First Test Ride on LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 1:45 pm Thread Starter
SEG

First Test Ride on LT

Yesterday, I test rode an '09 LT and it was absolutely fantastic. BMW of Manhattan threw me the keys in the morning and told me the tank was full. After about an hour, I picked up the wife for some 2-up riding, in the city and on the highway. I spent a lot of time on surface streets, looking for the pot-holed, traffic-filled roads which didn't take much effort, to test the bike's handling. I found the handling outstanding, even at slow speeds. Before the ride, I was thinking that the LT would be a bear to handle two up in the city, but I found the clutch so easy to modulate and such a silky smooth power band that was so linear and predictable, it made it a dream to handle. Earlier in the year, I test rode a GW and thought it was powerful and a good ride, but it didn't put a smile on my face like the LT did. Even the wife enjoyed the LT so now it's just a matter of coming up with enough $$$ for a down payment and keep the monthly payments manageable. I wish that BMW offered an extended warranty like Honda does for the GW. We ride about 12K a year and a motorcycle is our primary transportation when leaving Manhattan, as well as biweekly COSTCO runs. I may opt for a 2005 or later model if the '09 proves financially beyond our reach. I'll post some questions about accessories and things to be alert for, when considering a used LT. Thanks.
Scott
NYC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 4:00 pm

Re: First Test Ride on LT

You can buy a third party extended warrenty for the bike from a few sources. Also, if you buy a used bike with an existing factory warrenty you can still get the extended warrenty for it.
post #3 of 6 Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 4:51 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Yeah, the LT is a great two-up bike.

There are lots of gently used LTs out there which will save you a chunk of cash. Although I would put some of that saved cash into an extended warranty.

Check our Classifieds forum first.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 6 Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 6:06 pm Thread Starter
SEG

Recommendations for extended warranty?

Any recommendations for extended warranty? I've heard that Zurich offers extended warranty, as well as Bob's BMW in Jessup, MD. Anyone with experience dealing with a company they'd recommend? I understand that's it's a gamble, going with an extended warranty contract, and some would pass. However, I'd prefer knowing that I'd be covered, in the likely event there would be some expensive repairs. Appreciate the help.
Scott
NYC
post #5 of 6 Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 12:05 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Re: Recommendations for extended warranty?

Previous discussions on this topic have generally led to the conclusions that Pinnacle and Western Services are the two best extended warranty companies. This has been confirmed by those who have had to use their services, both dealers and riders. Costs can vary greatly, although getting the warranty when the bike is new, or at least when it has some factory warranty left is much cheaper.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 6 Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 6:50 pm

Seg -
Went the same route, but opt'ed for a used '07 LT with 6K miles. In fact, it was the dealer that found it for me!. That saved a bunch of cash that can go for trips, insurance, etc. It was a win-win for me and the dealer. He got a sale and the eventual maintenance and parts business. I got a bike I could afford.

RickG
'07 K1200 LT

'85 K100 RT
gift to friend

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in