Cost of Final Drive Repair - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 11:39 am Thread Starter

Cost of Final Drive Repair

So what does it cost to have you're final drive grind to a halt half way through a four day ride in the middle of no where 400 miles from home?

Bike K1200LT 2001 - 30750 miles.

Towing - $0 - BMWMOA - figured I needed this because of the final drive!
Rental Car & Gas Home - $150.00
Rental Car & Gas to Pick Up Bike - $150
Out of Pocket Repair Cost - $400.00
Over Night & Food - $100 - by the time you get out of the dealership it's 2PM. Who wants to slab it home through Oregon and N. Calif for eight hours when you can go on a Bigfoot hunt for a day and a half?

Total - $800.00 out of pocket after BMW allowance.
BMW Paid- $220 thanks but I'm not excited.

I don't make fun of Harley's anymore because...

Throttle Cable - broke on three day ride.
Shift Linkage - broke on a three day ride.
Final Drive - broke on a four day ride.

In fact every one of the BMW riders I ride with has experienced a bearing failure or a seal failure. It's not a question of if, it's a question of when.

MORAL OF THE STORY:
Put some money aside!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 11:48 am

Re: Cost of Final Drive Repair

It's a machine. Machines break. Perhaps final drive more than it should, but things break. My HD Ultra ate its stator every 25K. Lost its chain tensioner in 40K. Etc, etc.

Just ride.

Ultra LT
post #3 of 25 Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 11:59 am Thread Starter

Just like I said Ultra LT ... but some money aside.
I figure every day riding costs me $50 in wear and tear, scheduled maintenance, tire, oil and filter changes excluded.

post #4 of 25 Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 12:24 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I was in Grand Junction when my final drive gave out.

$278.00 for Penske Truck rental (50% discount from the nice lady)
$300.00 for gas home (got 11 to 14mpg)
$240.00 parts to repair FD (rebuilt it myself)

On the road again............priceless.............

I would never ride it any further than I could afford to haul it back........

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #5 of 25 Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 5:04 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraLT
It's a machine. Machines break. Perhaps final drive more than it should, but things break.
True, but this is a known failure point on an otherwise excellent bike. Or should I say, range of bikes. BMW's response to this (or really, lack of response) is completely unacceptable and honestly, I'm amazed that they're stills selling bikes.

Y'all are lucky. My latest FD failure (of three total) cost me $2,300 just to get the repaired bike out of the dealer. And that doesn't cover tow trucks, rental cars, hotels, extra food, nor the complete interruption of a week-long trip that I was on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraLT
Just ride.
Honestly, we're trying. I have well over 200K on Beemers, despite how many times they've left me stranded, or how much that has cost me.

So careful with the short, glib answers here.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 25 Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 7:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
True, but this is a known failure point on an otherwise excellent bike. Or should I say, range of bikes. BMW's response to this (or really, lack of response) is completely unacceptable and honestly, I'm amazed that they're stills selling bikes.

Y'all are lucky. My latest FD failure (of three total) cost me $2,300 just to get the repaired bike out of the dealer. And that doesn't cover tow trucks, rental cars, hotels, extra food, nor the complete interruption of a week-long trip that I was on.

Honestly, we're trying. I have well over 200K on Beemers, despite how many times they've left me stranded, or how much that has cost me.

I'm afraid your dead on Meese... Only been on BMW's alittle over 4 years, As an isolated case its a fabulous bike...Yet I've been looking at what to replace it with should and when the occasion arrives..So far I'm clueless as what to get. At first I thought GT but it's in the same category as the LT,GS, or RT..... I'm not loosing any sleep over it but none of my bikes over the last 40 years made me wonder if they would ever break...........Pete
post #7 of 25 Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 8:00 pm

Quote:
...I have well over 200K on Beemers, despite how many times they've left me stranded, or how much that has cost me.

Ken, respectfully, the mantra on THIS SITE is Just Ride It! You yourself state you have had 3.5 BMW FD failures. We on the LDR list have been hammered by WC and TA. You, me, B&S, and a few others tried to explain the situation was not that bad. Well, now it appears to be 'that bad!'

Now, you're whining out loud? No one seemed to care too much until this week when the MOA (with lots of help) published their tome.

So, you gonna' ride that GT in any more rallies, or is an FJR in your future?

Me? I have a nice '05 FD in a box, with tools, a torque wrench, directions and 240ml of 80/90...ready to ship!

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

post #8 of 25 Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 8:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JATownsend
Ken, respectfully, the mantra on THIS SITE is Just Ride It! You yourself state you have had 3.5 BMW FD failures. We on the LDR list have been hammered by WC and TA. You, me, B&S, and a few others tried to explain the situation was not that bad. Well, now it appears to be 'that bad!'

Now, you're whining out loud? No one seemed to care too much until this week when the MOA (with lots of help) published their tome.

So, you gonna' ride that GT in any more rallies, or is an FJR in your future?

Me? I have a nice '05 FD in a box, with tools, a torque wrench, directions and 240ml of 80/90...ready to ship!

Yea Averill, and if I ever throw that fake oil spot up under that sucker again when you're not looking, you'll be replacing that thing for no reason! You shoulda' seen the look on yours and mike's faces!!!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #9 of 25 Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 8:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
Yea Averill, and if I ever throw that fake oil spot up under that sucker again when you're not looking, you'll be replacing that thing for no reason! You shoulda' seen the look on yours and mike's faces!!!
Jack, I love ya' man! But, your "fake oil spot" aged me beyond my years! I now never ride more than 2500 miles from home, and never faster than 126mph! You stole my innocence...

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver

post #10 of 25 Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 12:15 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Ken, respectfully, the mantra on THIS SITE is Just Ride It!
And I have been. But the simple fact is that I no longer trust the bike, or really, the brand. My complaint is with those who can still claim there isn't really a problem, just because they never had a problem. Blind ignorance sure isn't the solution here (even if it works for some folks). And WC and TA are just as bad, only on the other side of the coin, with their whole "the sky is falling" attitude. As for the published articles, there's nothing really new there, except maybe to clarify some of the rumors and get the details out to a wider range of riders.

Quote:
You stole my innocence...
That's a great description. For me, I want to love the bike, but BMW just won't let me.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #11 of 25 Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 12:30 pm

Quote:
For me, I want to love the bike, but BMW just won't let me.
Ken, I hear ya'... But for me its simpler: I love the bike. Its BMW I hate.

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver

post #12 of 25 Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 3:55 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Dam.

I better take my LT out for a test ride to make sure the FD is OK.
Will 100 miles one way for a day trip be fare enough?

Bob, 00 Leaky Type trany seal

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #13 of 25 Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 4:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa
Dam.

I better take my LT out for a test ride to make sure the FD is OK.
Will 100 miles one way for a day trip be fare enough?

Bob, 00 Leaky Type trany seal
No man, you have to ride it until it fails...Then call for help!

Of course, we MAY BE all old and grey by then. But, that's your best option!!

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver

post #14 of 25 Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 5:42 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
I love the bike. Its BMW I hate.
I don't necessarily hate them, I just don't trust them. See my avatar.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #15 of 25 Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 8:32 pm

Quote:
I don't necessarily hate them, I just don't trust them. See my avatar.
Let's see...naked l'il guy, holding his arms up against the power of the corrupt corporation. I do see your trust there, most would run! Me? I don't trust them enough to get that that close!

The brutal reality is that they produce unique bikes that appeal to our needs and wants, with great sophistication, technical innovations and amenities that no other manufacturer offers. So we endure. However reluctantly.

The bikes speak their own truth. We know their flaws and pitfalls. And so, we allow the metal and plastic their failures, because it is at least an honest act. The parts hold no malice.

The company on the other hand is dishonest. It has malice...by the truckload! I can forgive honest failure. I cannot forgive deceit, customer contempt, disinformation and no apparent corporate integrity.

Hence my position. I love the bikes...hate the company.

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver

post #16 of 25 Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 11:32 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Whew!

I made it back home OK from grocery shopping tonight. Twas a beautiful evening for a ride, around 77F when I left.

Trany is still leaking fluid.

Bob 00 Leaky Type

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #17 of 25 Old Nov 4th, 2008, 7:05 am

I need to get my copy of BMWMOA back out. I read the FD article last night. I though they said, that bmw had covered all these failures under warranty. They would not put it in print due to being forced to cover every failure no matter what the circumstances were.. But, the writer was not aware of any failures that were not covered.. I guess I must have been dreaming by that time..
Did BMW help w/ any of the cost of the FD failure??

Jeff

08 R1200GSA
04 K12LT (Sold)
97 R1100GS (Sold)
SS1000--IB # 32778

post #18 of 25 Old Nov 4th, 2008, 9:35 am
Lifetime Supporter

In warranty, covered.
Outa warranty, not covered.
The worst is during CCR, there aren't enough rear ends in the lower 48 to cover the ones that die.

I'm looking forward to CCR09.

Bob, 00 Leaky Type

post #19 of 25 Old Nov 4th, 2008, 9:29 pm

I've had two failures out of warranty and BMW NA didn't help either time.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #20 of 25 Old Nov 4th, 2008, 11:14 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlookin
I though they said, that bmw had covered all these failures under warranty.
Yeah, I argued that point with the author before publication. BMW NA was pretty good about it at first, and covered many of the drives even on bikes that were over mileage. More recently, they've been very hit-and-miss about it all.

My 1st and 3rd failures were both denied up front and I had to pay the whole bill to get my bike back. Both were covered later, but in both cases it took a lot of pressure from me and from my local dealer, even though the repairs were not done by them.

The 2nd FD failure was covered without question, but that was done at a good local dealer who didn't even blink when I trailered the broken bike in. I did pay extra for overnight shipping which I felt was fair, as they would have covered everything if I could have left the bike there for a couple of days.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #21 of 25 Old Nov 4th, 2008, 11:15 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Let's see...naked l'il guy, holding his arms up against the power of the corrupt corporation.
Doesn't anybody get the avatar? Haven't you all read Ayn Rand, or rocked out with the headphones cranked up? Just Google 2112 or better yet, go directly to Wikipedia or even YouTube.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #22 of 25 Old Nov 4th, 2008, 11:27 pm

First FD about 6 month out of warranty, 100% covered. 2nd, three years out of warranty, covered parts only. 3rd, still doing ok.

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #23 of 25 Old Nov 5th, 2008, 7:37 am

Quote:
Doesn't anybody get the avatar? Haven't you all read Ayn Rand, or rocked out with the headphones cranked up? Just Google 2112 or better yet, go directly to Wikipedia or even YouTube.
Ayn Rand, Yes...Cranked headphones, no...I guess I lead a sheltered life! But, I thought you might be open for various intrepretations! I guess not, huh?

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver

post #24 of 25 Old Nov 5th, 2008, 9:30 pm

The absolute best FD insurance is to buy a used final drive from someone who has wrecked or triked, have it rebuilt and then pack it with any tools that YOU may need to install it on the road and leave it with a trusted friend when you go on a cross country jaunt. When the failure get out your anonymous book and find a new friend with a garage and a place to crash for a few days. Call home and have the drive sent to you, then repack the old drive up and ship it back to your re-builder for the next time. Now take your new friend out for a steak then get back on and to quote someone else on this list " ride it like you stole it".

There is no better ride than a LT, even with a few minor flaws.

Hackercraft
03 LTE
72 75/5 Gone to a new home
03 R1200CLC Hannigan Classic ordered

BMWOA # 134205

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
post #25 of 25 Old Nov 6th, 2008, 5:03 am

Curious about what technique(s) the rider might have that contribute to the FD failures? I don't beat the clutch, rapidly up/down shift, I change the fluid every 3-5k miles, or otherwise "abuse" the bike.

I've read other threads about clutch failure without fluid leakages; some don't know why they failed. But then, I read the responses about feathering the clutch with RPM at 2-3k when 2-up, etc. when I rarely exceed 1500 rpm when starting from a stop with 2-up.

What rider technique, or bad habits, may contribute to parts failures?

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in