has been posted about other problems, but they don't seem to help.
Any ideas/suggestions? Oh, the nearest dealer is a 9 hour drive from me.

Al
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 10:13 pm

Re: LT won't shift

Common problem, your shift linkage is broken. Probably the ball joints in the linkage. I don't know how to connect you to a page on this, other than this way: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14823
But if you type in a search for shift linkage, you'll find all sorts of stuff. And when you get done with one page, look at the bottom and there will be more to choose from.
Your broken linkage is behind the foot peg mounting piece, I think about 5 allen screws will get you there. Costs about $60 to replace, but be sure you carry a spare set with you.
post #3 of 6 Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 11:07 pm Thread Starter

Thanks very much!

post #4 of 6 Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 11:56 pm

Wink Re: LT won't shift

Al, if you scroll down to the bottom of any thread on the list here you will see several others with the same type subject discussions. They are a quick way to find info without even needing to search sometimes!

There is at least one of them that will take you to a thread with a great article written by Mark Neblet linked to it by John Z.

I am going to try to attach the doc, but if it does not come through you should be able to find it easy enough by checking the other threads.

John
Attached Files
File Type: doc Shift Linkage.doc (355.0 KB, 73 views)

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 12:04 am

John,
Sure wished I'd seen that file before I broke mine in Sumpter this summer! Managed to get to Baker City in 3rd gear and got lucky enough to temporarily fix it there. Got real smart then and there, and carry a spare now.
post #6 of 6 Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 9:02 am

Talking Re: LT won't shift

Shoulda called or PM'd us Frank! we do get over to that side of the hill several times a year for business anyway.

FYI, that doc has been available in the files section of this site for several years now. Mark was one of our most regular contributers in the earlier days of the site. I'm pretty sure he is still around, but does not visit with the frequency he used to. He was responsible for a several of the CCR Tech Sessions also, and always ready to lend a hand to the newer members.

And I always carry spare shift linkage hardware with the LT! I had two episodes in the distant past before I carried. Have not had one since! But ain't it great how this machine will allow you to go from a stop all the way up to Hwy speeds in just 3rd gear?

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
John,
Sure wished I'd seen that file before I broke mine in Sumpter this summer! Managed to get to Baker City in 3rd gear and got lucky enough to temporarily fix it there. Got real smart then and there, and carry a spare now.

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in