Another final drive failure?? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 2:13 am Thread Starter

Another final drive failure??

I have 60,000+ miles on my 2002. Changed the oil less than 500 miles ago. Looked closely at the oil and cap ... no metal. Suddenly started feeling a weard vibration. Checked the rear drive oil first. Good. Drained the almost new oil. First thing I saw was that the oil color was grey. Checked the magnet and sure enought a few metal flakes. What should I do?
1. Cry
2. Keep driving and pray for healing!
3. Throw the bike in the trash?
4. (I probably should not continue with this ...)

I guess I'll but some oil in it and take one last hour ride and hope I get back. I bet I'm down for several months here in Thailand ...

Michael L. Lempenau
85/41 Moo7, T.Nongjom, A.Sunsai
Chiang Mai, 50210, Thailand
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 10:27 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Another final drive failure??

Michael,

If you have shiney flakes do not ride any furthur. It is not that difficult or costly to re-build at this point. Usually all you will need if the big bearing which is going for under 100 US$ now and a few shims. I don't know what your skill set is but CharlieVT put together a good video on rebuilding the drive.

Riding it further at this point will only cause additional damage.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 10:44 am

I've yet to suffer the dreaded FD failure, but CharlieVT sent me his video, and after watching that, I no longer live in constant fear. The repair seem pretty straight forward. In fact so much so that I believe I'm going to tear mine down just as a preventative maintainance measure. Ask Charlie for the video, it's nicely done.

Thanks Charlie.

post #4 of 9 Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 1:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
I've yet to suffer the dreaded FD failure, but CharlieVT sent me his video, and after watching that, I no longer live in constant fear. The repair seem pretty straight forward. In fact so much so that I believe I'm going to tear mine down just as a preventative maintainance measure. Ask Charlie for the video, it's nicely done.

Thanks Charlie.
You're welcome, and thanks.

The video is viewable from this site's server.

http://www.bmwlt.com/uploads/lt_final_drive_rebuild.wmv
post #5 of 9 Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 4:30 pm

I'll send BMW a copy for their website

Warm & Safe Heated Clothing Sale- Lowest Prices!!

Contact Me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 4:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Michael,

If you have shiney flakes do not ride any furthur. It is not that difficult or costly to re-build at this point. Usually all you will need if the big bearing which is going for under 100 US$ now and a few shims. I don't know what your skill set is but CharlieVT put together a good video on rebuilding the drive.

Riding it further at this point will only cause additional damage.
John is correct.
The bearing is $75, shims go for $10 and the seal cost is $30. If you have the tools Charlie VT supplies the know how. Providing the crown bearing is the only correction required, for $115 and a little sweat you are good to go.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #7 of 9 Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 7:38 pm

Thumbs up Re: Another final drive failure??

CharlieVT,

After watching your video, the mystery surrounding the final drive failure is now gone. Your bearing swapout and the measurement for the preload have now given me insight into what needs to be done if and when my final drive decides to let go. I'm on my second K-12, both was and is a 2001. I now have well over 110,000 miles on the two, and have continually worried about a final drive failure on the road. Thanks again for your time in putting the video together, I feel confident that I could do the repair if necessary, hopefully it will never be. Will be in the market for a new bike in a year anyway, but clearly understanding the failure and its repair puts my mind at ease somewhat. Best, Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
You're welcome, and thanks.

The video is viewable from this site's server.

http://www.bmwlt.com/uploads/lt_final_drive_rebuild.wmv

Bob
post #8 of 9 Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 7:49 pm

If I were you, I would get a newer one on Ebay and replace instead of rebulding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlempenau
I have 60,000+ miles on my 2002. Changed the oil less than 500 miles ago. Looked closely at the oil and cap ... no metal. Suddenly started feeling a weard vibration. Checked the rear drive oil first. Good. Drained the almost new oil. First thing I saw was that the oil color was grey. Checked the magnet and sure enought a few metal flakes. What should I do?
1. Cry
2. Keep driving and pray for healing!
3. Throw the bike in the trash?
4. (I probably should not continue with this ...)

I guess I'll but some oil in it and take one last hour ride and hope I get back. I bet I'm down for several months here in Thailand ...

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

post #9 of 9 Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 3:56 am Thread Starter

Thanks for all the comments. I downloaded the video and watched it. I agree that after watching him do it I have no qualms about doing this myself. So I guess you all know what I'm going to be doing the next few days. The only problem is that getting parts over here is a two week delay ... that's if I order them myself and have my dad ship them to me without using Fedex. The BMW dealer over here would take 4-6 weeks and cost me a lot more.

Michael L. Lempenau
85/41 Moo7, T.Nongjom, A.Sunsai
Chiang Mai, 50210, Thailand

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in